Nudging data left/right on two MIDI tracks simultaneously creates a duplicate MIDI track?

Christian Jones

There's these extra MIDI tracks being created for no reason and showing up in the Tracks Pane in the PRV and at the bottom of the Clips pane, and I now see that when I highlight data on two separate MIDI tracks, like a MIDI drum track and a piano track so as to nudge them left/right at the same time/amount using the nudge hotkeys (4 for left, 6 for right on the number pad), in this case each first nudge causes a duplicate MIDI drum track to be created and sometimes a duplicate of the piano track too, though I haven't figured out the rhyme or reason for when the dupe piano track gets created, but the dupe drum track gets created every time w/ each first nudge when nudging data on two separate MIDI tracks simultaneously (each nudge thereafter doesn't appear to cause this). This can't be right.

Are you sure you're not holding the CTRL key ?  I'm just saying I inadvertently do this when nudging audio tracks or doing short drags.  Mine are clips hidden behind clips though and  not new discrete tracks being created unless a slop the the mouse up and down a bit. Your description sounds like a bug - mine is certainly just being careless.

Hmmm... I was actually able to reproduce this, but only once. After Undo, which removed the new track (an empty duplicate of the second of two MIDI tracks selected) as well as undoing the nudge, I could no longer reproduce it, even after restarting Cakewalk. FWIW, I nudged right using Numkey 9 (Nudge 1).

Perhaps most people don't work this way and I've only recently adapted it, but when you're working in the PRV and you go to the clips pane to highlight data from two or more MIDI tracks, then go back to the PRV where you then proceed to do your nudges.. after the first nudge a dupe MIDI track gets created every single time/session on my system - but *also* after the first nudge only one of the two or more MIDI tracks you highlighted remains highlighted, so you may *think* you're nudging all the tracks you highlighted but are in fact only nudging the one that remained highlighted after the first nudge. This happens only in the PRV though, as in the clips pane all the tracks you initially highlighted remain highlighted regardless of how many times you nudge them. This explains why in the PRV after I'd nudge things from a few highlighted tracks simultaneously they were suddenly out of pocket from one another when they were perfectly pocketed before. Lol the other day I had nearly 20 dupe MIDI tracks created from nudging before I even noticed them down there. Anyway.