Jump to content
Olaf

75 workflow improvements to make Cakewalk more intuitive (+ appearance, implementation, etc.)

Recommended Posts

Hi, everyone,

I’m a relatively new Cakewalk user, switching from Reason.

I love Cakewalk, the sound, the options, the features (I found the Pro Channel awesome), the graphic interface, the modularity, and the countless options.

The sound of the embedded tools, to me, is light years ahead of my experience with Reason, and the modularity opens up a lot of versatility in terms of the sound you can achieve.

I've found there are, however, a few workflow improvements that can be made, in my opinion, to make working in Cakewalk almost reflex, without having to think, and allow you to focus exclusively on the sound, instead of procedures and workarounds - things that you would intuitively do, but aren't available, things that can replace more complicated operations and looking through menus, mass inserts and adjustments of modules, replicating settings, etc.

So I put together a list of suggestions, a few weeks ago. It's around 75 items, and it covers everything from glitches to appearance, but mainly workflow improvements. I'd like to see how many of you guys would like to see them implemented, too, and hope to see as many of them in future releases.

I’ve grouped them into three categories, one about necessary fixes, which refer mainly to stability, the ability to remember settings, etc. The second one refers to improvements in the workflow, which could see a better, streamlined processes, some inspired from my experience with Reason, most just by working, and recording my go to reflexes or natural wishes. The third one is a list of personal wishes, that would make Cakewalk like a present box – kind of the cherry on top - and complete in every aspect, at least, to my personal subjective wishes.

So here they go. Hope you find them desirable.

Cheers and happy holidays!

 

PS> Any idea that you think is useful, and you would like to see implemented, you can select individually and then click on the "quote selection" pop-up, to add in your reply. With enough support, maybe we can see them in the future.


 

Improvements

A. Instrument Tracks

  1. “Assign to track” option in the instrument/soft synth creation dialog, in the rack, which replace instrument in Instrument Tracks and convert MIDI track to Instrument track, if synth is assigned to a MIDI track. All the in/out associations and conversion of MIDI track to Instrument track be done automatically on “assigning to track”, or menu selection.
  2. Allow the Synth Rack and browser windows to be opened in the Console View (both docked and undocked mode).
  3. Drag and drop soft synth in the free space (Track and Console View) creates Instrument Track (or right click in the free space).
  4. Drag and drop soft synth on track (other than in the FX box) (Track and Console View) replaces soft synth in Instrument Track.
  5. Drag and drop instrument/synth on MIDI track automatically converts to Instrument Track – in both Track and Console view.
  6. Open instruments/synths, in the Console View, on double click on the track icon, instead of opening the icon menu. To open the icon menu, right click. Being able to open instrument/soft synth in the Console view is very important during the mixing process, as there is often need to adjust parameters – output volume, reverb, EQ or compression adjustments in light of any PC adjustments and blending you need to do – for the instruments that allow internal FX options, etc. As of now you need you need a few clicks, and flipping through the windows, to do that.
  7. “Replace Synth” option in the Console view, on right click on the instrument icon of Track, same as in the Track View.

B. Undo

  1. Make Undo operate for all actions performed in the DAW, including PC module/VST plugin parameter variations.

C. MIDI Editing Workflow (Track View)

  1. Double click in free area writes default length note in PRV, just like now.
  2. Double click and drag writes variable length note, instead of single click and drag, like now.
  3. Select area/note in PRV with left click – instead of right click, which is counter intuitive. Same for automation nodes, etc.
  4. Double click on note deletes it, exactly the opposite of writing it, instead of right click, which is counter intuitive. Provides symmetrical and reflex write/delete, with the same operation.
  5. Right click on note/note selection opens up processing FX menu, with Transpose, Quantize, and other usual note editing options available directly in the menu.
  6. Quantize, Transpose, Time Stretch, and Velocity be available as direct options on the right-click-on-clip menu, instead of being found in the FX tree submenu, like know – that unnecessarily complicates access. The other, less usual FX stay in the sub tree menu, under “Other FX”. This simplifies access to the most usual operations.
  7. Double click on empty lane of Instrument/MIDI track, in Clip Mode, creates clip to default size. Double click and drag creates clip to drag size.
  8. Double click on title bar of clip opens PRV, in Notes mode, just as in Clip mode. Also consistent with the usual navigation behavior in all software, where double clicking on item opens it.
  9. Resize clip, Fade In/Fade Out available in Notes Mode, just as in Clip mode. This provides consistent behavior between Notes/Clip visualizations, and allows for quick access to PRV, without having to check or toggle the visualization in the track properties.
  10. Double click on wave clip opens Clip Editing View (Auto Zoom In), where you can micro cut, delete, move audio to grid, etc.
  11. Clicking on note in Piano Roll View (PRV) plays note.
  12. Copying (CTRL+C) of clip automatically positions the cursor at the end of clip.
  13. Stretch/length note adjustment menu on right click menu, on note selection/clip.

C. Audio & Track Management (Track View)

  1. Selecting track + DEL deletes track (with/without confirmation dialog), and not the last selected clips in track - change selection focus to track on track select (also see Console View DEL track).
  2. Selecting FX module + DEL deletes module (also see Console View DEL track).
  3. Audio clip copy and paste to take place in the track lane where mouse cursor is placed (placing cursor in a track lane automatically selects that track for pasting).
  4. Drag and drop (import) audio over MIDI track automatically opens Extract MIDI dialog.
  5. Moving cursor on upper ruler bar takes into account the current Snap To setting.
  6. Closing any open Region FX window reverts to the previous active View, not to automatically to the Console View, as it does now.
  7. Export Audio Clip option on right click menu – export directly “as is” without any processing.
  8. Adjust amplitude of audio clips with on-clip Volume knob (Audition style).

D. Pro Channel Module Options, Mix Tracks (Console View)

  1. Click on EQ graph window in Track to open full EQ window, not only in PC, like now. Eliminates unnecessary clicking and scrolling.
  2. Allow EQ window to be freely repositioned on the screen.
  3. CTRL + Mouse adjustment adjusts any parameter of any PC module (including menu choice for reverb types in REmatrix) across all tracks containing that module, without having to select any tracks. When you select specific tracks, the adjustment only applies to selected tracks. Right now, that option is only available for Power On/Power Off, and for selected tracks only.
  4. CTRL + Insert PC Module on a Pro Channel automatically inserts that module on all tracks. If specific tracks are selected, the insert is made on all selected tracks.
  5. Copy/Paste function for PC Modules across tracks. The pasted PC Module retains all the settings of the original, copied one.
  6. Patch/Setting copy/paste function for PC Modules across tracks. Same as above, but referring exclusively to copying settings from one module to the other.
  7. Drag and Drop PC Module from on track to another, same way as for FXs (again, consistent, intuitive behavior throughout). If the target track doesn’t contain the respective PC module, drop inserts PC Module, with the original settings. If the PC Module is already inserted, drag and drop copies the settings.
  8. Mass insert/changes settings of PC Modules: CTRL + Drag and Drop PC Module on any of the tracks of a selection automatically inserts/changes settings of the corresponding PC Module on all selected tracks.
  9. Mass duplicate FX modules: CTRL + Drag and Drop FX plugin on any track of a selection automatically inserts that FX plugin on all selected tracks (same as above).
  10. Mass track reroute (Select tracks + select route menu option in any of the selected tracks).
  11. Track focus change when clicking on track, instead of only on the track number, like now. Makes it easier and faster to select, without having to think where to click.
  12. "Duplicate Track" option in the Console View, in the right click menu, same as in the Track View.
  13. Moving/reordering tracks by click (in any area without commands, including icon area) and drop, in Console view, without pressing ALT, like now. That seems unnecessary. The exact same way it now happens in the Track View, where ALT is not needed - have the exact procedure for the same thing, across the different views, for consistent behavior. That complicates things unnecessarily, and makes you need to remember different procedures for the exact thing, instead of just being immersed, and performing tasks on reflex.
  14. Selecting track/FX plugin/PC Module + DEL deletes track/FX plugin/PC Module (with/without confirmation dialog). Right now, when you select a track/FX module, and press DEL, in Console View, it deletes any previously selected audio/note clips in the Sequencer, which is strange.
  15. In Console View, make the Module Menu available as a graphic section with toggle buttons (maybe on the docking bar) for opening or collapsing any of the sections of the Console (for instance “Sends”, and any other module existing in the Module Menu), instead of opening/collapsing it from the View menu.
  16. New Open Bus Section toggle button to fully expand the Master/Buses section of the Console View, to the right, to full view (taking into account their current visualization settings – collapsed, PC open, etc.) the same the PC/Properties section does, to the left; then resume previous position on reclick of toggle button.
  17. Stereo/Mono toggle button on instrument tracks, same as on audio tracks. It could work by enforcing mono/stereo mode on source VSTs, same as the check option available in the VST Properties/shell.
  18. Solo override Mute – on Soloing a muted track, play solo track(s) as if it/they weren’t muted.
  19. Allow renaming of FX modules.

E. Song Playing/Navigation

  1. On activating Play In Loop, Punch In Recording, etc., automatically use current selection to, without having to additionally click on "set selection to", first. That seems unnecessary.
  2. Allow cursor to play outside the loop, even with "Loop" button on, after stop and replay, if you set it to a position outside the loop, and only play within the loop if placed anywhere inside it.
  3. Allow the Now Slider in the Control Bar to readjust cursor position while playing.
  4. On “Stop Rewind Marker To Now Position” selected in Track View/Options, Stop button leaves cursor in current playing position. Pressing stop again moves cursor to Now position. Repeated Stop button pressing toggles between the two. This way that setting can be eliminated altogether. Pressing Stop once leaves cursor where in current position. Pressing Stop twice goes to Now position. Simple to use. Both options are available at all times without setting modifications, and the behavior keeps consistent on all projects.
  5. Allow navigator to be repositioned at the bottom of screen, above the control bar, in track view. Allow to make that default for all projects, and also remember position automatically for each project.
  6. Moving VSTs into different categories, in the browser, by drag and drop into folder, same as in Windows Explorer.
  7. Aim Assist for position cursor on Time Ruler be placed above/under the Time Ruler, without hindering viewing of cursor on the ruler.
  8. Mouse Scroll wheel moves slider on both scroll bars (vertical and horizontal scrolling), on placing cursor over them - in all Workspaces.

F. Saving

  1. Saving project automatically resets autosave counters to zero. No need for autosave to kick in only seconds after the project has been manually saved.
  2. Disable automatic autosave after each undo. Let autosave work according to the setting in preferences without additional interventions. Unnecessary autosave takes time and interrupts flow.

G. Appearance

  1. Add transparency slider for background (native theme) colors, in the track color change dialog (and only for the colored track areas). This will allow track colors to be less affected by the native theme (dark/light/etc.) and display closer to their natural hue.
  2. Allow marker/song sections in the Track View, which can be selected as blocks/chunks, to be assigned individual colors - will affect the background of the section, and not the clip colors - this will help easily visualizing song sections in one glance.

Necessary fixes

H. Crashing

  1. Fixing crashing on VST conflicts – why not just isolate the conflicting VST, and close it, instead of letting it crash the DAW (with maybe an explicit message as to what the problem is). I get crashes when clicking on the stereo/mono toggle button on the Master fader, when I try to reorder tracks in the Track View, when I bulk adjust PC modules pots in the Console view, and in all kinds or random situations. It’s either VSTs that crash the program, or even PC modules. That’s a big issue.

I. Remember Project settings (these are on my machine, I don't know if everybody has them, it might vary from one person to the next)

  1. Fixing irregular behavior where the Control bar setup is not remembered, on project open.
  2. Fixing irregular behavior where mass variation of the REmatrix across several selected tracks (CTRL + mouse adjustment) during playback causes the knobs to move to different values.
  3. Fixing irregular behavior where VSTs that use crosstalk among tracks reset their settings to the default values, under various circumstances.
  4. Remember the open/collapsed status of one knob plugin windows, in the Pro Channel of Instrument tracks, on project open (Console View). They always start up as open, on project reload, and need to be reclosed individually, which is really annoying.
  5. Remember the order of the Browser, Synth Rack and Help windows, in the right side dock, which always resets on project re-open.
  6. Remember the Track View>MIDI/Show Velocity in MIDI clips visualization setting for projects.
  7. Remember the Track View>VIEW/Auto Track Zoom setting for projects.
  8. Remember the PRV controller pane parameter choice.

J. Drivers

  1. Recognize 24 bit ASIO drivers, instead of 16 bit, on some soundcards (for instance SB Audigy series).
  2. On engine dropouts, don’t stop playing, reset the engine, and keep playing – this has already been implemented in the 2019.11 release.
  3. Allow projects to work with no MIDI out selection in Preferences/Drivers, or provide a "No MIDI out" check option, instead of allowing the lack of selection of a midi out to cause all synths loaded to automatically be assigned as midi out destination for all midi tracks, which causes the project to behave erratically.

Awesome

K.

  1. Add the SSL 4K channel compressor (complete with Autogain and Peak attack mode, just as the original – I know this may be too much to ask, but those features are magical in the SSL channel compressor - autogain basically tells you what the best compression setting is, and the peak mode allows for tracks to be sent back in the mix without audibly impacting the attack), as third Pro Channel compressor option.
  2. Add the CA-2A compressor to the Pro Channel, and as insert FX. I think Cakewalk's is one of the best emulations in the business (have it as a free RE in Reason).
  3. New Wow/Flutter knob in the Tape Emulator. Maybe review the high/mid-high freq softening in the Tape Emulator.
  4. Separate one knob modules in the Pro Channels for Harshness, separate for guitars, and Drums/vocals. The general one available now, is a great idea, and I love it, and use it, but it’s kind of in the middle.
  5. HP + LP filters added to the REMatrix Solo, on the wet signal, and integrated within the PC interface.
  6. Pro Channel modules available as insert FXs.
  7. Fully programmable shortcuts, without limitations.
Edited by Olaf
illiteracy, as usual
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 2
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Allow the Synth Rack and browser windows to be opened in the Console View (both docked and undocked mode).

If I understand what you are asking for, this is currently possible (1) by dragging and dropping the Synth Rack and Browser onto the MultiDock and (2) by using the Docking Options and choosing Dock in MultiDock--at least on my PC. Also, the MultiDock can be undocked as a whole so the Synth Rack and Browser are there as tabs.

image.png.27caba491c538696485fa2ea3eb34d66.png

Also, for some of your other points, have you tried (1) Screensets and (2) Workspaces? 

I have quite a number of workspaces with very different Control Bar Settings and when I load them up, the Control Bars are fairly consistent in returning to the ways they were stored.

Edited by User 905133
to add a question about screensets and workspaces
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble with 'laundry list' posts is that trying to have an ongoing exchange of information, ideas and opinions about any one of them rapidly leads to total chaos. Suffice it to say:

- All crash/bug/fix scenarios will require detailed steps to reproduce in order for Dev to have any chance of fixing them;  many of them are not reproducible as described for me.

- Many features mentioned already exist in very near or exactly the form described (as I understand them).

- Many suggested changes to UI input/tool behaviors would need to be optional in order not to foul up long-time users who have adapted to the current implementation, and allowing this kind of customization inherently compromises maintainability/supportability. A  lot of the complexity that new users complain about is due to the already vast  array of preferences and options, and the difficulty of relating an unexpected/undesired behavior to a setting.

EDIT: That said, I should add that I think there's some good stuff here, too.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2019 at 6:08 PM, User 905133 said:

If I understand what you are asking for, this is currently possible (1) by dragging and dropping the Synth Rack and Browser onto the MultiDock and (2) by using the Docking Options and choosing Dock in MultiDock--at least on my PC. Also, the MultiDock can be undocked as a whole so the Synth Rack and Browser are there as tabs.

image.png.27caba491c538696485fa2ea3eb34d66.png

Also, for some of your other points, have you tried (1) Screensets and (2) Workspaces? 

I have quite a number of workspaces with very different Control Bar Settings and when I load them up, the Control Bars are fairly consistent in returning to the ways they were stored.

Thanks, man! I didn't know that, and it's actually really useful information. I'm probably gonna have them docked in every project from now on.

I'll still leave that suggestion there, though, because it would make dragging and dropping easier than having to flip through windows back and forth, on the dock bar, for every intervention. And it could be achieved very easily, with just adding the double arrow button just above the up arrow of the side slider, which is also its natural position in the Track View.

Happy holidays!

Edited by Olaf
* "Track View" instead of "Console View".
  • Like 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, guys, thanks for your interventions! I've read them.

21 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

each point should be a seperate post, to get attention/discussion, good luck

I was looking on the forum, and there are already about 2,500 separate posts 😯 requesting features or improvements.

Didn't want to add up another 75 separate posts, just thought to put up a centralized file with everything that I've bumped into/wished could be done while working, with the idea of everyone singling out what they want themselves (or if they don't), if someone already exists, etc.

Don't think it's s good idea to go into endless debating or philosophising on any of them, Gearslutz style, that can only lead to disappointment and bitterness 🤣.

 

22 hours ago, David Baay said:

The trouble with 'laundry list' posts is that trying to have an ongoing exchange of information, ideas and opinions about any one of them rapidly leads to total chaos. Suffice it to say:

- All crash/bug/fix scenarios will require detailed steps to reproduce in order for Dev to have any chance of fixing them;  many of them are not reproducible as described for me.

- Many features mentioned already exist in very near or exactly the form described (as I understand them).

- Many suggested changes to UI input/tool behaviors would need to be optional in order not to foul up long-time users who have adapted to the current implementation, and allowing this kind of customization inherently compromises maintainability/supportability. A  lot of the complexity that new users complain about is due to the already vast  array of preferences and options, and the difficulty of relating an unexpected/undesired behavior to a setting.

EDIT: That said, I should add that I think there's some good stuff here, too.

Crashes: yeah, I've said that myself, that's been my experience, on my machine. You can add your own, as well.

Existing features: if you know of any specific features that already exist and I don't know of, list them here, I'll be glad to take them off the list, it's all the better. I didn't just write any of this to fill my time, you can imagine. Do you have any examples?

Workflow behavior: actually, if you read the list of suggestions, the only change to the current workflow would be double-click and drag (instead of single click) on custom length note drawing, and selection with mouse left-click, instead of right-click - which is the reflex, and norm in all programs, anyway. The rest is about providing extra options, and simplifications, not removing or changing anything. This tells me you've probably not read the post through, but just concluded, and you've read in order to reply. It's alright, though, read, and if you see another change somewhere, point it out, if you don't like it.

Thanks for taking the time to write, anyway, I really wish to see these implemented, and the more easy, adaptive and intuitive the workflow gets, we all stand nothing bu to benefit. I'm not out to mess up anybody's work here. We're all in the same boat.

Happy holidays!

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screw that list.  I want MY list implemented.

1)  Quit making Velocity the default event in the PRV controller pane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Thanks, man! I didn't know that, and it's actually really useful information. I'm probably gonna have them docked in every project from now on.

I'll still leave that suggestion there, though, because it would make dragging and dropping easier than having to flip through windows back and forth, on the dock bar, for every intervention. And it could be achieved very easily, with just adding the double arrow button just above the up arrow of the side slider, which is also its natural position in the Console View.

Happy holidays!

Glad you found it useful!  🙂 

As for having your multi-dock set up the same way and saved in each project, keep in mind that you can store screen sets which are per project layouts, plus you can lock screen sets so that if you move them around temporarily , you can still return to the locked screen set. However, since Workspaces are global, you can design and save a  Workspace with those panes as tabs in the multidock and then just select that Workspace. No need to do that for each project.

There are a number of posts about Workspaces [formerly Lenses] you might want to read, if you haven't seen them already.

If you want to leave the list, you might want to edit them one-by-one with a strikethrough  for items on your list that  you find out how to do.

Quote
  • Allow the Synth Rack and browser windows to be opened in the Console View (both docked and undocked mode).

Just a thought.

Edited by User 905133
fix typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olaf said:

actually, if you read the list of suggestions, the only change to the current workflow would be double-click and drag (instead of single click) on custom length note drawing, and selection with mouse left-click, instead of right-click - which is the reflex, and norm in all programs, anyway.

Actually, I did read the post fairly thoroughly, and your suggested changes to PRV tools are exactly what I was referring to. I don't have the time and patience to respond to everything at once, especially knowing that I might have misunderstood some of them, but here are a few quick examples:

Screensets, Workspaces and the Multidock  have already been mentioned as solutions to getting persistent and desired window layouts, and will also likely account for Control Bar and Autozoom persistence issues.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, Olaf said:

Mass track reroute (Select tracks + select route menu option in any of the selected tracks).

As you may know, holding Ctrl while changing a control in one of two or more selected tracks change all of them; this is Quick Grouping. It works with I/O assignments as well.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, Olaf said:

Clicking on note in Piano Roll View (PRV) plays note.

That should already be happening. Make a separate post to troubleshoot.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, Olaf said:

Audio clip copy and paste to take place in the track lane where mouse cursor is placed (placing cursor in a track lane automatically selects that track for pasting).

Cakewalk deliberately differentiates between selection (the source of a copy), and focus (the target of a copy). This facilitates all kinds of track-to-track and lane-to-lane editing that wouldn't be possible if clicking in a lane moved both selection and focus.  What might work would be to have clicking in an empty part of a lane move just the focus there, but the possible consequences to other workflows would need to be considered.

Edited by David Baay
Typoes, typoes, typoes. Getting sloppy in my old age. ;^)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2019 at 6:53 PM, David Baay said:

As you may know, holding Ctrl while changing a control in one of two or more selected tracks change all of them; this is Quick Grouping. It works with I/O assignments as well.

I've just tried it and it works. I had tried the same thing on the room menu in REmatrix, and it didn't worked. I assumed it was the same thing. Striking it off from the list.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:53 PM, David Baay said:

That should already be happening. Make a separate post to troubleshoot.

Yeah, that works, too, I don't know why it didn't work before. Striking off.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:53 PM, David Baay said:

Cakewalk deliberately differentiates between selection (the source of a copy), and focus (the target of a copy). This facilitates all kinds of track-to-track and lane-to-lane editing that wouldn't be possible if clicking in a lane moved both selection and focus.  What might work would be to have clicking in an empty part of a lane move just the focus there, but the possible consequences to other workflows would need to be considered.

Absolutely agree with you, but why not have that focus work easier, cause you still need to replace the cursor every time?

It could change focus when you click on the audio lane where you want something copied, and not have to think about it. It saves a lot of clicks when you distribute clips across tracks, but most importantly, it avoids a lot of thinking and checking. My annoyance with it was when I just did it with the mouse cursor in different lanes, cause it felt natural, and saw the clip pasted wherever and, as you know, the activated track is not the same with the selected track, in Cakewalk, so I always had to check which track was last selected in the process, and always remember to check before pasting, and reselect the right one - it's a mental hassle, more, that distracts you. I think it's easier to just select the clip, CTR+C, then put the cursor in the audio/track lane and CTRL+V, and that's it, without having to worry.

Anything you like, and would like to see implemented, it all the suggestions?

Merry Christmas!

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2019 at 6:28 PM, RobertWS said:

Screw that list.  I want MY list implemented.

1)  Quit making Velocity the default event in the PRV controller pane.

Screw your suggestion 😅. What do you want as default?

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2019 at 6:50 PM, User 905133 said:

If you want to leave the list, you might want to edit them one-by-one with a strikethrough  for items on your list that  you find out how to do.

Yeah, I know, I've already striked through two of them. I'm gonna leave the suggestion on, though, even though I'm gonna use your advice, by keeping the browser minimized over the console, cause I find it harder to click and drag across different flipping windows, everytime. I'd much rather have it open in the console, with automatic sliding of the bus, and drag and drop at will, just like you can do in the Track View, then close it, and recall it again easily, when you need it, from a click arrow, or mass select tracks, and drag and drop on all at once, which is another suggestion. Basically, all that you can do in the Track View, available in the Console, plus the mass drag.

I'd appreciated if you listed the ones you'd like, too.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Olaf
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olaf said:

I think it's easier to just select the clip, CTR+C, then put the cursor in the audio/track lane and CTRL+V, and that's it, without having to worry.

The only difference now is you need to click in the lane header to move focus instead of an empty part of the lane. My usual sequence  for pasting a  selected clip from one track to another at the same location (when not  Shift+dragging) is:

- F7 (restored pre-X1 shortcut for Now=From).

- Click to focus target lane/track.

- Ctrl+C,V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Screw your suggestion 😅. What do you want as default?

The default should be what ever I set it to last.  One or more events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RobertWS said:

The default should be what ever I set it to last.  One or more events.

I've got several things like that listed under remember project settings. I've added yours, too.

Choose what you like from the list, hopefully if there's enough of us asking for them, we'll have them in the future. Merry Christmas!

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, David Baay said:

The only difference now is you need to click in the lane header to move focus instead of an empty part of the lane. My usual sequence  for pasting a  selected clip from one track to another at the same location (when not  Shift+dragging) is:

- F7 (restored pre-X1 shortcut for Now=From).

- Click to focus target lane/track.

- Ctrl+C,V

You have to click on both, first to select, then to place the cursor. But it's not even the repeated extra click, it's always needing to check and thinking about it, instead of following the reflex. Would there be a bad side in having the focus shift with just clicking in the track lane?

Do you have stuff that you'd like to see implemented? If you do, it would be great for you to point it out.

The idea is to raise enough voices to have what we would like implemented. Because the guys are open, that's extraordinary, and the idea is that the relationship is mutual.

We also help them in making the program as smoothly, simply and intuitively flowing as possible, with no technical hindrances, workflow, etc. Cakewalk is often reproached being too complex. Not that it's bad, it's good to have many options, but some seem accomplished in rather complicated ways. And many can be easily accomplished in simpler ways. I'd like to have as much as possible be done on simple gestures, without thinking too much - it gets you out of the flow.

Merry Christmas!

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olaf said:

I've got several things like that listed under remember project settings.

Sadly, probably only for me, I use pure MIDI files and not projects.  I would like it a system preference and not project based.  

Merry Christmas to you too!

Edited by RobertWS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Olaf said:

You have to click on both, first to select, then to place the cursor. But it's not even the repeated extra click, it's always needing to check and thinking about it, instead of following the reflex. Would there be a bad side in having the focus shift with just clicking in the track lane?

Do you have stuff that you'd like to see implemented? If you do, it would be great for you to point it out.

The idea is to raise enough voices to have what we would like implemented. Because the guys are open, that's extraordinary, and the idea is that the relationship is mutual.

We also help them in making the program as smoothly, simply and intuitively flowing as possible, with no technical hindrances, workflow, etc. Cakewalk is often reproached being too complex. Not that it's bad, it's good to have many options, but some seem accomplished in rather complicated ways. And many can be easily accomplished in simpler ways. I'd like to have as much as possible be done on simple gestures, without thinking too much - it gets you out of the flow.

Merry Christmas!

For someone who wants more simplification within CbB you’ve made your post too complex to participate in by adding too many points of discussion. Your determination not to take the advice already given will see little discussion or attention from Cakewalk. The very people you want your message  to influence. Too bad. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Michael Vogel ( MUDGEL) said:

For someone who wants more simplification within CbB you’ve made your post too complex to participate in by adding too many points of discussion. Your determination not to take the advice already given will see little discussion or attention from Cakewalk. The very people you want your message  to influence. Too bad. 

War and Peace is complex, this is a two minute read, with separate, simple ideas aligned under each other. It's better than making 75 separate topics, I think, I've answered that already.

 

I've already struck two of the points through, already, and added a different one, after the first few replies, it's strange that you're mentioning "a determination to not take advice given". Cause I felt it was the exact contrary.

 

But, in the end, you know what?

 

The idea is to see who else wants to see these workflow options in Cakewalk and ask for them together, not to bend my own experience and wishes about CwbB, according to additional comments that may not even pertain to the ideas themselves. That is not to say that I haven't taken into account valid points, already, which, IMO, I have.

 

In the end, I think you're missing the point: I didn't post this as a nitpicking contest, or expressing anxiety on the idea of a change, even as minor, and simplifying as it is, or just not liking that the list doesn't look exactly as you might wish, or making it personal, for those reasons, or others I don't understand, or anything like that.

 

It's about - do you want these things in your own workflow in Cakewalk, and think - the suggestions, not me - will simplify your life, and your future work, or not? That's all it is.

 

If you don't, that OK. If you do, even better, we can add our voices to get them. But if you do, but don't support them, because you don't like the length, or the tone, or I honestly don't know what, I think that's missing the point.

 

And I seriously can't think that, of all the 75 ideas, this is the only thing that you thought about saying - and not only you - and that NONE of them is a good one, and something you would like to have in Cakewalk - not for me, again, but for yourself.

 

So, in the end, if anybody wants to talk constructively, about the ideas, I'm all open to it, that's why I've posted them here. If you want to make it about egos, or how you would have liked the post instead, or how we shouldn't improve on the program, cause that would mean change - again, 99% of the ideas are not about change, but about additions - and not even talking about the suggestions themselves, which took some time and effort to put together - better not bother.

 

Happy holidays!

Edited by Olaf
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems you have a passion for using lots of words. My comment had nothing to do with egos, nor am I trying to trivialise your efforts. Nonetheless from more than 20 years working with Cakewalk, the software and the people, dressing your requests in a War and Peace length post will not bring you the result you desire. 
It’s a case of more posts each containing less words is what’s required to get your many points across, one at a time. 
This was the very first suggestion made but you clearly weren’t convinced. Believe it or not I’m really just trying to give you helpful advice. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...