Isaac Hayes Cover

scottcmusic

First tune finished entirely in CbB. I'm really enjoying CbB. At least on my system, it just seems to run smoother than past versions of Sonar.

Anyway, here's a cover of a song from the soundtrack to Shaft that I always loved. Been using covers lately just to have material to record so I can focus more on the engineering and production of the music, and learn about making these recordings hopefully sound better than just demos.

I'm especially happy with the guitar stuff I did over the outro ... the fuzz kicks in around 2:44 ... me likey the fuzz ...

How's the vocals volume? Too much effects? In my car the vocals sound a bit lost in the stew ... hmmm ... sounds good in earphones ...

http://www.savagepixels.com/audio/scott-c_do-your-thing.mp3

Edited by scottcmusic
  • Like 1

I think the vocals are actually good, and perhaps the best part of the mix! The drums have a nice live feel, and the bass seems competent as well, but they both offer up a bit of a two-dimensional quality, like the drum kit was recorded in mono? Is that a nod to the  '70's?

I have not heard the original, but I like your a lot! And you are right, the guitar at the end has a nice tone and riffs well!

You will get at some point a better sax / horn patch, I think that's the thing that lets you down the most right now.

Very cool tune, cool groove, and I think your vocal came through really well.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

I really appreciate the encouragement. Thanks.

It's funny about that horn part ... the original (see link) has the great horn parts ... and my original aim was to recreate that as close as possible. I have Arturia's excellent V Collection. That has the Synclavier ... I'm using trumpet samples to play the horn parts just until I could find a more realistic horn sound ... and then I kinda got to liking it that way. Sure, it doesn't sound like horns ... it sounds like a keyboard, almost a harmonica sound or something ... anyway, I just kinda liked it the way it was. But reading your comments I can gather that to others it just sounds like cheesy horns ... hmmm ... I'll have to play with those patches a bit. 

Elsewhere, yeah, I'm definitely going for that burnished, dark, mono drum sound that you used to hear on all the records I loved growing up. I'm not into ringing cymbals and boomy, tubby tom sounds. I did leave some room on the drums in BFD since the song has that live feel, but nothing too crazy.