What do I lose if I only install CbB

Jack Stoner

I'm planning to do a complete "clean" install of Win 10 on my DAW Desktop.  The current Win 10 install was an upgrade from Win 8.1 and has both Sonar Platinum and CbB installed.  I know I'll have to reinstall my paid add-on's such as Izotope Ozone, POD Farm, etc.

I only use my DAW basically as a muti-track "tape" recorder so what do I lose by only having CbB installed?  Or, should I Install Platinum first?

Platinum included much more content: plug-ins, loops, etc. BandLab recommends installing Platinum before CbB but if you do not want all the bundled plug-ins you can skip it.

Here is the list of included plug-ins bundled with CbB http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Music Creator 6 Touch&language=3&help=Plug-ins.1.html

Here is the list of included plug-ins bundled with Platinum http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Plug-ins.1.html

If you use Addictive Drums (bundled with Platinum), use the XLN installer from the XLN audio  site.

Use your Celemony account to get the latest Melodyne installer.

• Thanks 1

I installed CbB on a new PC, to see what it has.  I loaded a couple of old projects and other than some 3rd party purchased add-on's such as POD Farm,  Ozone, etc I don't see anything that I can't live without.  I'm not going to install Platinum.  If I find down the line I need something then I'll install it.

3 hours ago, Jack Stoner said:

I installed CbB on a new PC, to see what it has.  I loaded a couple of old projects and other than some 3rd party purchased add-on's such as POD Farm,  Ozone, etc I don't see anything that I can't live without.  I'm not going to install Platinum.  If I find down the line I need something then I'll install it.

The main things in my mind are the LP-EQ, Comp, Adaptive Limiter but if you have full Ozone you might not miss them.  Others might use the BlueTubes "suite" that comes with Plat, but I found that I basically never used them, outside of messsing round with the De-Esser until I found other plugs that worked better for me.  

Then there are the instruments, AAS LIzard, Analog, Strum and True Pianos or the other Synth type of things that come in the box.  These might not be used by you.  

The fact that you didn't need to install SPlat speaks pretty highly of the Bandlab version.  

I could likely get away with the same, but only becuase I have the AAS and True Pianos, along with the LP-EQ and Comp that work outside of Sonar.

Adaptive LImiter I would miss even though I do have alternatives from Izotope, Boz, Limiter-6 as well as others.  It is a "go to" many times for me, even with such formatible alternatives.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

The main things in my mind are the LP-EQ, Comp, Adaptive Limiter but if you have full Ozone you might not miss them.  Others might use the BlueTubes "suite" that comes with Plat, but I found that I basically never used them, outside of messsing round with the De-Esser until I found other plugs that worked better for me.  

Then there are the instruments, AAS LIzard, Analog, Strum and True Pianos or the other Synth type of things that come in the box.  These might not be used by you.  

The fact that you didn't need to install SPlat speaks pretty highly of the Bandlab version.  

I could likely get away with the same, but only becuase I have the AAS and True Pianos, along with the LP-EQ and Comp that work outside of Sonar.

Adaptive LImiter I would miss even though I do have alternatives from Izotope, Boz, Limiter-6 as well as others.  It is a "go to" many times for me, even with such formatible alternatives.  

As I mentioned, I use mine primarily like a multi-track tape recorder.  I record traditional country and thus no distorted guitar and basically no MIDI.  If I need drums I use an Alesis SR-16 or 18.   

20 hours ago, Jack Stoner said:

Just bear in mind that if you install Platinum, you'll want to then reinstall Cakewalk by BandLab on top again as there's shared components that will get overwritten by Platinum. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Just bear in mind that if you install Platinum, you'll want to then reinstall Cakewalk by BandLab on top again as there's shared components that will get overwritten by Platinum. 

I'll keep that in mind if I have to install Platinum, later.  Maybe a custom install of Platinum VST's will be all I need.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:05 AM, Jack Stoner said:

As I mentioned, I use mine primarily like a multi-track tape recorder.  I record traditional country and thus no distorted guitar and basically no MIDI.  If I need drums I use an Alesis SR-16 or 18.   

Many people (including myself) would say they use it basically as a multi-track tape recorder.....but then use something that utilizes virtual instruments on the occasional project....but they play a MIDI keyboard as though it was producing audio.  That is, they don't go back in and do a bunch of midi-editing on the piano roll.  

The idea you would have access to ADII as a platinum owner and then only use an Alesis SR makes me cringe a little on the inside.  ☹️

I also didn't mention anything related to distorted guitars.  

Every tool I mentioned could be used on a traditional country track, though "Strum" I wouldn't think to use as I guitar player I don't find it sounds that authentic.  

Edited by Brian Walton

I tried other drum alternatives and couldn't get them working for what I wanted.   The old Alesis SR-16 and 18 do what I need for drum tracks.  I've done two CD projects for two different drummers who sing and they were perfectly happy with the drum machines.  I've done about 12 song demo CD's for a retired Nashville songwriter and major label producer (for example he was the producer on the last Mel Street Album) and he too was happy with the Alesis.  Actually,  I haven't had one client over the years that wasn't happy with the drums.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 2:02 AM, Jonathan Sasor said:

Can’t your select the Advanced Installation option in Platinum and only install plug ins without installing the program itself.  This would avoid over writing any existing files with older versions and causing problems.

The "Advanced Install" option was available through SONAR X3. Newer versions do not have this option relying on multiple installers for the bundled content. Some of these installers validate the appropriate version of SONAR is installed prior to running.

I made a video years ago using an SR-16 to trigger drum synths (session drummer 3). I used an SR-16 for years back in the early 90's for doing rough demos at home. For the time they were great, i do however believe now, there is much better available in multi sample drum sounds. The velocity changes on the Alesis wasn't very good. It sounded more like a drum being hit at full power with the volume turned down.