Is there a "best" way to organize VST files?

yeto

Question

7 answers to this question

Here is the strategy I use

One folder for VST3 plugins. Another folder for VST2 plugins.  Stay way clear of 32bit plugins - they are more trouble then they are wortth.

VST2 > "D:\Data files\vstplugins"
VST3 > "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" < best not to change this.

When ever I install a new plugin, do a custom install and make sure the VST2s install to "D:\Data files\vst plugins".  Deselect 32bit versions if asked.

When install is complete, open up CbB PIM and do a scan.  Place new plugin into the relevant plugin layout.

Test in an audio track if a effect plugin , or test synth if softsynth plugin.

The best way is the one that works for you.

Here is a post I made earlier about plug-in install paths

I prefer to force VST2 plug-ins into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins in folders by manufacturer. I do the same with VST3 except using  C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 as the root. This was more important years ago when reliable sorting options in the DAW were limited. I still like to keep plug-ins in manufacturer folders because it is easier for me to see what is happening in Windows Explorer.

That said, there are a limited number of places manufacturers use to install their plug-ins. There is nothing wrong with using the defaults. Pay attention to where the installers say they are going to put things.

22 hours ago, Promidi said:

Here is the strategy I use

One folder for VST3 plugins. Another folder for VST2 plugins.  Stay way clear of 32bit plugins - they are more trouble then they are wortth.

VST2 > "D:\Data files\vstplugins"
VST3 > "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" < best not to change this.

When ever I install a new plugin, do a custom install and make sure the VST2s install to "D:\Data files\vst plugins".  Deselect 32bit versions if asked.

When install is complete, open up CbB PIM and do a scan.  Place new plugin into the relevant plugin layout.

Test in an audio track if a effect plugin , or test synth if softsynth plugin.

Thank you. This will help me devise a system that will be best for me.

yeto

9 hours ago, scook said:

The best way is the one that works for you.

Here is a post I made earlier about plug-in install paths

I prefer to force VST2 plug-ins into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins in folders by manufacturer. I do the same with VST3 except using  C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 as the root. This was more important years ago when reliable sorting options in the DAW were limited. I still like to keep plug-ins in manufacturer folders because it is easier for me to see what is happening in Windows Explorer.

That said, there are a limited number of places manufacturers use to install their plug-ins. There is nothing wrong with using the defaults. Pay attention to where the installers say they are going to put things.

Thank you. Your posts always help a lot. 

Thank you for taking the time,
yeto

I have a folder called "VST Main" under program files and all my third party VST's go in there. I don't use 32 bit vst's.

Sometimes the VST's are automatically installed to different folders by whatever DAW or third party vendor so I leave them there and put them in the VST scan list in the DAW.

I don't care about VST 2 or 3 conflicts, I think there have been a couple of problems, I just deleted the VST 3 copy if necessary.

VST2 go into C:\VST32 or C:\VST64 (sub-)folders (avoiding UAC, etc on the Program Files hive)

VST3 into C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder (that's a system-wdie setting, so don;t change it)

Worth remembering that even if a VST2 installer doesn't let you choose a custom location durnig installation, after install is finished you can usually (i repeat, usually) just copy the DLLs to your prefered location

/fwiw