Mac equivalent

jkoseattle

Question

I'm proposing teaching a class in digital music production at a local school, and CbB is the obvious platform of choice for students because it's both full-featured and free. However, the school is balking because they are all Mac and are having a lot of trouble emulating Windows on VMWare, and therefore might decide to switch to all Mac instruction (most of what they teach is Adobe stuff). So to keep this ball rolling I'd like to offer some Mac alternative to CbB that I could use for teaching. I would need it also to be both full-featured and free, and just as importantly, it would need to be something I could use my Cakewalk chops to get up to speed on quickly (meaning it can't be a totally different workflow).

Suggestions?

7 answers to this question

It does not need to be cross-platform, but ideally it should be free or very inexpensive, and it should behave, in most regards, like Cakewalk. Because that's what I know. 

I don't know GarageBand, but let's tackle it the other way. What kinds of important functionality can I do with CbB that I can't do with Garage Band?