Groove Quantize

Johnbee58

Question

I'm working on a piece that has a piano intro which I'm making in EZ Keys.  I don't want the intro too stiff time wise, but rather "breathe" like a human player would.  Would I use Groove Quantize for that?  I tried it but it only seems to make the velocity louder, which I DO NOT want.  I mainly just want the timing to flow a bit.  What's the best way to accomplish that?

Thanks

😀John B.

Edited by Johnbee58

4 answers to this question

Create a new MIDI track and record yourself 'tapping' along to the piano intro (e.g. using the rimshot sound from a drum vst ) Try recording quarter note and the eighth note taps. Merge these recordings and copy to the clipboard. Use the clipboard to groove quantise with your piano intro. The timing and velocity will be affected by this method depending on what percentages you wish to be applied

Random timing deviations will certainly help reduce the rigidity or stiffness of the performance but the only snag with this approach is that human players don't deviate from the grid 'randomly' i.e. they play with a perceptible rubato (rushing ahead and behind the beat where appropriate for the desired feel) that sounds human and makes the music breathe over a discernible but fluid pulse etc

Edited by ExittheLemming

6 hours ago, ExittheLemming said:

...human players don't deviate from the grid 'randomly' i.e. they play with a perceptible rubato (rushing ahead and behind the beat where appropriate for the desired feel) that sounds human and makes the music breathe over a discernible but fluid pulse...

Yes, as demonstrated in OP's other thread on the subject. Linked here for the benefit of future searchers: