No Master Bus

Starise

I loaded up some midi tracks. Routed those tracks to separate Kontakt instrument tracks each with it's own channel. I successfully froze the midi to audio. My template is the tracks view and console view on another monitor. I have all modules in console view checks as visible. All of my midi/audio tracks show up but no master bus. This is the first time I have ever loaded a project without the master showing. and no clear way to put it back.

9 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Then make sure to route the outputs of your tracks to the master.

Good point. One can set a bus as the default bus. This will automatically route any new track to that bus. I like to have more than one buss for different instruments . Like drums go to a drum bus and GTs to another but all outputing to the master bus. 

Thanks John and Reginald. I have used Cakewalk for a long time and never opened the program with no master bus.  Maybe this was a template that was omitted with the current build as part of the default launch?  I right clicked the screen before I posted here and seen the "add a  bus "which I regularly do when adding group reverb. Had no idea I could bring in any bus and label it as master routing through it..... seemed very odd to me that my  master just disappeared.

The fix seems easy enough though. Thanks!

Kenny, Thanks man! 

This was almost certainly the issue since the very first thing I did was import midi. Apparently the midi default does not include a master. I seldom import midi most often playing it in. This is why I had never experienced it before.

Now I'm curious as to the rational behind it. Seems that when using only midi a master isn't expressly necessary. I can't think of a case where midi isn't eventually routed through audio? Unless possibly it could be sent to another DAW  or drive hardware synths. My guess would be that the team left it this way because you wouldn't need to remove a master if you were doing something differently, like sending multiple channels through a midi interface and on to hardware to be then sent as audio to pretty much anything else. Hearkens back to the old days when this was how it was all mostly done.

A master bus is never necessary. That said, having a master bus in most cases is very useful.

Using the automatic TTS-1 mapping feature causes all MIDI tracks to be routed to TTS-1 then to a single audio track. This audio track is effectively the master. Once a user decides to add additional audio/instrument tracks adding a master bus is a good idea.

Maybe BandLab should add some logic to CbB adding an optional dialog recommending a master bus when it detects more than one audio/instrument track in a project that lacks a master bus.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, HeLoS BoNoS said:

Can someone please explain to me what those two channels are on the right with the double red faders? I thought it was my master bus but I am unable to add any plugins to it and cannot figure out what to do with it!

in my prior post I explained how when I open an empty project in Cakewalk I will get a master bus added.

When I right click to open a midi file I wont get the master buss ....in the case of the pic you mentioned I had opened up an Art Tatum midi file of a transcription of the song called Caravan , then  I added a piano VST to hear the midi file ( hard left of pic ) 

hence the reason for  the 2 different pics w an explanation tailored specifically to the OP's original question / thread

Other than that , things look that way because I have a Focusrite 2i4 ..... what you see are my sound cards outputs showing up in the console view  ...My card has two stereo sets of outputs . left set is outputs 1 & 2 right set is 3 & 4 ...

Things may look totally different depending on the card someone else is using ...

Ether way regardless , adding a Master Bus or any type of Bus in Cakewalk is super easy ..

I don't consider any of this to be an issue ....

hope this helps clarify things for you ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

Hey Kenny, yes. Thanks so much. So the red fader channels have to do with one's soundcard outputs. Not busses. I'm just used to using Reaper which has a designated master track that is locked hard right or left on the console depending on how you set it up.

After reading your response, I ended up creating a master bus and went to each track and redirected the outputs to it. Easy peasy. I think what I did when I created the project was just deleted the 3 busses with the intent of not wanting to mess with them on my first CbB project to keep things simple. So much clearer now. Thanks again.

BTW, what's the purpose of the preview track?