Journey in the Fairy Woods

Grebz

Hi, here's a piece of music I did in Cakewalk. I've used Vienna Symphonic Library instruments.
This is a journey in the woods, and I imagined encountering various creatures, either magical or somewhat frightening.
I hope you'll enjoy it, let me know what you think!

Edited by Grebz
  • Like 5

Wow! 

About 20 seconds in, the fun begins. This is a really wonderful composition and obviously a lot of well-thought out parts dipping in and diving out. Certainly holds the interest.

So the awesome parts all come to a blend that sounds . . . very much . . . as if they are all in a computer. Which of course they are.  I get no larger sense of "performance space" in your piece. For a giggle, you might find a sound file of some concert hall or other space, just recorded dead air in that space, not sounds, just the sound of the space itself. Lay that "air" underneath your piece, and it might fill the quieter gaps in your piece with something from an actual space. It could add the realism.

One such file came with my Impact SOundworks "The Pearl" piano. I'd be happy to email it to you if you pm me.

Anyway, a really inventive piece, well done!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for listening so carefully. Glad you enjoyed it, in spite of its flaws.

About the space, I see what you mean, yet I did use some reverbs (short, medium and long depending on the intruments and how I wanted to place them in the mix), but I did not want to add more as it was becoming harder and harder to mix with added reverb. So I went for compromise. Enough space so that it didn't feel too confined, and little enough to keep clarity in the mix, without having to EQ the instruments too heavily and keep their full "natural" sound. I may have failed that, but orchestral music is not my main style of composition, even though I enjoy doing that a lot, so the good news is: I have room for improvement for future pieces!

I can't remember which reverb(s) I used for this project, I have several, from Fabfilter (Pro-R), Native Instruments (RC24 and RC 48), and a bunch of others, including the reverbs provided with the Vienna instruments, which sound great but I rarely use them because I haven't yet taken the time to really experiment with them.

This so professional and so much work for us to enjoy ... all I have is a big thankyou for the post ! ( I know the Vienna software is top notch but you have to know how to use it .. then mix the result ...... getting gushy so 'nuff said 😊)

ATB

Steve

I had no idea what "gushy" means, so I looked it up in the dictionary (English isn't my mother tongue) ! 😄
Thanks a lot for your comment, very happy to see you enjoyed it!

Yes, Vienna software is great and I'm far from mastering every aspect of it, as I can only learn so much in my spare time. I cannot afford to buy multiple sound libraries that would probably complement each other even better, but I guess I could spend a lifetime learning music and yet never get to the point when I can say 'I know it all'.

Feel free to check out my other songs on my SoundCloud account, I'm trying to be as versatile as my amateur skills allow me. From Orchestral Music to Pop and Rock, and some Electronic elements too, but always aiming to keep it melodic and accessible.

• Like 1

Hi, Grebz,

This is an absolutely fantastic piece of cinematic music!👍😀

The composition, arrangement and orchestration are all excellent, and the well textured mix sounds perfect for the genre.

I could easily imagine this being part of a suspenseful film soundtrack.

Excellent work, my friend, and best wishes for the holiday season!😀
Bob

On 12/14/2019 at 7:48 AM, emeraldsoul said:
On 12/17/2019 at 9:18 AM, garybrun said:

If some form of ambiance/live sound was added it would make it feel more live and I believe it would raise the composition even more.

So the awesome parts all come to a blend that sounds . . . very much . . . as if they are all in a computer. Which of course they are.  I get no larger sense of "performance space" in your piece.

(Whoops the quotes kind of got jumbled up there, but I think you get the meaning)
I've mentioned before that getting that "professional" cinematic sound stage is the one thing (well lots of things really)
that eludes me (and certainly others). I own "tons" of reverbs (don't we all) but evidently don't have a clue how to use
them properly.
That not withstanding a Big Thumbs Up from me,

Tom

my only 'issue', I didn't hear no black pick guard tele in this one; what gives? :)

• Like 1

Thanks for listening and commenting DeeringAmps. Yeah, I'm probably not the best one either at using the reverbs I own. I'm not even sure I'm trying to aim at realism because, let's be honest, I won't be able to achieve that with my current knowledge. I wrote one piece of music for a string quartet, and had the chance to have it played by a real string quartet, and when listening to the real thing, I thought that I could never have succeeded in making the original computer track sound near as good as the real thing. So, I accept the hard truth, my orchestral pieces are what they are: computer-rendered tracks, and if I cannot make them sound as realistic as I would like, at least I hope to make them pleasing to the ear and enjoyable to listen to. Then if by miracle, some of them get played by actual musicians, I'll be more than happy!

Concerning your 'issue': yep, no telecaster in this one, you'll have to listen to my other SoundCloud tracks to get that sound 😋

Edited by Grebz
  • Like 2