"The Arrival"

antler

2 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

You should copyright that chord progression.  You'd be rich!

vi-IV-I-V Is used everywhere. I used a variation of it myself in On Metal Wings where it goes i-VI-III-VII-III-VII | i-VI-v-VI-VII

Sensitive Female Chord progression aside, you did well with the arrangement.

Edited by LadyFuzztail

To my ear this has too much of John Murphy's "Adagio in D Minor" on the melody to feel comfortable. But looking past that:

The percussion feels way bigger than the actual orchestra. The high strings particularly are pushed too much to the back. Also some of bigger percussion hits come about quite abruptly. The male choir could be more present, it would give much more backbone to the track.

Structurewise I feel this didn't quite go to full on climax you'd expect.

Thanks everyone; glad you enjoyed listening.

16 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Anthony, great piece here. Epic in all the right spots, tension that builds and is released. Mix sounded great.

What was the product - insurance? dentures? a Sham-wow? Whatever, very likely their product is unworthy of your fine composition.

Hi Tom. It was a virtual instrument library; probably isn't fair to name names.

6 hours ago, Kuusniemi said:

To my ear this has too much of John Murphy's "Adagio in D Minor" on the melody to feel comfortable. But looking past that:

The percussion feels way bigger than the actual orchestra. The high strings particularly are pushed too much to the back. Also some of bigger percussion hits come about quite abruptly. The male choir could be more present, it would give much more backbone to the track.

Structurewise I feel this didn't quite go to full on climax you'd expect.

Hi Kuusniemi. I hadn't heard Adagio in D Minor before (or that I could remember), but you're right: there is a very close similarity. Having said that, it occurred to me after finishing it that it reminded me of another piece of music that features in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. No plagiarism consciously intended. Thanks for the comments; always good to know how I can improve my mixes.

17 hours ago, LadyFuzztail said:

Sensitive Female Chord progression aside, you did well with the arrangement.

Thanks LadyFuzztail, though I'm not quite sure what you mean; do you think another vocal would be better, or that the vocal part could be arranged more suitably?

2 hours ago, antler said:

Thanks everyone; glad you enjoyed listening.

Hi Tom. It was a virtual instrument library; probably isn't fair to name names.

Hi Kuusniemi. I hadn't heard Adagio in D Minor before (or that I could remember), but you're right: there is a very close similarity. Having said that, it occurred to me after finishing it that it reminded me of another piece of music that features in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. No plagiarism consciously intended. Thanks for the comments; always good to know how I can improve my mixes.

No need to feel bad, Adagio in D Minor is one of most copied pieces of recent years (I believe yours was not intentional). One needs only to listen the score for Battle Los Angeles to hear pretty much a straight copy...

On 1/24/2019 at 4:37 AM, antler said:

Thanks LadyFuzztail, though I'm not quite sure what you mean; do you think another vocal would be better, or that the vocal part could be arranged more suitably?

I think it's fine, I am just commenting on the fact that it's very common among female pop artists to use i-VI-III-VII (also written as vi-IV-I-V in Major)

For those who studied jazz and practiced countless solos and ideas from other jazz musicians ad absurdum   you shouldn't feel bad about using other ideas...it's just better to do a variation of some kind.  Writing variations is a great way to come up with ideas too. you did a fantastic job with this.