Sound card or USB adapter with 2 stereo (4) outputs

John Deacon

Hi Larry,

I get it...

When we play, we always hire commercial sound/lights.  Makes the whole process easier and more enjoyable.

Most of the local working bands here do the same.

When 1am hits, we (old folks) want to load our gear and head home.  

The band has to charge more, but that's offset by a competent engineer actually mixing the show (both audio and lights).

A great sound/light company helps fully maximize the band (which helps with draw/etc).

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 4:36 PM, kitekrazy said:

It will be a sort of sad day when I have to retire my PCI cards.   Those M-Audio Deltas are quality hardware.   I don't know how old my first AP2496 is but they still run solid on W10. As much as one wants to bash MS at least they value legacy support and those W7 drivers still work.  None of the legacy M-Audio products will work on a current Mac.

Do you know how to get legacy drivers for Linux for 2496? I tried but could not. I use a Steinberg UR-22 on my music rig, but would like to put the 2496 back in my old computer for better sound while listening there. Never should have removed it. I probably have a working setup on an old image of Ubuntu or something, where I might find the download, but I have a dozen or so Linux images to check through.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:20 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

With any reasonably current (Intel) build, you'll have Intel USB-2 or USB-3 integrated into the motherboard's chipset. That eliminates most compatibility problems.

(...)

The CPU load from the USB controller is negligible on a reasonably current CPU.

Hopefully with modest PCs you don't see it anymore, at least not that much, but on my ageing laptop with USB-2 ports, playing from ExpressCard audio interface (or even built-in Realtek!) vs. USB-2 audio interface has shown clear difference in terms of CPU usage. I just started wondering how much the windows version itself could make an impact on the efficiency, the tests I have made on XP some years ago.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:29 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

If you run a dense audio stress-test using a PCIe card vs. RME USB-2 audio interface, you'll find you can run the same amount of processing with each.

Don't even get me started on the RME thingy, Jim, these guys are like they're playing in their own league! :D Their Babyface Pro is making some unbelievable RTL figures as for an USB box, in the latency tests on DAW bench. For a moment it's way out of my reach but if given a chance I would pick it reckless any day of the week! ...if going the USB-route.

Edited by chris.r

There is an adapter that actually works really well and cost in the $30 range. My echo Layla 3G is half height and it has been flawless with the adapter to PCI Express slot.

Stickman33 found the adapter. PM me if yopu would like the name. $30 is well worth having a backup you like.

Echo Tech told me their card would NEVER work with a PCi to PCIe adapter. Uh, they were wrong.........

I actually have to perfect AP2496's sitting in my closet. Forgot about those until this thread.....

16 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Echo Tech told me their card would NEVER work with a PCi to PCIe adapter. Uh, they were wrong.........

The reason they gave you that advice... 

Echo cards never worked with bridged PCI slots on motherboards.

Lynx cards also had major issues with bridged PCI slots.

RME and M-Audio were much more forgiving... and worked with most bridged PCI slots.

Hey Jim

Yes I was really surprised when I read Stckmans blog about it. He has the ame card. It's been months and never a glitch. I definitely was presently surprised because I really liked the card and was very familiar with it.

I actually had given up and was using my backup-Rloand Octacapture. 

So glad I found it.