How do you organize your authorizations/accounts

Tezza

15 hours ago, TerraSin said:

For passwords I use a manager like KeePass, 1Password or LastPass

Excel for all my serial numbers

Actually I use Keepass to keep track of serial numbers as well. There is plenty of space in the comments box to type in the software title serial numbers etc. and you can load copies of authorization files as attachments. The search function is plenty fast enough to locate what you need. The main advantage is that if someone gets hold of your computer (or hacks it at a distance) the authorizations, serial numbers etc. are encrypted. I keep a copy of the kdb files and a portable version of keypass on thumb drives scattered about--anyone getting one of those drives still does not have the master password but I will have all the useful stuff if the computer is stolen. Of course a stolen computer will not be instantly restorable if authorizations depend on a machine hash, but at least I will not lose my serial numbers. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of everything else, purchase dates and prices, dates an locations of installations, version numbers, remaining authorizations etc. but not the serial numbers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

I do like Larry; I have about 3 or 4 variations of the same password and I just remember them. That means it sometimes takes up to 4 attempts for me to log in to something. Is what it is. 

Accept for those sign ups where they make you create some crazy @ss password and you gotta spend like 10 minutes trying to me their criteria.. I usually don't remember those or I count on google to remember it.. and if it doesn't then I use the "forgot password" link. Is what it is. 

I keep a password protected Excel sheet with usernames, emails, and obfuscated passwords.  I use a generic password, but in 100s of variations.  In my sheet, I might put "with J2*" - which means every second J is capitalized.  Not NSA proof, but good enough for me.

For my installs, I keep a large Word documents that has all my plugins, with deactivation and install instructions.  It includes all the serials.

• Like 1

You've got a lot of important private information.
If your home or office caught fire would you be able to quickly recover critical information? 
If your home or office got burgled would you be at risk for identity theft as well?
If you were on vacation and a family member had a health emergency could you provide the info needed so that they received timely care?

You need to have an encrypted* data store (in case device is lost or stolen).
*not a password encrypted word or excel file as they can be easily cracked.
It should be syncable between different platforms i.e. phone and/or computer so that the loss or crash of a device doesn't result in data loss.

Examples of important private info:
bank account #s
computer login info
credit card #s 
driver's license, passport or other ID's numbers
insurance policy #s
medical - healthplan membership, prescription info, etc. even Dr. names
membership #s & information (AutoClub, NetFlix, etc.)
music libraries, VSTs, etc.  (not necessarily needed for privacy but convenient to look up.)
social security #'s (personal, family)
software serial #s
Subscriptions
web site logins
and probably more...

There are a number of inexpensive or even free multiplatform password/data safe programs out there and they let you easily look up or verify things.
I use SplashID (I'm not associated with them in any fashion) and I know it's not the best or the cheapest,  but I've been using it 15 or more years and I'm use to it (and I paid for a lifetime cloud supported membership a couple of years back on sale).

Whether you're a software programmer, network admin, computer DAW user, generic computer user, etc. - almost every fringin app, library, update has a serial #, every vendor a website which requires a login.
Even if you use the same username & password on each account are you going to remember each vendor's website?
Are you married? have kids? have aging parents or relatives that you have to support in some fashion? they all have data requirements...
Once you start using a password safe you'll realize just how much crap you can stop trying to memorize (just to end up forgetting it anyway) and how handy it can be.  Currently I've got over 1,800 entries in mine and I find that I use it daily.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Essential Personal Information Manager (EPIM). It has a section for passwords and generates them on demand (I hated the process of trying to figure out a acceptable password string while you are setting up an account with some software site. I keep my all my account info with each password (user name, email, web url, etc.) 

EPIM also has an integrated note, to do, calendar, and email section so I can also keep any emails with serial numbers, account info in a single app and access a password or other info quickly. EPIM keeps all of the info in a single database - which by the way is password encrypted so the database can not be read by loading it into a text editor.

I have EPIM installed  on a USB stick (as well as the database) so if my PC dies, I can just run to another PC - in fact if I travel, I don't even need to bring a PC if I can get access to one at a location. No Cloud to worry about and I back up the database every few days and have copies in the car, neighbors house, dog house, and a few other places for backups. 

I also use it to keep recording session notes in the note area (you can also pull in pics and pdfs into a note or you can add reference pointers to the item from your note.)

I find it really solid and have been using it for about 8 years now. $80 for a lifetime license it is pretty cheap ($100 for business. Both PC and Mac are available.

No, I am not a sponsor for EPIM, just a user that found a tool that works for me 🙂

https://www.essentialpim.com

h

Edited by hbarton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheSteven said:

not a password encrypted word or excel file as they can be easily cracked

I once read that this was true of older formats of Word/Excel, but the newer ones (with Office 365) are much more secure (assuming you have a strong password).

I just create a Gmail account and that account uses Google Drive with a  Google Docs file that stores all of my  accounts and  passwords for everything, I don't use the account for anything else , I just use it to keeps my password safe.

I don't send email from it and it doesn't receive email. 

I simply use paper and a pencil. I never use a Password twice. Meanwhile I use 4 Pages of Paper. I don't store any Password on my desktop / laptop and use apps to clear storage / memory / cookies  regularly. And I'll never use clouds for storage of passwords.

Edited by mkerl