Time ruler format options are buggy now?

jono grant

Hi, I would just like to view M:B:T in the Cakewalk time ruler

But it seems buggy now (update?) No matter what I select in the time ruler format options, it show two things, M:B:T and H:M:S:F

I only want to see one thing on the time ruler - M:B:T

Is it broken now? I seem to remember not having this issue before. Also, when I go into time ruler format options, the check marks turn off and on randomly, they aren't the same every time I click on them.

Is this a bug?

@Noel Borthwick  Perhaps you might know if this is normal behavior?

Thanks!

Jono

1 hour ago, scook said:

Yes but as mentioned above it may be a workspace issue. The image shows no workspace is loaded.

I never tested this, but maybe one of you knows--when no workspace is loaded, does that mean "default.lns" is in effect? If not, do you know where the settings come from and when they get loaded?  I started to explore this a few months ago, but since it was brought up here, I thought I'd ask.  Thanks.

Edited by User 905133

Before a few months ago, I almost never explored using the different time ruler formats and never had more than one displayed at a time.  So, thanks for asking the questions and for the various comments. It now seems to make sense to me. As best as I can tell:

(1) The + and - let you change the number of time-lines (1, 2, 3, or 4) and select specific formats you want to add or remove.

(2) Right-clicking on the time line let's you choose which format(s) you want displayed.  However, this method does not let you change the number of time-lines. If there are two time-lines selected, the different formats of those two time-lines can be checked and unchecked, but there will always be 2, unless one is removed with the - button (or 1 or 2 added with the + button).

That being said, Workspaces might also be involved in what seemed to be random, but if the idea was to uncheck one of the formats using method (2), I was only able to reduce or increase the number of scales using method (1).

Again, this is totally new to me, but I just tripled tested the above and it seems to be consistent (at least on my PC).  I have no idea if the above has changed over the years.  I defer to others on that.

Addendum: The  on line Time Ruler description seems to match my trial-and-error testing.

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to the on line descrption

On 12/20/2019 at 8:03 PM, User 905133 said:

when no workspace is loaded, does that mean "default.lns" is in effect? If not, do you know where the settings come from and when they get loaded?

.INS files are Instrument  Definition files - no relationship to ruler settings. If you don't have a Workspace enabled, ruler settings are project-specific - i.e. stored in the  .CWP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Baay said:

.INS files are Instrument  Definition files - no relationship to ruler settings. If you don't have a Workspace enabled, ruler settings are project-specific - i.e. stored in the  .CWP.

Sorry about any confusion I might have caused. I typed (lower case L) (ns), not ins. I should have seen that the sans serif typeface might have caused confusion; thanks for catching this and for helping to clarify it.

Any idea where default.LNS gets recalled?

( BTW, I just assumed that since *.LNS [in lower case] was used for Lenses, for compatibility reasons, the extension was maintained instead of using *.wsp (or some such thing, but not *.wks!!!) for "Workspace.")

Excellent to know that with "No Workspace" or "None" (or however it shows up) the ruler settings from the project's settings are in effect.