No Clue

mark skinner

This is fun. Nice work on the cello. Listening to it on my laptop speakers so I can't tell if there's too much low end. This is smooth. The formant/quack, (guitar?) is a nice touch. All the instruments are having a nice give and take here. 

I can hear this on a windham hill spring sampler for sure. Nice! 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 3:16 PM, mark skinner said:

Gary , The bass guitar sounds good to me soloed , there is a good bit of sub coming thru on one of the busy drum clips . I'll take a closer look at it , it sounds a little boomy to me also after the file conversion.  Thanks ...   good call.       mark

Hi Mark.
I didnt mean the bass guitar...  I was including bass overall... should have explained myself better.
You nailed it now.
Well done.

Edited by garybrun

I don't have internet in my studio , so I'm having to listen to these uploads from a laptop with cheap headphones. I think I'm going to start leaning on Izotope more for eq settings for anything I post.  I guess I need to export a copy at 128 mp3 and listen closer thru my monitors.  The suggestions are a Great help !  After listening to a song so many times , the bad mixing decisions start sounding normal ..         mark

9 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

I don't have internet in my studio , so I'm having to listen to these uploads from a laptop with cheap headphones. I think I'm going to start leaning on Izotope more for eq settings for anything I post.  I guess I need to export a copy at 128 mp3 and listen closer thru my monitors.  The suggestions are a Great help !  After listening to a song so many times , the bad mixing decisions start sounding normal ..         mark

Thats what I love about this forum is that you can post your songs up for other ears to listen.
We get so caught up in our own projects and listen to them and seem to get a little immune  🙂
I always like othesr to criticize and comment on my work..  I learn so much this way and can develop on my weaknesses.
Its also hard to get the balance right as you dont want to come across as a know-it-all and also hurt someones feelings who have put a lot and time and effort into their work.

Recently someone asked me for my opinion in private... which I gave...  but then wasn't happy with the reply.
It got to me really as I try to be constructive... so I must admit.. very cautious.
Its also very hard to put what you mean down in text as (Im not a good writer in English as I get it al mixed up with Norwegian sometimes.
Many times I have had to rewrite a sentence because I couldn't remember how to spell the English word  (I am English by the way)  🙂

Anyway Ill say it again ,  I really enjoyed this track and well done.

Very cool, cello as lead. Loved the synthy pads that wandered around it, too!

I apparently heard version 2, with less bass, and gosh darn it my comment would be, more bass! To me the mix seems just - a -tad -bright for funk.

I guess if your lead instrument is a cello, kind of bass potential, you need to handle other bass elements with extreme caution!

But for me, bass guitar below maybe 120hz could come up a little.

friggin sweet jam. 

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

@emeraldsoul , I had so much low end stuff going on in the first mix , I kept the bass guitar eq closer to a slap bass sound. I guess I should have re eq'd it. I thought it sounded thin myself during the remix , but I'm not really trusting my ears right now. @David Sprouse I sometimes use a drum or synth loop but have started using a midi controller. I play everything else myself.  Guitar is my main instrument , I only play the other stuff when I'm recording.  I really Thank everyone for their comments.    mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...