Young Lady's Illustrated Primer to Theming Cakewalk

Colin Nicholls

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Noted anomaly for page 33/34 Track view / Track Pane / Menu Button:

image.png.3116f3315b181bdf9ded2b84c4120627.png

All 3 use the same button but the Input/Output buttons are displayed squished by 2 pixels in height :S

The theme button labeled "Edit Filter" is actually the Custom Button Display button at the top of the Track Pane. :S

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Slight corrections for page 56:

"1. FX Chain"    "8 9. ?" are reversed.    Should be   "1. ?"    "8. 9. FX Chain" 

"9. 8." is a white bar of unknown use

"18. DirectX effect"   is also used for "External Insert"

Edited to reverse the reversed corrections.9_9

Edited by sjoens

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

Slight corrections for page 56:

"1. FX Chain"    "8. ?" are reversed.    Should be   "1. ?"    "8. FX Chain" 

"9." is a white bar of unknown use

"18. DirectX effect"   is also used for "External Insert"

Are you saying both the strip and the numbering as shown in the guide are wrong?  I just looked at some FX chains in my Browser and they look like the icon pictured in slot 1.

The strip is 100% right. The book's numbered description isn't.

#1 (and #2?) were used in previous versions of Sonar as shown in this Sonar X1 Browser pic:

71560002_FXicons.png.b6f439f3b2020f2df7931dd919ff2560.png

FX Chain icon has always been #8 #9. Why #1 was replaced with #18 for External Inserts is anyone's guess. If #1 & 2 are no longer used, they could be revamped for things like External Inserts.

BTW, I changed my Tree and text colors to be less confusing. Currently 3 text colors for 4-5 FX states that don't match the icon colors is confusing.

It now matches the plugin dropdown list colors that can't be changed. Are there any 32 bit VST3's? There is an icon. I made it red justincase.

496520107_Plug-inTreeIcons.png.e52c459af2305931186e8cce59d78874.png

Edited by sjoens

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Got another addition/addendum. It's been a while, which is a testament to just how accurate and comprehensive TYLIP has become.

This time it's an "Also used in."

ProChannel / Modules / QuadCurve EQ fly-out / Close Zoom Window is also the Close button in Add Track Flyout and the Set Properties dialog you get when you right click on a plug-in's name in Browser to edit its category.

image.png.d085fdff04bd62f34d6cf388789f5086.png

image.png.7b03a63215fe1601019bf9330ee5d50e.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

ProChannel / Modules / QuadCurve EQ fly-out / Close Zoom Window is also the Close button in Add Track Flyout

Thanks, Erik. I'll include this in the next update which is basically ready to go but I'm waiting to see if the (apparently imminent) 2023.?? update has any UI changes it in before finalizing.

• Great Idea 1

I've uploaded the (possibly) final version of the document, updated for 2023.09 and including recent contributions from folks since the previous update.

Thanks folks, it's been fun.

I'm looking forward to the theming possibilities in the new Sonar. Hopefully, it won't require anything like as comprehensive as the YLIP.

• Thanks 3

Thanks for a great addition to CbB.

Today I stumbled on several small color changes with 2022.11, so 2023.09 may have even more.  Some of them make no sense or there's no reason for them to have happened and most are probably too small to worry about since CbB is now fully baked.

Edited by sjoens

On 9/25/2023 at 8:24 AM, User 905133 said:

Thanks for undertaking this project, for all the amazing work you did, for incorporating all the contributions of others along the way, and for maintaining it so faithfully and diligently over the years.  It was a privilege to be able to add a few small things along the way.  

This.

After I first jumped in, I spent at least as many hours with Theme Editor as I did with Cakewalk, all of it just as enjoyable. And fine with me, I suspect there are more people who checked out and enjoyed the themes I made than who did the same for my music (it helps that the themes actually got released).

My compulsive desire to theme every possible element got me to delve into features I had otherwise ignored or been unaware of.

None of that would have been possible without TYLIP, as well as the inspiration @Colin Nicholls provided with his Steampunk theme. What a revelation! Themes can also reference pop culture!

I hope that there are enough themeable elements in Sonar that we get to have our fun again. Although I doubt I'll ever have a theme I like using as much as I do Green Flat Dark and Blue Flat Dark. Here's hoping that the features of the new UI make up for that.

• Like 2