Intel 2 TB M.2 SSD

cclarry

8 minutes ago, Grem said:

I saw this and was really glad to see large capacity M.2 drives coming down in price. It may not be the fastest drive out there, but it's makes up for it in the bang-for-buck department.

Yeah, I shot a question to Jim to make sure I wouldn't be downgrading the 1TB I would be replacing...
(its not full yet, but I also have a 1TB regular SSD with samples I don't use as much)

@DeeringAmps Tom the 660p Series of M.2 drives from Intel use a new type of memory tech that is able to get more storage in the memory chips, but it's not as fast as other type memory chips. 

And you have to remember, they are comparing the 660p Series to other M.2 drives such as the EVO 960 Pro drives (> $1400!!! for 2TB).

Edited by Grem

11 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

The Intel drives sustain ~1800MB/Sec

The Samsung 970 EVO sustains ~3500

The new Inland Performance PCIe Gen 4x4 sustains ~5000MB/Sec.  (Need M.2 slot that is PCIe 4.0)

Jim makes a GREAT point above - you MUST make sure your motherboard's M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0, whereas many/most seem to still be PCIe 3.  No matter which drive you are looking at, you have to match that drive to the PCIe generation/level (3.0 or 4.0) supported by the motherboard.

I happen to have 3 of the Samsung 970 EVO SSD's, and they ROCK - that uses M.2 PCIe 3 slot.  I would love to move up to the even faster PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives, next time I upgrade to a new motherboard.  For now, I am QUITE happy with the blazing speed of the Samsung 970 EVO drives I already have.

Bob Bone