[solved] Is there a way to downgrade to a lower Cakewalk version?

kday

Is there a way to downgrade to a lower Cakewalk version, the new update is slow acting. The scroll line jumps and skips to the music while playing. I tried editing the latency, but still the same. Didn't do this before the update.

Edited by kday

You have to precise if it indeed is the daw Cakewalk or the Windows 7,8,10 you're writing about.

If it's Cakewalk: Do a Google search on "scroll line jumps and skips to the music" together with the word "daw" to pinpoint what sort of scroll lines you want to get info on.

You'll probably see results about Cakewalk. Read those. If you don't find a solution with them then you search here and can also post and be more precise about your problem with the help of info you got from reading those other posts.

7 hours ago, kday said:

Is there a way to downgrade to a lower OS, the new update is slow acting. The scroll line jumps and skips to the music. I tried editing the latency, but still the same. Didn't do this before the update.

There is or there used to be a CPU option that does exactly what you are describing. Are you sure that option is not enabled? 

Also, what audio interface do you have. When you update your OS, you need to install different drivers for your audio interface in most cases. so it can be 2 of these things

If by chance you pressed  Pause it is possible what you are seeing is a feature in CW to maximize CPU. 

From the Cakewalk Manual

"Like the Scroll Lock key, the Pause key now works as a special GUI throttle toggle key. When the Pause key is
pressed, Cakewalk runs in a CPU conservation mode by reducing the frequency of GUI updates. For example, VU
meter updates, Now position pointer and progress updates will appear to update less frequently." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kday said:

Is there a way to downgrade to a lower OS, the new update is slow acting. The scroll line jumps and skips to the music. I tried editing the latency, but still the same. Didn't do this before the update.

Folks - I read this as a reference to the new update of CbB . . .

@kday - please state what you actually requesting - Cakewalk upgrade OR an actual OS (operating system) update.  It would let members advise you better . . .

Thanks,

Syphus

• Like 2

Not unless you have planned for this event. To save some typing...

NOTE: old posts refer to simply copying and renaming folders to create working versions of CbB. This is no longer a safe practice. To have multiple versions of CbB available online use Launchpad.

Buffering issue have been solved!

I unchecked the "Load Balancing" option and the buffering stopped!

Thanks scook I found that information from the link you provided on that subject. 

Edited by kday
  • Like 1

Load balancing should be used with discretion. Here is some information from the release notes when the feature was originally released.

WHEN TO USE, OR NOT USE, PLUG-IN LOAD BALANCING

Load balancing uses CPU power more efficiently, but it also requires some CPU power because it processes the plug-ins at smaller buffer sizes. If the loads aren’t unbalanced in the first place, any benefits of balancing may be offset by the extra overhead. So, first check out the existing performance status with the new Performance Meter modes (described in the next eZine section). Right-click on the Performance module, choose CPU Meter Display Options, then select Audio Processing Load. The Performance Meter will show whether the load on the CPU cores is balanced or not.

Enable plug-in load balancing if: 

• There is CPU spiking, or one core is significantly higher than the others
• The project uses a high audio latency setting
• One track performs most of the effects processing

Do not enable plug-in load balancing if:

• The CPU load is evenly distributed (i.e., there is no excessive core spiking, and no individual core works significantly more than the others)
• The project uses many lightweight plug-ins with a similar load
• All tracks use about the same number of effects, or have a similar load
• The project uses a Mixing Latency Buffer Size setting under 256 samples in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Driver Settings

For information about how plug-in load balancing works, as well as “under the hood” tweaks you can do to alter the smallest internal buffer subdivision used for plug-in load balancing (which allows for more aggressive load balancing), please see the online help.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

NOTE: old posts refer to simply copying and renaming folders to create working versions of CbB. This is no longer a safe practice. To have multiple versions of CbB available online use Launchpad.

@scook ,  Can you explain "what is not safe" about the rename/copy option?  If it exist, point me to the thread that talks about or explain it here.   I have been copying the "cakewalk core" and archiving it and I would like to know how this could muck things up . . .   Thanks "ahead of time"

Syphus

Here is the thread about my tools

It goes into some detail about this. The short version is...

Recently there was a change to cw130Auto.dll, a file shared by all versions of CbB, that can break automation when running a version of the dll that is not the same as the version of CbB in use.  The Lauchpad tool makes sure CbB and the dll are in sync.