Journey in the Fairy Woods

Grebz

Nice tune! I like the transitions between the quieter parts, and sections where there is definitely a tension (fitting for the magical/frightening creatures you mentioned), going through to sections (with the clarinet) that bring a sense of wonder. Well done!

On 12/14/2019 at 3:48 PM, emeraldsoul said:

I get no larger sense of "performance space" in your piece. For a giggle, you might find a sound file of some concert hall or other space, just recorded dead air in that space, not sounds, just the sound of the space itself.

I've not actually downloaded it, but this might fit the bill (though it says it requires full Kontakt 5):

https://cinesamples.com/product/sony-room-tone

Grebz, I have been scrolling over this for a while now, and finally took the plunge.

I can't add anything to the comments already posted, except that I felt I was in a Tolkien story.

How anyone is able to do this is beyond me, inspiring, entertaining, and humbling at the same time.

keep it up

I'm very touched by your reference to Tolkien, as I was an avid reader of Tolkien's books many years before it became a phenomenon with Peter Jackson's movies.
I obviously was thinking of the Tolkien's universe when writing this piece. I'm also a big fan of Danny Elfman's music, and I may have managed to include some influences from this composer as well. Or maybe it's just a wishful impression.
Thank you very much anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice piece!

What others have said about the ambience really comes down to a weakness in many orchestral libraries: There is no physical way to sit in a spot where all of those instruments sound so close to you. But, if you smother them in reverb, you'll just smear everything up and ruin it. So, reverb isn't the way to address it. It can certainly help define a space, but it is also very important to place the instruments so that they aren't in the lap of the listener. It's really difficult to do with a sample library, but it can be done with the right tools.

So, in light of all of that rambling, I think you did a great job in putting together a very listenable, coherent piece! Congrats!

Dan

• Like 1

• 5 months later...