Deleting old projects

ron murphy

The projects listed in the start screen and File menu are based on

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core\Recent File List

in the registry

Over time the old entries will fall off the list

If that is not adequate regedit may be used to remove the old entries.

I wrote a tool called Launchpad which can clean up the registry too.

Normally, a project and the associated folders and files are all in a single folder.

If a project is deleted from disk (along with the associated per-project audio, melodyne and mixscene folders) as indicated in the OP, all the disk space used by the projects is recovered.

20 hours ago, ron murphy said:

How do you delete old projects your not using or don't need anymore? I deleted them in my the folder they were in but they are still there when I open up cakewalk. 

3 hours ago, ron murphy said:

Yes, when you open up cakewalk on the start screen. 

I was curious about this.  I am used to deleting files in software that continues to show up in a "Recent Files" list, but since I don't use the start screen in Cakewalk, I was curious. In some software, selecting a file no longer available [moved or deleted] ends up removing it from the "Recent Files" list.

To test, I duplicated a folder, renamed it, renamed 3 of the files, deleted the folder and tried accessing two of the files from the drop-down "File" list on the menu bar. (See pop-up box below.) Both were removed from the drop-down list, evidently from them not being found.

Then I checked Start Screen > Recent Projects.  All 3 files ["Delete 1," "Delete 2," and "Delete 3"] were no longer there!!! However, "Delete 1" is still in the drop-down list. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME!!!!! I know that I can just try to open it and Cakewalk will tell me it cannot be found.

ADDENDUM: I just tried to open the third deleted file. Immediately after I clicked "OK" I checked the drop-down list and it was no longer listed as a "Recent File."

Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to open a deleted project from the "Recent Projects" section of the "Start Screen" page?

From your questions, it doesn't seem to be clear (at least to me) (1) if the project was removed, (2) if it was removed but shows up under Start Screen > Recent Projects, (3) other.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE: I restored the folder from the recycle bin, opened up the three deleted files,  closed Cakewalk, and then deleted (again) two of the files. I then reopened Cakewalk* and went to the Start Screen page (Recent Projects). The two deleted projects were not there!  🙂  And I didn't try to access them after I deleted them. 

*not sure it matters, but I tested using Cakewalk 2019.11 build 63

image.png.5cd600e50313ddf0045d7dc43eb87b12.png

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add an Update; (1) to fix typos and add an addendum about a third test file