after 25+ years I would love to see these features

sabo fx

Hiya,

I've been using Cakewalk since version 3 (IIRC).  Among my friends I'm somewhat of a Cakewalk Jehova.
Always trying to pull people away from other DAWs by providing lots of 24/7 support on their attempts to switch to Cakewalk.

But all those years i wish i would have taken the time sooner to request some of the features described below.

In piano roll edit screen:
* ability to invert selection of notes/events
* Time stretch (selected) midi data (Ctrl+Shift mouse drag, just like clips)
* key combo to move a selection of notes one semitone up or down
* key combo to move a selection of notes an octave up or down

In the main screen:
the ability to in/de-crease the volume of an audio clip by dragging the mouse

In the control bar:
In 'loop' and 'selection' module, after entering the start time the [tab] key should make the cursor jump to end time input field

Pro channel effects:
* Customizable presets (storing EQ settings etc)

Preferences:
Option to by default start projects with 'zero controllers when play stops' disabled. A lot of particular KONTAKT instruments use the mod wheel to set the volume of the sound. Currently each time the song stops the mod wheel jumps to value 0, effectively muting the instrument.

If just one of these 'features' would make it into Cakewalk, I'll be the happiest man alive. I look forward to your comments and feedback on these suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

Joost Kuin

giphy.gif

Edited by sabo fx

8 hours ago, sabo fx said:

Preferences:
Option to by default start projects with 'zero controllers when play stops' disabled. A lot of particular KONTKAKT instruments use the mod wheel to set the volume of the sound. Currently each time the song stops the mod wheel jumps to value 0, effectively muting the instrument.

This is inherited from the template(s) you create files from, so set these .cst files up as you want, and then subsequent files created from them will have this disabled.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, sabo fx said:

the ability to in/de-crease the volume of an audio clip by dragging the mouse

If you're using the Smart Tool, you can CTRL Click to adjust the gain envelope for that clip.

* Customizable presets (storing EQ settings etc)

The ProChannel has always had the option to save/load presets.

* Time stretch (selected) midi data (Ctrl+Shift mouse drag, just like clips)

You can use CTRL + Shift to do this in the PRV now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your suggestions!

3 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

The ProChannel has always had the option to save/load presets

The individual Pro channel components like EQ or compressor do not have their own presets. And now that we are on that topic, I would also like to have a reset button on each pro channel effect to restore it to its default settings.

You can use CTRL + Shift to do this in the PRV now.

This currently only works on a continuous selection of notes. If you deselect a note (CTRL left click) within the selection, CTRL + SHIFT no longer works for stretching.

I'd like it to work on any selection of notes, stretching only the selected notes while not affecting deselected notes

If you're using the Smart Tool, you can CTRL Click to adjust the gain envelope for that clip

I know this. But I'm not talking about changing the gain envelope, but actually modifying the clip content in a similar sense as "Process/Apply Effect/Normalize"  would do.

Edited by sabo fx
clearifying /minor corrections
  • Like 1

Just learned a few days ago you can simply highlight the part of the clip you want to apply an increase/decrease of gain. Just go to the where it says "Clips" next to your wave track and open it and choose "clip automation/gain" and you should see a red line going all the way across your wave. Then select the section you want to increase or decrease, then let the mouse hover a little towards the top of the track and it will change shape to a little horizontal bar with arrows both above and below it. Then simply hold the mouse down and move it up to increase volume or down to decrease volume. You'll notice it will create 2 little nodes and those can be moved to "slant" or ramp the increase/decrease to taste. When you've made all your edits, simply bounce the track to clips and they will be locked into a new more polished track and of course the original will still be available in the audio folder if you change your mind. I've used cakewalk for decades too, and just learned this trick that I had requested years ago. It's working great.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, Kevin Perry said:

This is inherited from the template(s) you create files from, so set these .cst files up as you want, and then subsequent files created from them will have this disabled.

I would request the abilty to set this on a per VSTi basis, as it's often needed on Kontakt but having a  Global setting can mess up other instruments that aren't Kontakt.  I can't recall exactly which comination it is but it's happened several times.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 3:37 AM, sabo fx said:

In piano roll edit screen:

* key combo to move a selection of notes one semitone up or down

This already exists, with "nudge up/down", I think the default keys are 8 / 2 on the numeric keypad. Check this page out, at the bottom. I use that all the time! :D

But keyboard shortcuts for one octave up/down would be nice as well. (I have a key binding for Transpose, so I can do it pretty quickly anyway.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenLight said:

keyboard shortcuts for one octave up/down would be nice as well

Cakewalk (don't remember which version but some years ago) used to reserve the square brackets ("[" and "]") for octave up/down.

But I think it lost this shortcut around version X1.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 12:19 AM, CosmicDolphin said:

I would request the abilty to set this on a per VSTi basis, as it's often needed on Kontakt but having a  Global setting can mess up other instruments that aren't Kontakt.

Thank you for this idea. Having a default setting per VSTi would indeed be the best solution!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sabo fx said:

I stand corrected and frankly feel a bit ***** for having missed this. You are absolutely right!

Glad to help! :D I don't know how many times I've missed something myself!

7 hours ago, sabo fx said:

Cakewalk (don't remember which version but some years ago) used to reserve the square brackets ("[" and "]") for octave up/down.

But I think it lost this shortcut around version X1.

Interesting, I didn't know this (and I started with Pro Audio). Yeah, there were some "feature casualties" along the way... :)