Audio clip won't stay still when zooming in/out?

Christian Jones

So this has always been the case for me in Cakewalk since way back and well today I've had enough lol. When you want to do surgical editing to a certain part in a clip and you put your curser on it to zoom out so that you can surgically cut it there, the clip won't stay put, it takes off to the right or left as you continue zooming and won't focus and remain in place where you have the curser.. I mean why? I don't need a dedicated wave editor just to have that that one little feature I would think would be necessary, do I? Is there a way to make the clip remain in place where I have my cursor on it when zooming? There has to be..

29 minutes ago, Chris Jones said:

...you put your curser on it to zoom out...

Make sure Mouse Wheel Zoom in the Track View Options menu is set to zoom At Cursor rather than At Now time. Personally, I prefer to set the Now time where I want to zoom, and then zoom on the Now time.

• Like 2

Yeah it's set to "at curser" in Mouse Wheel Zoom options and the clips still don't stay put whether I'm zooming out in the now time or the curser.. as soon as I start zooming I have to chase the clip down no matter what and the curser is just left hanging there as the clip takes off. Does no one else have this problem? 

I found that I can reproduce that if I start by zooming with the cursor left of center in the tracks pane. Start by zooming on something right of center, and zooming anywhere will work as expected after that.

EDIT: Also, of you zoom out to point that 1:01:000 becomes visible, the cycle starts over, and you have to again start zooming right of center.

Edited by David Baay

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Note the first reference said 'center in the tracks pane'. So, for example, if the timeline is showing measures 1 through 16 to start,  start zooming somewhere right of bar 9.

Yeah man I read that clearly, but still don't follow or see how that's at all useful for efficient, surgical editing .. I'm talking about being able to zoom in on a specific section of an audio clip so I can surgically edit it *at that very point where the curser is, i.e. exactly where I need it to be, not just broadly in the center of the clip, but a specific point* ... so if you're saying that I have to zoom in on the center of the clip to keep the clip in place, and then go and hunt down the point of the clip that I was trying to surgically edit, that just defeats the whole purpose. Am I misunderstanding you? 

Say you have an 8 bar audio clip and you want to surgically zoom in and edit somewhere like 30 frames into the start of the clip.. you're saying I have to zoom in on the middle of the clip first? That makes zero sense to me, that's why I feel like I may misunderstanding you somehow. 

Edited by Chris Jones

Zoom at cursor does feel like strange behaviour, more so if using mouse wheel rather than the magnifying glass on the timeline or something, as what it does is begin the zoom where your cursor is when you first initiate the zoom. However, it zooms by shifting the right side of the clip to the right side of the window. When the clip reaches the right side it zooms the left side until the clip reaches the left side of the window. This makes it so the zoom point is at the centre of your workspace.

Thus, when using the mouse wheel your cursor will shift, so the reference for the next 'zoom step' (or whatever we want to call it) is at a different location than it was when you first initiated the zoom. This makes it so you have to keep shifting the cursor back onto the point that you want to zoom to.

You can negate this problem by using the magnifying glass on the timeline to zoom instead of the mousewheel.

Edited by ien
must remember to proofread before hitting submit

That's why I prefer to zoom on the Now time. Since I usually want to zoom on or near the start of a note, snapping the Now time to the nearest beat and/or tabbing to the transient, and zooming gets me that spot centered in the tracks pane without having to take care where my cursor is. And if the exact spot I want goes a little off screen at high zoom levels, it's a simple matter to scroll left or right.

This is why I love forums. I didn't even know Cakewalk could Zoom at Cursor. I also didn't know about being able to zoom with the mouse wheel. So handy!

Now, because of Chris grousing about a bug, I will be zipping around at twice the speed.

I didn't know about the option because of one of my grouses, which is that settings and options and preferences are spread out all over the place, and I have not been able, after 9 months of using the program, been able to find anywhere in the documentation that lists all the options in one place.

Mouse wheel action is kind of sad around here because I prefer a Trackman Marble for pointing, but there are so many cool things that one can do with a wheel that I've sidelined my beloved Marble until I can sort out the issue of being able to use the ball as a wheel. Some clever lad has come up with a utility that allows one to hold one of the small buttons and wheel with the ball, but I haven't set it up yet.