Roland FA-06 61-Key Music Workstation

cclarry

51 minutes ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

If only Roland would make a more standard Mod and Pitchwheel or even a breakout box style mod and Pitchwheel that could be plugged in and override the Built in one for those who prefer the standard for studio work. 

Who makes good breakout box pitchwheels?

2 hours ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

If only Roland would make a more standard Mod and Pitchwheel or even a breakout box style mod and Pitchwheel that could be plugged in and override the Built in one for those who prefer the standard for studio work. 

Just to illustrate why you can never please everyone, I've always wished that other manufacturers would adopt the Roland method. The movement just seems more natural to me. For me the problem with Roland keyboards that I've seen in recent years is that they all look and feel a bit flimsy and cheap which would be ok if they were but they're not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, paulo said:

Just to illustrate why you can never please everyone, I've always wished that other manufacturers would adopt the Roland method. The movement just seems more natural to me. For me the problem with Roland keyboards that I've seen in recent years is that they all look and feel a bit flimsy and cheap which would be ok if they were but they're not.

True. Many good keyboardists (unlike myself who is not a keyboardist) like the Roland Approach. Still, the problem is if you want to use the mod wheel to control the expression of a String library you can't have it bouncing back like it does with the Roland approach and holding it in place doesn't seem all that practical. Of course, you could just reassign the expression parameter to a slider which would solve that issue but also an extra step when most string library defaults are to have expression tied to the mod-wheel.

8 hours ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

True. Many good keyboardists (unlike myself who is not a keyboardist) like the Roland Approach. Still, the problem is if you want to use the mod wheel to control the expression of a String library you can't have it bouncing back like it does with the Roland approach and holding it in place doesn't seem all that practical. Of course, you could just reassign the expression parameter to a slider which would solve that issue but also an extra step when most string library defaults are to have expression tied to the mod-wheel.

I see your point re orchestral stuff, The RD2000 has the best of both worlds......

features_bender_and_wheels.jpg

I have occasionally tried to justify buying one to myself but the unfortunate truth is that it's OTT for what I need.

I always figured that their d-beam controller would be good for stuff like that too but I've never tried it.

Edited by paulo
  • Like 1