Blender 3D Tool for Video

cclarry

I will admit that most of my 3D work was done in Cinema 4D. It is a great tool, However, if you want to save money and try something just as powerful as Cinema 4D, then I highly recommend trying Blender. 

The best part about Blender is that it is absolutely FREE! Yes, you heard me right. FREE!!! You can’t beat FREE!

And by the way, just because it is free, doesn’t mean it is not a pro tool.

I am a long-time Blender user. I downloaded my first Blender copy back in early 2005 and I’ve been a huge fan ever since. 

I even visited the Blender Institute in Amsterdam last year. I got to meet my heroes. It was awesome!

Blender is simply amazing!

The latest Blender release introduced some useful features. like the new UI.

Not only that but it comes with a real-time gaming engine called Eevee.

Eevee is a fast render engine, which makes this a great time-saving option! ..And that's what Ukramedia's all about.

I've done several Blender tutorials in the past: 

How To Create Toon Style Animation In Blender

How To Create a Logo Transition in Blender

Free Motion Graphics Blender Template

But recently I decided to take it a step further. 

I created my first ever Blender course about something I know best, sports graphics!

I put together a 3 hour course on How to Create a Motion Graphics Sports Bumper in Blender 2.8 with Eevee. 

You will learn how I made sports bumpers for FOX Sports.

As far as I know, this is the first ever sports motion graphics Blender course online. 

Here is what you will learn to make:

More info here

https://www.blender.org/features/

Course is $35
https://ukramedia.com/course/how-to-create-a-sports-bumper-in-blender-2-8/

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Hello cclarry!

Do you think Blender can do what Humble Bundle - Filmmakers offers?

I mean like handle video (x264 mostly), 3D titles/text and particle/FX?

All I want to do is make videos with lots of particles & FX with 3D Titles & Text for my music, and some gaming videos.

USD$30.00 is a exceptional deal I think, but if I can do all that with only Blender then I'm saving 30!

What do you think?

24 minutes ago, ChazEd said:

Hello cclarry!

Do you think Blender can do what Humble Bundle - Filmmakers offers?

I mean like handle video (x264 mostly), 3D titles/text and particle/FX?

All I want to do is make videos with lots of particles & FX with 3D Titles & Text for my music, and some gaming videos.

USD$30.00 is a exceptional deal I think, but if I can do all that with only Blender then I'm saving 30!

What do you think?

I've never worked with Blender, but I can't see why you couldn't do that with just Blender.

The $30 is a GREAT deal if you are looking to do "Pro Video" level work

I'd download Blender and give it a go and see if it will do what you want...
If not, then you still have time to jump on the $30 offer

Edited by cclarry
  • Thanks 1

Resolve is most likely a better choice for "All I want to do is make videos with lots of particles & FX with 3D Titles & Text for my music, and some gaming videos."

But Blender or Resolve(with Fusion) or HitFilm all are just different takes on the same problem really.  And that problem is that good motion graphics isn't easy.  So you either end up with something that looks bad or you end up using someone's template (commercial or free).  Or you spend 10,000 hours(*) and learn to make your own.  I don't think it matters which cheap/free app you pick really though.  None of them really change the problem.  Just like Protools vs Cakewalk won't really make your song a top hit. 

The Humble Bundle is a pretty good deal no matter how you look at it, and if you are producing videos it could be a useful investment.  Also the Humble Music & Sound Effects bundle might also be useful.  You also might want to skip all of that and buy some online classes.  Though finding a class that is narrowly tailored to what you need that only uses cheap/free software might be difficult.  Most of the better classes focus on After Effects.  For example I enjoyed this Udemy class but it's After Effects based https://www.udemy.com/course/motion-typography

There are lots of free instructional videos/websites though, but don't rule out paying for a class just because it's not free.  Sometimes it's easy to get so focused on what things cost instead of what they actually are.  Don't rule out free just because it's free and don't rule out expensive just because it's expensive.

* Your mileage may vary.

• Thanks 1

I got into Blender for a while.

The learning curve is staggering (not Blender's fault, creating a world from scratch takes mountains of tedious effort).

It toasted the CPU on my PC.  Rendering graphics is very CPU intensive (again, not Blender's fault, the PC was under designed).

• Thanks 1

Doesn't hurt that Epic put 1.2 million into Blender with the recent megagrant contribution, either.  Blender + Unreal Engine is a powerful combination even for uses outside of gaming.  Not sure of any Blender use in the process, but I found it fascinating how The Mandalorian uses UE4 to render real-time sets and apparently the projection of these realtime sets allows for great interactive lighting that helps while shooting.  I also thought I had read that some of these UE4 sets made it into the final products.  Cool stuff all around.

• Like 2

A while back, I was interested in getting more into 3D graphics design and gave Blender a try. It's a very powerful program, but I found the learning curve to be really steep. It also didn't help that most of the documentation was for a previous version where menu items, etc. were in a slightly different place. All in all, it seems like a fantastic program if you know what you're doing; if you're learning, you might find the UI a little user-hostile.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys & girls!

I think I'm better with the Humble Bundle - Filmmakers.

Blender is a full 3D package that can do some video compositing, apparently.

AFAIK, Hitfilm's highlights are text and particles & FX. And that's all I need, because: 

Just quoting for posterity 😊

Thank you all!

• Like 1