I Failed To See

Douglas Kirby

I liked it, no surprise there! My headphone listen told me drums up, rhythm guitar down, and I noticed that the bass guit plays great stuff but right now seems to be claiming any and all parts of the mix below 600hz ish. Perhaps it was just headphones but you might get some bass out of there - where is your hpf on it, like 40hz? Perhaps higher would clear up those low frequency clouds.

But if this is baked into an already-produced album, okey dokey. Still a good rocker.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Hey, Douglas,

This is a cool, raw sounding rocker with a tasty vintage vibe and a fun retro mix!😀

Nice playing, great vocals and harmonies, and I really liked how the little clean guitar patterns that started at around 1:30 added a new element of depth to the mix along with the additional BGVs.👍

I like the early Jefferson Airplane style guitar solo and how it fits nicely with the retro feel of the song and mix.

I also REALY, REALLY loved "A Gray Colored Sky" that came on right after it!  Absolutely fantastic all the way around!😀

Great stuff, Doug, excellent work!
Bob

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, SPAK said:

This is the stuff I grew up with .. and although I really liked it the mix feels a little muddy ..like it was recorded on tape then mixed digitally ... danno but as said my kinda stuff ..great post

ATB

Steve

Just sussed it !  .... Early Jagger .. took a few listens .   .keep 'em commin' 

On 12/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, emeraldsoul said:

I liked it, no surprise there! My headphone listen told me drums up, rhythm guitar down, and I noticed that the bass guit plays great stuff but right now seems to be claiming any and all parts of the mix below 600hz ish. Perhaps it was just headphones but you might get some bass out of there - where is your hpf on it, like 40hz? Perhaps higher would clear up those low frequency clouds.

But if this is baked into an already-produced album, okey dokey. Still a good rocker.

cheers,

-Tom

I made some adjustment to the mix based on your observations - thank you very much for your ears.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:23 AM, SPAK said:

Just sussed it !  .... Early Jagger .. took a few listens .   .keep 'em commin' 

On 12/17/2019 at 8:52 AM, amiller said:

Wow, very Stones vibe.  The vocals remind me a lot of Mick.

I'm going to concur with Spak and Amiller. But just a reminder, while I hear the influence, I think Doug is unique.

T

kakku - Thank you very much for listening.

SPAK - I use the Waves Abbey Road vinyl plug on all my songs - I think it adds a bit to a warmer sound on my tunes.

David Sprouse - Thank you very much for listening, and I'm glad you liked the song. I'm glad it stayed in your thoughts for a bit.

Bajan Blue - Thanks for listening Nigel.

thegaltieribrothers - I used to like the Stone Roses, back in the day - thanks for listening.

Bob Oister - I appreciate your comments Bob - thank you very much.  That was an interesting comment about the solo sounding like Jefferson Airplane - I never thought of that - but you're right - cheers.

amiller - Thank you very much for giving my song a listen - sounding like Mick is fine by me😃

DeeringAmps - Thank you very much for giving my song a listen, and for calling me unique - cheers.

martsave martin s - I'm glad you liked it - thanks.