Rain is Coming Down

noynekker

noynekker  well done and great skills.
I am listening on my Focal TRIO6 BE and the mix is wide and balanced.
Mix  translates well in mono too.
Percussion is great..  (I always struggle with percussion levels myself)
How did you get that marimba so wide?
Vocal and backing very good. 
Very nice lead vocal...  as someone else has said very "George Michael" ish.  Thats a compliment.
Great use of reverb and delay.

We all paint very different pictures when it comes to mixing.
The only thing I would do..  I personally think the bass could give a little more groove..  cant explain what I mean.
Warmer and slight more sustain... little more in level?? 

When I added my sub..  which I hardly do..  it kicked butt ... so I change my comment above...  more sub level!  🙂
Thats what I was trying to get across......but this is only personal preference.
I listened to the track five times now.. brilliant.
Quality!!

Listened to all of your other tracks on sound cloud...  This is my favorite one.

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

Songwriting, performance, production; all top notch!
I wouldn't change a thing, print it, bring us more!
Mucho thumbs up!

Tom

I too had a listen to the rest of your work. I must concur this is my fav (most "polished"), but all in all very nice work.

Edited by DeeringAmps
added content
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your amazing comments ! 

Good to know I'm on the right track with this mix.

Originally, I had some very low frequencies at the front and back of this song, to paint a stormy (rainy) feeling, but it just made my speakers buzz, so I tapered it back some . . . probably the right call. The mix was the result of a way too long session, where the ears and mind lose their objectivity. 

16 hours ago, garybrun said:

noynekker  well done and great skills.
I am listening on my Focal TRIO6 BE and the mix is wide and balanced.
Mix  translates well in mono too.
Percussion is great..  (I always struggle with percussion levels myself)
How did you get that marimba so wide?
Vocal and backing very good. 
Very nice lead vocal...  as someone else has said very "George Michael" ish.  Thats a compliment.
Great use of reverb and delay.

We all paint very different pictures when it comes to mixing.
The only thing I would do..  I personally think the bass could give a little more groove..  cant explain what I mean.
Warmer and slight more sustain... little more in level?? 

When I added my sub..  which I hardly do..  it kicked butt ... so I change my comment above...  more sub level!  🙂
Thats what I was trying to get across......but this is only personal preference.
I listened to the track five times now.. brilliant.
Quality!!

Listened to all of your other tracks on sound cloud...  This is my favorite one.

Hi garybrun . . . I really appreciate your taking the time to have a close listen, and it's very helpful to know the low end sounds OK loud, which I just can't do here in my humble studio. I understand what you mean about the bass guitar, I just tried to keep the rhythm section very simple on this one, but may replay it in a bit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, amiller said:

Lot’s of good songs here lately and this one is no exception.  Very well done.

Thank you for your comment  amiller . . . and I agree, there are a lot of interesting and accomplished writers sharing their songs on the Cakewalk site these days. Over the holidays I really hope to have a good listen to many of them . . . I'm actually finding it more interesting listening here than my fav radio stations right now.

4 hours ago, congalocke said:

Interesting, feelings of Men At Work, Wham.  I like it...that guitar tone is excellent and well played, (is that a real guitar?).

Nice...

Wow, Men at Work and Wham . . . now that takes me back in time a bit. Always liked George Michael's voice.

Yes, I'm playing a real guitar in this one, it's a Gibson Epiphone, through a Korg A3 guitar processor.

• Like 1

I'll just throw Johnny Clegg and Savuka onto the comparison bonfire! Really great production, and loved the mix. Nice choice, the congas on the edges.

In just a few spots, I found the lead vocal dips a bit and the guitars overtake it. Maybe :34, in that bridge? section? I dunno. Not really a problem. 'cause it's a great guitar part, super clean.

yes, keep these coming please! nice job!!! Especially the bgv's . . .

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, emeraldsoul said:

I'll just throw Johnny Clegg and Savuka onto the comparison bonfire! Really great production, and loved the mix. Nice choice, the congas on the edges.

In just a few spots, I found the lead vocal dips a bit and the guitars overtake it. Maybe :34, in that bridge? section? I dunno. Not really a problem. 'cause it's a great guitar part, super clean.

yes, keep these coming please! nice job!!! Especially the bgv's . . .

cheers,

-Tom

Hi Tom . . . thank you for listening, and for your constructive comments. So many great responses here, so I'm still mixing this.

I went online and searched for Johhny Clegg and Savuka . . . and found myself listening to some amazing music ! . . . thanks for that.

Seems my bongos sound like congas 😎