Audio Playback issues

Jeffiphone

I use a 2nd Gen Focusrite 2i2 as my interface and have a great newish PC. Everything works fine when I'm playing back songs in Cakewalk, or mp3's in media player. However, if I want to watch a Youtube video, or any other thing with audio via the internet, the audio is horribly crackly and distorted. I've gone through all the device manager and sound settings for my computer, but nothing seems to fix the issue. I've also visited the "Suspend......" function in Preferences in Cakewalk.

Basically, I just want all audio on my computer to go through my Focusrite into my monitors and play clearly.  I must be missing something here. Thanks for any help with this matter.

~Jeff

2 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

It could be a number of things, maybe it's a sample rate mismatch, or if YouTube wants to use Windows native drivers and Cakewalk wants to use ASIO, they're arguing.  Does it work if you choose native Windows drivers for Cakewalk instead of ASIO?

Actually, I'm not given an option to use any other drivers for Cakewalk or other audio. My default driver/device is always set to the Focusrite. The only other option in my device manager is the Realtek HD, which I thought I was supposed to disable for music production.

As for the sample rate, that sounds more like what's going on. How would check that, and what would I be checking for???

Thanks so much!

~Jeff

The most common reason for this is that Windows is trying to use the 2i2 at 48Khz, and Cakewalk is using 44.1Khz.  

The 2i2 can't use both at once.

I don't use my 2i2 much on Windows (normally I set Windows to use the Realtek), but when I do, I set Windows to use 44.1Khz so it's using the same sample rate as Cakewalk.

Be aware though, that Windows has a nasty habit of reverting it back to 48Khz after updates.

[Edit] - Oh, and make sure the bit rate is the same too (i.e. 24 bit in both Windows & Cakewalk)

Thanks Mark. That helps clarify things. I have two monitors, one being a large HD tv. So I just enabled the audio on the TV for Windows stuff. Cakewalk is still using the 2i2. Seems to work fine. 

I'd still like to use the 2i2 though. Can you tell me how I can set Windows to use the 44.1Khz?