Young Lady's Illustrated Primer to Theming Cakewalk

Colin Nicholls

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I didn't realize the logo images hadn't been documented in Colin's Guide.  Great that you noticed that omission!

One could have a bit of fun with that if one were of a mischievous nature. As anyone who's opened the About box on EVA 01 knows, it's a good place to put Easter Eggs. I've started "signing" my custom themes in the About box.

• Great Idea 1

Interesting find:

The Theme Editor image ProChannel | Preset Background, as seen in YLIP page  74 and listed on page 75 is not fully changeable.

Only the black screen area (arrow), used for both Inspector and Console View, is editable.

A91lk0bsw_1bjbquf_gp0.png.f86c3a116a9400e40d78e93bdd1b6510.png

The gray area color is changed with Console View | Unfocused Strip Background.

• Thanks 1

Turns out that Browser/Media Tab (no corner) and Media Tab (narrow no corner) are actually used.

They are for when the Browser is docked at left and not responsible for creating a nice chamfer on the upper left corner of the pane. When docked at left, he tab is buried next to the float, dock options, and collapse buttons:

image.png.9d514ad571d0dd5432ebe3d227abd71b.png

Why is it that purple-y themes are so good for noticing this stuff? I wonder if we could have gotten Prince to try Cakewalk by showing him a purplecentric theme. I suspect that  EVA 01 is the only one that is intended for actual use.

• Thanks 1

A note about transparency
PNGs have an "alpha" or transparency channel making it easy to create transparent graphics. BMPs do not.
To make a BMP display a transparent area, a color, usually magenta, black, or white, must be chosen and assigned to be transparent.
As a result, not all BMPs can be transparent.

• Like 1

pg 97: 193540775_synthrackbezel.thumb.JPG.49d2035d3ae39d10c934aa342d176f6d.JPG

Actually it is still used but hidden behind the black & blue overlays added with update 2020.08.

When docked they cover the entire screen since no preset data is shown.

Frustratingly, the focused overlay (blue) is tied to Focused Track Background so it follows Track View colors but the unfocused overlay (black) is not tied to Unfocused Track Background making it unchangeable.

pre overlay:

1140811593_synthrackbezel.2.png.097332bb6271feb983d964ce00c7ed1c.png

post overlay:

790275026_synthrackbezel.3.png.61c17eab63c3813af3b601d9438a8c39.png

Edited by sjoens

"No longer used" caught me as it is still used, just out of sight under the added overlay. 

The images above show the graphic "undocked". The "docked" image would only be seen if you squared up it's corners, which would then be visible from behind the overlay's rounded corners. 

Semantics, I guess. Change only if you wish to.

Edited by sjoens
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Errata:

Track View/Disabled Control Text is not used for the data readouts in the Video Thumbnails header. It seems to only be used in the Track Folder description box, to show zeroes when there's no track of that type in the folder

Track View/Control Text and Values is what is used for the data readouts in the Video Thumbnails header.

• Thanks 1