Young Lady's Illustrated Primer to Theming Cakewalk

Colin Nicholls

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Errata:

Track View/Disabled Control Text is not used for the data readouts in the Video Thumbnails header. It seems to only be used in the Track Folder description box, to show zeroes when there's no track of that type in the folder

Track View/Control Text and Values is what is used for the data readouts in the Video Thumbnails header.

I tried to reproduce this and failed.  Here's what I see:

Track View / Disabled Control Text:

• Video Thumbnail Track Control Values
  • Track Folder Statistics "0" values (!?!)

Track View / Control Text and Values:

• Track Folder Description Text
  • Track Take Lane Description Text

Track View / Clips Pane / Track View Clips Pane Background:

• Video Thumbnail track background (no video loaded) (Yup, I'll update the YLIP with this, thanks)
  • Track View Clip Pane background (empty space below tracks)

So, you're either wrong, or Cakewalk is having fun with us. Could be either.

Edited by Colin Nicholls

You are both right! This is one of those -very odd- chameleon artifacts of Sonar/CbB's innerworkings I discovered with Duckbar. Yes, there are others. 

Some instances include 2 sets of colors for one attribute. 

My current theme:

TV Unfocused Track Text = green*

TV Audio Track Text = white**

TV Disabled Control Text = red*

TV Control Text & Values = black**

video-track-colors.gif.76f8670c272c57dad374801c384dddc9.gif

*1 = when I 1st open project with preloaded theme (IN & OUT line turns green when a video is loaded)

**2 = When I reselect the same theme in Preferences with no other changes (IN & OUT line stays black when a video is loaded)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sjoens said:

You are both right! This is one of those -very odd- chameleon artifacts of Sonar/CbB's innerworkings I discovered with Duckbar. Yes, there are others.

Reminds me of the whole "Folder description background" anomaly. So, yeah, I agree that there are items that take their color from different sources depending on ... something... switching themes mid-session vs loading at start-up, etc.

They are probably really low-priority bugs that never reproduce when you want them to. I guess we should document these anomalies as we find them.

Oversight? Undersight? Intended behavior? Another caveat of Skylight not designed to be themed. 

Mercury doesn't expose these anomalies because it uses the same colors for both instances.

The Folder BG issue existed from the beginning with X1.

Edited by sjoens

Wow. we are doing some serious spelunking here. Actually, it just comes from "auditing" my themes. Since I theme as a means of taking a break from stuck projects, and after 3 1/2 years I'm still exploring features in the venerable beast, sometimes I'll open up views I never use in order to see if I missed anything.

Hence the Video Thumbnails findings. I haven't used this feature in battle yet, so let it slide as long as the colors came out some shade of either green or blue, depending on the theme.

28 minutes ago, sjoens said:

*1 = when I 1st open project with preloaded theme (IN & OUT line turns green when a video is loaded)

**2 = When I reselect the same theme in Preferences with no other changes (IN & OUT line stays black when a video is loaded)

I can't even get my head around that yet. But it seems like the obvious solution is just to make all of those color values the same, like Mercury does. I like a unified look to my themes anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found another chameleon affected by the same routine above:

Loop Construction - Threshold Slider & Value text.

When Loop view is disabled or 1st opened: Track View | Disabled Control Text

When Loop view is active (click LOOP button): Track View | Unfocused Track Text

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Errata:

p. 89 "Step Sequencer / Step Button (Off)" and "Step Sequencer / Step Button (On)"

Describing colors, they should both be Step Button Bar (Off) and Step Button Bar (On).

They're used to display those "hexagrams" that appear atop active step buttons.

Step Sequencer / Step Button is a a 12-cell image. All cells are used in the Sequencer, BTW.

6 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

"hexagrams" ? Image please? Or check the latest version of YLIP to see if what I put there is sufficient.

It was late and I couldn't think of a better term for 6 horizontal lines. I throw the I Ching from time to time. Double hamburgers?

You got it just right (as usual), except the term I should have used for that was "highlighted." Anyway, I'm sure that anyone who wants to delve into it now has everything they need.

I am so curious to find out if anyone other than me actually does anything with Step Sequencer, as it seems that the .STH Lords as a group maybe don't spend much time working in that view? I've been going through the views I use less to see whether there's something I can add to my workflow, and that's when I get more interested in making them more attractive. Anyone up for round cells in Step Sequencer? 😄 The hexagrams might be an issue there.

• Haha 1

I looked earlier today and saw the "interior lines" but didn't connect that with "hexagram."  But then again, I was long familiar with the 3 lines that I discovered years later some people were calling a hamburger.  To me it looks more like lines, but at least now I know what some people mean when they say "click on [or tap] the hamburger."  I kinda like "I Ching" lines. Ch- ch- ch- CHANGES! (Plus it reminds me of my college GF of several years and her friends who introduced me to the I Ching.)  Doesn't look like "double hamburgers" or even a Whopper(r). Anyhow, kudos for figuring out all those cells!

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 3:16 PM, Starship Krupa said:

I can't even get my head around that yet. But it seems like the obvious solution is just to make all of those color values the same, like Mercury does. I like a unified look to my themes anyway.

Except in this theme I needed the TV Disabled Control TextTV Control Text & Values to be different colors, thus the conundrum.

To accommodate I had to lighten the Video background enough to see the text. No biggy for me as I never use the video track.

10 hours ago, sjoens said:

Just too bad all graphics have to be PNG or BMP. Would be cool to throw in an animated GIF or 2.

Well, if suggestions for changes  are in order, how about the ability to code the "interior lines" with I Ching patterns--different button interior patterns do different things!!!  64 different states per button!!!!!  User definable states! 😉  

Edited by User 905133
to add "user definable states"
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...