Sampler terminology. Answered myself. Closed.

Kurre

Question

When it's written that a samplers soundsamples is multilayer isn't that wrong?

Shouldn't it be that a samplers soundsamples is multisequence?

My logic tells me that a layer is together with something and a sequence is after something.

Sure, stereo could be considered multilayer.

Does it mean that a multilayered soundsample is built like a wav-file with approx 7 channels of different sounds?

Edited by Kurre
Correction.

2 answers to this question

Wav-files is either one sound or several sounds in sequence.

It's the sampler software that mixes together the individual sounds to a layered sound. They then explain that as working with multilayered soundsamples and thus implies it is about their "special" files when it really is about the procedure.

Wav-files can actually have several channels for surround sound. But such wav-files need special decoders to make sense of them.

Ableton Live's simpler is a plugin/sampleplayer for use in a track. The article uses 8 tracks/simplers. If you want to mix down to a single wav-file it can't be channels it have to be a single sound or several sounds in sequence.

You can simulate a layered sound (different sounds at the same time) by copying (in the background) the slices in a sequence to disk and play them from there. With short percussive samples it would seem that it played the wav-file directly because of the speed of modern filehandling.