How do you organize your authorizations/accounts

Tezza

I see all the great deals here but what puts me off buying them is being able to organize all the authorizations and passwords to accounts etc for each plugin or VSTi and keeping track of it all.

It might be that it's just my expectations are wrong, what I think is normal isn't. At the moment, I write it down on a card and have to refer to it all the time.

Is there some special way to keep track of all this information, do people put it on their computers or have some easy way to file it or access it. What is the norm for the number of authorizations/accounts for the various plugins etc that people use with their DAW's. Perhaps I just need to alter my expectations and learn to organize better, I don't know.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 2

I simply use an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that contains all username and passwords for every purchase that requires one.

One sheet for music stuff.  Other for non music stuff

I have a macro that can search all sheets.

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I have had a habit of not putting my passwords for anything near the internet but I can see that many don't care about that, perhaps I am being paranoid. For me the Excel sheet made up and with some blank spaces added for new ones might be the answer for me. But then, where to put it.

My laptop is always out at meetings, the library etc so I wouldn't want it on there, it is my only connection to the internet.

I have Microsoft Office on my offline DAW but there is only word on that computer for lyrics, I could put Excel on there and create a sheet but what happens if my computer is stolen. On my card I have a cryptic mnemonic for each password/serial number so even if people steal it, they would not know what the real passwords/serial numbers are without the mnemonic which only I know. 

I could do the same with the Excel sheet and just both print out a sheet and also leave it on the DAW.

Edited by Tezza

I use a program called Ace Text to keep track of almost everything I do, from receipts to passwords to instructions for a particular VST to DAW hints&tips to... well you name it!

What's cool is that you never have to save anything - everything you write is saved automatically - just write (or paste from some other source).  And you create the categories/topics and you can search all the categories or a particular category.

Check it out:

https://www.acetext.com/

• Like 1

firefox pw manager doesn't share anything, of course, but will save any (web) login you tell it to, also can be protected with master pw, and two-step ok to show actual pws... and fwiw, firefox is one of the few modern/current pieces of software i trust is not just a "surveillance capitalism" data-accumulation tool

20 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Lars, you really is supa-human!
Old school here, I include a text file in the download folder.

T

Tell why I do that.  If I have ANYTHING that resides on my PC, then, if hacked,
they would have access to that info, and consequently, ALL of my accounts, and
info.  NO THANKS!!!  Memory is a muscle...if you don't use it you lose it!!!
I'm making that BIG crossing to the big SIX ZERO in 9 days...I need to KEEP using
my memory!!!  I don't let ANYTHING on a computer "remember my password"!
I always DECLINE!

The SAFEST WAY, if you can't remember, is WRITE IT DOWN in a notebook,
or on a piece of paper!  That can't be hacked!!!  If it's on your PC/MAC, then
It's subject to "Data mining".  I'm not willing to take that chance!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I use mnemonics so if my serial number might be:

The mnemonic might be the last 3 numbers or it could be the first etc or hidden or letters. In this case, it's the last 3 and what it is saying is:

322 = "Move the 3rd and 2nd number up 2" so the real number is:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cclarry said:
38 minutes ago, cclarry said:

The SAFEST WAY, if you can't remember, is WRITE IT DOWN in a notebook,
or on a piece of paper!  That can't be hacked!!!  If it's on your PC/MAC, then
It's subject to "Data mining".  I'm not willing to take that chance!

That's the worst for me. I lose that stuff easy.

The only thing I ever got hacked is my EA gaming account.  The dude who hacked it put a game on there and now it's mine. EA support was also great in handling it.   Most accounts send you an email if changes are made.

• Like 1