Issues With Kontakt Player

Nobletonmusic

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else had issues using Kontakt player in Cakewalk. I inserted it as a Midi Source with First Audio Output checked. I open the Kontakt player and on the right panel loaded an instrument from the Play Series Selection - Hybrid Keys.  I have the Output/Midi Channel on Kontakt set as default - Output: St 1.  .  Midi Ch: {A} 1. I have my keyboard connected to the Focusrite interface. On the Input on the MIDI track, it's says Omni -None. I change that to Focusrite USB MIDI. Yes I have the monitor button checked

I  hit a note on my keyboard. I hear it, see the meters moving in both the MIDI & MIDI/Analog channel. I see the note being played on the keyboard at the bottom of the Kontakt player. So I hit record on the MIDI channel in CW. I hear it as I record it, When I play it back. I hear it very faintly. I go in and boast all the velocities way up. It's a little louder, but still way below what it should be with velocities all above 110.

I see the meters moving on both CW tracks, but so  faint. I push hard on a piano key, it's still very faint. The meters on the Kontakt player are moving a little, but not as high as when I was recording.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on. I upload my XLN Keys exactly the same way. No issues. I record and it plays back at the same level as I recorded it.

So the only thing I can think of is there is some issue with the Kontakt player & Cakewalk. I even followed the instructions of a few people on YouTube who showed how to upload and play a Kontakt instrument through the Kontakt player in Cakewalk ? Same problem.

They also have something called Komplete Kontrol, I found the same Hybrid Keys in there. Played it and it recorded through Kontakt player. Play back was also very weak.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's exactly the same way I load and play XLN Keys in Cakewalk & no issues there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Spent hours trying to figure it out, no luck

jt

Edited by Nobletonmusic
spelling error

I have had an  issue with Hybrid keys in the past I believe it was a modulation controller being reset to  zero when Cakewalk stops.  What I do when using Hybrid Keys is leave my Mod wheel all the way up .  Do not quote me on this I am  trying to remember with out looking at my setup.  However if you open Hybrid Keys and move your mod wheel you should  see the controller within Hybrid Keys Moving with it.   The only other way I could fix this was to set Cakewalks Zero controllers when Cakewalk stops, this caused me an issue with my sustain pedal so I just use my Mod Wheel to compensate.   I am not positive this is your issue but its worth a try.

Mark

Mark, 

Okay I'm not crazy. What you are saying makes perfect sense, it sounds crazy, playing with the Mod wheel all the way up. It sounds like there is an issue with controller setting between the two.  Of course Kontakt is impossible to reach for support. They have a chat open 3 hours a day, but they are mostly just sales people. I can try their forum and see if I get any answers. I'm looking to purchase the Native Instrument Session Guitarist Acoustic Picked. I'm hoping I can simple upload directly into my DAW, like the Ample guitar VIs.  If I have to use the Kontakt player,  it wouldn't make sense to buy it. Really incredible sounds, lots of patterns, etc.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me. It was insane. All my other VST worked fine.

I still have the issue with the one instrument Hybrid Keys but I just leave the mod wheel up.  However you can run Kontakt 6 and Kontakt 5 together.  I have both installed  and you can run them as separate plugins at the same time.   I do have the full version of Kontakt.

Hi Mark,

Happy holidays first of all. I did purchase the SG Acoustic Guitar. Had trouble with the download, stopped and started 3 X. Took forever 1 1/2 hours. Then during the installing process. I got a File Decompression error.  A few minutes after that, it went Green "Installation Complete". I had updated my Kontakt 6, and then opened the new product. It didn't work and the home screen was not right. I sent an email today, I will probably have to try again.

Still having that issue with CbB. Upload any instrument from Kontakt player, put down a track, go to play it back and you can barely hear it. Try to play another track. nothing in the meters. Some one in tech support is going to have to help. I'm going to try and select default settings in CbB in Preferences.

Maybe it's my damn computer. It's so frustrating

Mark,  this post you found is helpful. The idea of "inserting a CC# 1 (modulation) = 127 at the very beginning of the  MIDI Event List."  sounds like something I could try. Sounds insane that NI didn't see this problem & fix it . The guys at Focusrite are really helping with my velocity problem. Even when I connected the new Novation Launchkey 61, the velocities were low both on the track and when I used MIDIVOX. They are sending me a new cable & suggested I find another interface to test, rahther than their 2i4 I'm using

Astral, as you have probably figured out by now, I'm not an experienced MIDI guy. I did turn off the Zero Controllers When Play Stops in Preferences. It fixed the problem. To bitflipper's point, in the post Mark sent. I'll have to see if it affects anything else. Hasn't on playback, but will see what happens to the sustain peddle.

How would I add "insert a CC# 1 (modulation) = 127 at the very beginning of the  MIDI Event List" on a track?

Thanks

59 minutes ago, Nobletonmusic said:

...Sounds insane that NI didn't see this problem & fix it .

It's not a bug, it's a feature! Really.

Some Kontakt instruments use the mod wheel to control volume, especially orchestral libraries but many others do it as well. That often confuses users when they first try out such a library. It even bites me now and then, even though after 15 years as a Kontakt user I should know by now that CC #1 is the first thing to check, right after verifying the MIDI and audio routing.

The easiest way to insert a CC1 event is via the controller pane in the PRV. I'd recommend that method because now that you know what CC1 does for this instrument, the next step is to use it in the way it was meant to be used, and to start adding in some CC automation. It's fun, and it's how you make a faux instrument sound more realistic.

• Like 1

Bitflipper 

(Great name by the way). I don't have a NI controller, so I assume the PRV is  on the controller. Or I'm I simply too naive in all things midi and don't understand you are talking about doing it in CbB? Curious, what is that equation at the bottom stand for ? I'm guessing V(t) is voltage ?

17 minutes ago, Nobletonmusic said:

I take that back. entering the CC#1 modulation at 127 in the Event filter is not as easy as I thought. The documentation online is for Sonar X2 & X3. If anyone can walk me through adding the CC#1 event to the beginning of a track, it would be most appreciated.

insert_mod_event.gif

• Thanks 1