sending MIDI out and recording Sound... in one?

Gabor

I use the DeepMind 6 to generate and edit a MIDI track in CakeWalk. I then play the track in CakeWalk and the DeepMind plays the sounds. I then want to record the DeepMind sound through its "line out" back in Cakewalk. I switch off Record in the MIDI track, switch on Record in a new Sound track and press R to record. CakeWalk plays the MIDI track, DeepMind plays the sounds and "sometimes" CakeWalk records the sound. Other times there is a few seconds when the sound is not coming through, and sometimes the audio engine stops.

Is this a loop? The MIDI signal is sent out from CakeWalk and it tries to record the sound in the same cycle but the sound has not been generated yet?

In any case, how can I record the sound driven by the MIDI track in CakeWalk? I've tried but I cannot run two instances of CakeWalk (one to play MIDI, second one to record sound). I could run the two instances of CakeWalk on two computers... but can this be done on one computer running one CakeWalk?

What audio interface? And are you monitoring the audio output of DeepMind through Cakewalk with input echo enabled on the audio track or direct monitoring through the interface?

If using onboard sound that does not have native ASIO drivers, it's best to set WASAPI Exclusive  driver mode in audio preferences. Then make sure the Source in the Soundcard's mixer app is Line In, rather than What U Hear or Stereo Mix. 

If you monitor through Cakewalk, what you hear will be what's recorded.  If you get audio engine dropouts, either while recording or on playback, you  will need to increase the buffer setting in audio preferences.

I'm not using an audio interface, just the line-in of the sound card in the laptop.

I've tried WASAPI Exclusive (thanks Dave) but the sound volume dropped a lot and sometimes the metronome went crazy. Sometimes it was recording the sound fine... but then I reverted to the original setting of WASAPI Shared and it was recording fine too. I am still puzzled.

An audio interface may well be the answer (thanks John).

It would work a lot better if you had an audio interface - routing-wise and latency-wise.

The way it is done, is you create a loop where the MIDI signal is sent from your controller or out of your DAW to the hardware that you would like to record the audio from, and that audio signal is then recorded into your DAW.

Hope this answers your question.