Vinyl, LPs, Turntables Oh Boy! Listening to analog is joy!

Notes_Norton

Vinyl, LPs, Turntables Oh Boy! Listening to analog is joy!

It's been a long time. My old turntable broke wellover a year ago, and I finally decided to get a new one. I didn't get top-of-the-line, a Music Hall USB-1 for about $200 by the advice of a sales rep at Crutchfield.

I know there are different kinds of distortion with digital and analog vinyl. Is one better than the other? Depends on what kind of distortion you want. Both color the sound differently and neither one sounds like a good Tascam, Studer or Ampex studio machine.

So I pulled a random LP out of the pile which happened to be "The Baddest Turrentine" by the great tenor sax player, Stanley Turrentine with an all-star cast of the finest jazz men of the 1970s. I have this on CD as well.

As soon as the needle dropped, I was in ecstasy. BIG, FAT, WARM sax tones, round acoustic Ron Carter bass sound, mellow George Benson jazz guitar and so on for all the other great musicians.

I don't care what anybody says, I like analog better.

But I'll probably still listen to the CD more often, because of convenience.

Insights and incites by Notes

I read an article in a trade mag from one of the guys on the team that invented the CD. He said the CD adds high harmonics to the sounds.

That's why Stan Gets and Stanley Turrentine sound like themselves on LP and edgier on CD.

I'm not saying analog is better. Two different kinds of distortion. It depends on which one you want to listen to.

For a symphony, I'll choose CD, for serious saxophone listening I'll choose LP.

Notes

I always liked the sound of LPs. I have an old turntable in my attic. I'm pretty sure the belts on it melted because of the heat up there. Could probably be revived. My plan was to get it working again or get another turntable. There was a window or opportunity where vinyl was cheap and accessible. That window might be narrowing. In some places you might stumble across  great deals on good records. If you already had an old record pile laying around I guess you are ahead of the game. Playing records takes a little bit of know how concerning what can happen if you use the wrong needle, to know which rig to get to have the best sound within a given budget. Those cheap little players you see at large stores probably aren't a very good listening experience.

To me CDs still are pretty good. A lot of the upper harmonics can likely be EQd away. I was looking at the Bose systems and ended up buying  this KEiiD to put in my kitchen. Close to Bose in sound. 

Don't laugh until you hear it , it's a Volkswagon head unit modified to use a remote and fitted with speakers.  If and when I get my turntable working I plan to plug it into this. 

Hmm...that click and pop argument is very common wording people use to fend off old ways of listening to music.

I don't get it.

WTF are people doing with their vinyl. Only way for me to hear that is if i have a scratched vinyl. And no, it doesn't scratch easy.

Dust is the enemy here. They make record cleaner. Years ago when I listened to records I never cleaned them....and yeah, I would get those pops and clicks. Pretty common actually to get them here and there. I admit to not taking very good care of my records back then.

I listened to AJA awhile back on Vinyl . No question that the record album mix is THE essential reference to the correct levels , dynamics and equalization. I listened to several other albums from around the same period as well. It's not about the fidelity or sonic purity  or anything else - it just that the medium is how the producer engineers and artist initially intended the output to be, and that's the best it can be IMHO.

Vinyl LP's go flat with repeated play.  I was a DJ for four years from 1980 thru 1983 and we were always looking across the edge.  If it was dull and grey, into the trash it went.  If it was black and shiny, we kept playing it.  Anyone caught being an idiot back then and "scratching" an album would be fired.

I had at least a couple thousand albums when CD's came out.  I tried a couple on my really nice stereo system and the sound was SOOOO much better that I sold my albums immediately and began replacing my collection (starting with "Best Of's" then filling in the rest).

11 minutes ago, craigb said:

Vinyl LP's go flat with repeated play.  I was a DJ for four years from 1980 thru 1983 and we were always looking across the edge.  If it was dull and grey, into the trash it went.  If it was black and shiny, we kept playing it.  Anyone caught being an idiot back then and "scratching" an album would be fired.

I had at least a couple thousand albums when CD's came out.  I tried a couple on my really nice stereo system and the sound was SOOOO much better that I sold my albums immediately and began replacing my collection (starting with "Best Of's" then filling in the rest).

Ok, you win.

Obviously i have an inbuilt filter in my head that removes all bad things.

I shall go and enjoy my Led Zeppelin II (first edition) on vinyl now. B|

• Like 1

Yes I know vinyl degrades, and no matter how well you look after them, there are often a few pops and clicks.

So which distortion do I want. Surface noise or tinny tone? It's picking the lesser of the two evils.

I wore out a couple of "Focus" by Stan Getz LPs, bought it on CD, and it's not the same. Edgier tone, harsher, just the wrong mood entirely.

I listen to it on CD. I have others that I bought or recorded myself from LP to CD and listen there when casually listening, that makes the LPs last longer. When it's time for serious listening, sometimes the LP is best. It depends on the music.

If it's a symphony orchestra, I'll usually go for the CD. The harmonics don't seem to bother me on violins as much. Perhaps because I don't play violin so I'm not as intimate with the tone as I am with saxophone and a few other instruments.

After listening to a lot of sax and vocal jazz albums on CD for a couple of years, the difference in sound is in my face (or ears) and I'm loving it. Since I took care of the LPs and on all but the oldest, I've always used a good light tracking tone arm there aren't any scratches. High humidity in Florida minimizes any static.

It's too bad higher bit-rate SACD or other formats didn't take off. A SACD played on my DVD/Blu-Ray player have much better tone.

Insights and incites by Notes

Many people feel a bit of hiss and crackle can give music more of a vibe. Hip Hop sample packs quite often have loops of vinyl hiss and crackle to add a bit of dirt back into otherwise over-clean beats,

The real test would be a random double blind test of a pristine vinyl version and a well-mastered CD version of the same album.

If you are interested in a bit of light reading, there are some articles here on vinyl and CD comparisons and in the differences in the way they are often mastered: https://productionadvice.co.uk/?s=vinyl

Thanks. Interesting article.

Of course any demos on the Internet aren't valid because the Internet is both digital and the audio on the Internet videos is compressed.

I did a single blind with my wife, who is also a musician. I didn't tell her which one was playing and I muted the first note so the needle dropping on the groove wouldn't be heard.

I did this with two commercial releases, "Focus" by Stan Getz and "The Baddest Turrentine" by Stanley Turrentine.

The difference is obvious and she preferred the recordings.

Now that is with saxophone, my primary instrument.

On the Getz album strings accompany the sax, and there isn't a great difference in the sound of the strings.

The Turrentine album you could hear the difference even in Ron Carter's bass as well as the entire sound of the jazz group.

Now I don't know how well-mastered the commercial releases are, but Verve and CTI are good labels who's owners care about music, so I assume they are at least good quality mastering, probably taken from the original analog masters and recorded to CD.

Notes

7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I didn't tell her which one was playing and I muted the first note so the needle dropping on the groove wouldn't be heard.

How do you know you didn't tell her? Not all communication is verbal. That's why we have double-blind testing (sorry, I was a statistician in my past*). But I'm not disputing your findings, though. 

It's a very long time since I've listened to any vinyl. My CDs rarely get an outing these days either. Most of my listening is of MP3 files and youtube videos on my computer, through a cheap pair of headphones.

I really enjoy those occasions when I do listen to CDs through my hi-fi. It's good to get a bit of air moving. But due to just single brick walls between my neighbours on either side and I, those occasions are ( in the interests of fostering cordial relations) kept to a minimum.

I still have not met Jumbly Grindrod though.

• Haha 1