Blue Cat Winter Sale

cclarry

While winter promotions are already available (up to 50% off!), as a registered customer, you can get even better deals: we offer you 10% additional discount on all existing promotions!

Just use the coupon code below on our online store to get the additional reduction on discounted products. This offer is valid until January 10th only, so don't miss it!

Coupon code: CSWN2019

Enter the Blue Cat Audio Store

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Pseudopop said:

Is the Axe Pack worth the extra ~$100 when compared with Axiom? You get Late Replies as a standalone plugin, which is nice I guess, but I can't quite figure out if Patchwork is something I might actually need.

I'd been in demo mode with Axiom since around Black Friday time and experimenting with it quite a bit.  It is great!  I've also been wanting the stand-alone of Re-Guitar and Late Replies so I'm glad I finally have them now.  Patchwork is becoming apparent to me as super useful.  For example, I've looked at some recent tools from Audified which are like channel strips for specific purposes like acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, vocals.  With Patchwork I can replicate those ideas (saved as presets), and also have the flexibility to move around and add various other effects as needed - and save as a preset for a recall on another song.   For example, if I get a really good vocal chain for my voice I could use my DAW's tool for creating an effects chain (Studio One in my case).  Or, with Patchwork, I can do it that way perhaps with more flexibility and with an enhanced method for saving presets. 

Overall, this particular pack is pretty powerful.  I actually use other amp sims and have great sounds from them.  I really like the idea of being able to combine those with any other effect, or even any other amp sim in this Axiom platform - and to save a good one as a preset.  

23 minutes ago, lawajava said:

For example, if I get a really good vocal chain for my voice I could use my DAW's tool for creating an effects chain (Studio One in my case).  Or, with Patchwork, I can do it that way perhaps with more flexibility and with an enhanced method for saving presets.

Or create effects chains that you use can use between DAWs!

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

Blue Cat's FREE bundle is really good and has some useful plugins that I use all the time. But I have never bought a plugin from them because they have never entered the "no-brainer" level on a sale yet.  I'm certain they are quality though based on the freebies. I'm also particularly interested in Patchwork.  The "Plug'n Script" looks like it would be fun to play around with too, but ....$$.

Vovoxengo is another dev I'd put in this category too, only their GUIs aren't as good a BCs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lawajava said:

Or, with Patchwork, I can do it that way perhaps with more flexibility and with an enhanced method for saving presets.

Can you elaborate on those points, if you don't mind? I'm sorry to say I'm just starting with recording and mixing, so I don't have a frame of reference for what makes a good/bad FX chaining tool.

I can definitely see the value of Patchwork for someone who uses multiple DAWs or needs to replicate plugin chains between different setups. However, I currently only use Reaper, so committing myself to Reaper's FX chains for the time being would probably not be a problem. But I feel like I don't have enough knowledge to make an educated decision and I fear demoing Patchwork with my current skills would not reveal its benefits. Should probably still test it, though.

10 minutes ago, Pseudopop said:

Can you elaborate on those points, if you don't mind?

Info extracted from https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

• It is possible to chain effects in series or create up to 8 parallel chains that can be activated independently. This lets you create your favorite effects or instruments configurations within the plug-in, without the need for multiple busses. These configurations can be saved as presets and recalled instantly, or shared with multiple DAWs, using any plug-in format (full list below). Use the built-in audio effects to add color to your own plug-in chains.
  • For each plug-in slot, latency compensation, presets management, undo/redo integration, audio i/o selection and individual plug-in bypass are included for optimal operation. The plug-in also stores the position of the window for each plug-in so that the layout is restored with your session or saved with presets.
  • Also, sub plug-ins can be automated or controlled with external control surfaces using Blue Cat's PatchWork parameters mapping capabilities.
  • Input and output level meters are also available to monitor the signal that is dispatched to inserted plug-ins, including side chain and aux channels.

main.png

Perhaps an easier way to say it might be:  you can create as complex and convoluted a plugin chain as you need to within this plugin, but since it is a plugin itself,  it only takes up one insert slot on your DAW's channel.

Edited by mibby

34 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Info extracted from https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

• It is possible to chain effects in series or create up to 8 parallel chains that can be activated independently. This lets you create your favorite effects or instruments configurations within the plug-in, without the need for multiple busses. These configurations can be saved as presets and recalled instantly, or shared with multiple DAWs, using any plug-in format (full list below). Use the built-in audio effects to add color to your own plug-in chains.
  • For each plug-in slot, latency compensation, presets management, undo/redo integration, audio i/o selection and individual plug-in bypass are included for optimal operation. The plug-in also stores the position of the window for each plug-in so that the layout is restored with your session or saved with presets.
  • Also, sub plug-ins can be automated or controlled with external control surfaces using Blue Cat's PatchWork parameters mapping capabilities.
  • Input and output level meters are also available to monitor the signal that is dispatched to inserted plug-ins, including side chain and aux channels.

Yeah, I've read the description. But what you're saying is that these things are something that can't be done with the FX chains offered by DAWs? If that is the case then it certainly sounds a lot more flexible.

Thanks for pointing this out.

15 minutes ago, mibby said:

Waves has their Studio Rack which is similar, but only allows Waves plugins.   ...actually, it looks like they're are depricating this. Apparently it doesn't work for v11 plugins.

It looks like there are a few alternatives to Patchwork, but most people seem to think Patchwork is superior to them.

The advantage to Patchwork is that you can save your chains, and then
use them in any DAW you choose to use those chains in by instantiating Patchwork
and opening the chain, rather than having to create a chain in your DAW, which would have to be replicated
in another DAW.  So for those who use more than one DAW, it's quite a time saver.

What I see huge value in is the Axe Pack - with this Winter discount - as it contains Axiom, Re-Guitar, Late Replies, and Patchwork all in one go.  Each one of them have great points.  Axiom, Late Replies, and Patchwork all have that special capability of being able to bring together non Blue Cat tools and plugins so that you can capture a combined sound from different vendors that can be easily recalled as a preset.    Axiom and Late Replies are already loaded with great features and presets of their own.  So many tools can be assembled and layered together.    I've been using it in demo mode and have been really impressed.  And it's intuitive.

• Thanks 2