Tezza

Upgrade to windows 10....free!

Some may already know about this but the free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 offered by Microsoft still works using the media creation utility.

It was quite a painless upgrade for me but it does not work for everyone so I've been told.

It will scan your system to see if the upgrade is possible on your system before you actually install it.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this. It's great that it worked for you. But just a warning to anyone else trying this: be sure and make a backup of your PC and Emergency Repair Disk BEFORE you try this! 

I tried this free Win10 update on a Windows 7 PC at work 3 years ago. I ran all the diagnostic tests to make sure it qualified, which it did/does.  When I tried the update, it got stuck in an endless reboot cycle and couldn't finish. I ended up having shut it down and restore from a backup.  To this day, it still tries the Win10 upgrade though Windows Update and "fails".

• Like 1

Your best bet is backup everything and bite the bullet. The media Creation Tool once downloaded and run eventually gives you an option to keep whats there OR clean install. If possible I recommend the latter to avoid inheriting and past stuff from the old win 7 install.

Also - remove any AV software you might have installed before doing this AND before doing that check the system for malware, if found clear that before the upgrade.

I would even tmp install malwarebytes and check system with that before the upgrade. Remove MB when done and clean.

With the above I have had 100% success last few years. I know its a pain in the ***** ending up with a clean install and having to reinstall all applications again, but far less work that trying to figure out errors etc as described by mibby.

To do upgrade / clean install all you need to do is search google for Microsoft Media creation Tool. Download from the MS link, then run it. When you run it you do get an option also to be able to burn a Win10 install disc if required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last time I tried Win10  (a bit more than a year ago) on another hard drive just to see if it will work the same, better or worse than the Win8.1 I'm still running and it was a nightmare. W10 sniffed around all my disks and partitions, indexed every file, left lots of junk within my main system. Would occupy system resources to run tasks I never planned launching during recording sessions. Horrible experience.

I wonder if anything has changed since then. ¬¬

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soundwise said:

Last time I tried Win10  (a bit more than a year ago) on another hard drive just to see if it will work the same, better or worse than the Win8.1 I'm still running and it was a nightmare. W10 sniffed around all my disks and partitions, indexed every file, left lots of junk within my main system. Would occupy system resources to run tasks I never planned launching during recording sessions. Horrible experience.

I wonder if anything has changed since then. ¬¬

As I mentioned .. best approach is to back up everything and using the MS media creation tool download do a clean new install. Its the best way. Then reinstall all apps and data fresh with no previous OP SYS inherited issues.

Another angle is to buy a new harddrive, keep the old one with all data and previous op sys, pop it into an empty Ext USB drive caddy. Then use that as your backup. Install win10 fresh on new drive and just copy data etc back over from the old drive, now an ext usb drive

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Another angle is to buy a new harddrive, keep the old one with all data and previous op sys

You didn't read the  post you replied to, did you? The question was about W10 behaviour, not installation tips for noobs.

3 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

You didn't read the  post you replied to, did you? The question was about W10 behaviour, not installation tips for noobs.

I did actually. In a round about way I was saying a clean install is best plus will starkly show the behaviours you mention and if they are still there as previous in a least destructive manner. Doing this way means you keep your existing win 8 install and can keep on using that forever

Edited by aidan o driscoll

6 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I did actually. In a round about way I was saying a clean install is best plus will starkly show the behaviours you mention and if they are still there as previous in a least destructive manner. Doing this way means you keep your existing win 8 install and can keep on using that forever

Then I wasn't clear enough.

1) Drive 1 has W8.1 and all software installed.

2) Drive2 was used to demo W10.

3) W10 turned out to be a nightmare.

4) It was more than a year ago.

5) Me wants to know if anything has changed in W10 or it's still as intrusive as it used to be.

Ok. So you detached drive 1 temporarily and installed & ran w10 on drive 2?

Only reason I ask that is because you said - "W10 sniffed around all my disks and partitions, indexed every file, left lots of junk within my main system."

That looks like you left drive 1 in the system while installing w10 on drive 2? Again maybe Im picking this up wrong?

Win10 has improved on the sniffing around thing. You can turn off alot more stuff now than back then

Again .. try install it on another drive with your existing drive disconnected and road test it that way?

• Like 1

This thread is good timing! I'm literally getting ready to do this with a Win8 Pro PC and am downloading the Windows 10 Media now.  For Xmas I am getting an SSD and the intent is to replace the drive/OS in the Win8 PC with Win10 and an SSD.  As this will be a dedicated DAW PC, I don't care about anything on there currently except the OS license which I want to convert to Win10.

So... how best to do the "clean" install with the Win10 USB Media I'm downloading now?  Do "clean" install as mentioned above, then replace with SSD if all goes well?

12 minutes ago, mibby said:

This thread is good timing! I'm literally getting ready to do this with a Win8 Pro PC and am downloading the Windows 10 Media now.  For Xmas I am getting an SSD and the intent is to replace the drive/OS in the Win8 PC with Win10 and an SSD.  As this will be a dedicated DAW PC, I don't care about anything on there currently except the OS license which I want to convert to Win10.

So... how best to do the "clean" install with the Win10 USB Media I'm downloading now?  Do "clean" install as mentioned above, then replace with SSD if all goes well?

Download media creation tool. Run it and when it asks to upgrade current system now or create an ISO, do the latter. This will download the ISO ( called windows.iso ) and then you can burn the ISO to a blank DVD. Now you have win10 install media. ALTERNATIVELY, once you have the ISO you can use RUFUS to make a USB Stick Win10 install media:

https://rufus.ie/

Take out the old drive, stick in the new ssd and boot from either the DVD you created or the USB stick and install win10 from there to that new ssd.

With respect to the license - it maybe hardwired in the systems bios .. depends. If not and before you disconnect the win 8 drive try this to retrieve your win8 product ID:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-find-your-windows-8-or-8-1-product-key-2626234

If you dont already have it!

Once you install windows 10 on the new drive it will ask you on the way in for product id OR if already previously installed skip and the install will find. Even if you do the latter unsuccessfully you can always load up win10, go to START / Settings / System and scroll down where it allows you to change or add prod id/key

• Thanks 2

Perfect - thanks Aidan!  Now I just need to get everything ready and wait until Santa brings my SSD!  🎅

Guyz , stupid question , i just bougth lenovo M715Q witch by the way is a beast and i higkly recommend this for you guyz , i bougth it in conjonction with a Thinkceter touch screen 24 , whole thing at 870 euros 4 quadcore 8 threads, wrpime score at 8 sec ...latecny mon super clear .....

Anyway , usallyi do dual boots , one for pro use and one for home use ...

This time i want the home use to have accounts for kids , my questions is when i install stuff , do i have to install it in the admin profile and then share authorisations for their account (don't know how to do that) or do i have to install stuff logged in their account whith admi right and install their ?

Edited by Zo

When I upgraded to Win10 from Win 7, I first made a complete system image of my current build, then I used the media creation tool, and then let it upgrade this computer online. That activated my Win10 digital license (no reg key required). Then I clean installed Win 10 using a Win 10 ISO made with the media creation tool. Since my computer had already been authorized no reg key needed after clean install.

That clean install meant I had to re-install everything else afterwards, but it's now been over 3 years with absolutely no problems. It's been the most stable OS I've ever run. And now with versions 1903 and 1909 you can set deferrals for monthly updates and semi-annual feature updates, even in the Home edition, so you don't get surprise updates that interrupt your project sessions.

With that said, Windows 10 out of the box (defaults) does sometimes have a  mind of it's own regarding running scheduled background maintenance tasks, not to mention privacy settings that you should review.

1. So mind your startup tasks, and disable any non-essential 3rd party tasks that run at boot.

2. And then in Windows Task Scheduler, check for non-essential Windows and 3rd party scheduled tasks and disable them.

If you have the Pro version, it also comes with Group Policy Editor (gpedit), which lets you enable and disable various system policies to further lock down Windows administrative settings. (ex: CEIP  customer experience improvement program, Cortana, Windows desktop searching the web, One Drive, application telemetry, automatic updates, etc.).

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, mibby said:

Perfect - thanks Aidan!  Now I just need to get everything ready and wait until Santa brings my SSD!  🎅

I updated that post with Product ID info

• Thanks 1

Can we still disqable updates , automatic updates , restore points creation ect ?

2 minutes ago, Zo said:

Can we still disqable updates , automatic updates , restore points creation ect ?

For updates, only with Pro, although some registry hacks exist for Home, but I wouldn't depend on them. You can defer with Home, but not indefinitely. When deferral period expires, you must update before you can defer again.

Restore points can be disabled the same as with Win 7 & 8.

Edited by abacab

1 minute ago, abacab said:

Only with Pro, although some registry hacks exist for Home, but I wouldn't depend on them.

Pro here , so good news ;) can you enlight me aboput the account sharing questions on my previuous post ?

2 minutes ago, Zo said:

Pro here , so good news ;) can you enlight me aboput the account sharing questions on my previuous post ?

Sorry, I only use a single user machine, so not qualified to give advice in that regard. ;)

Good luck!

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1