Young Lady's Illustrated Primer to Theming Cakewalk

Colin Nicholls

4 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I see an under-stated note about Plug-in menu enhancements

Understated indeed. They finally dumped the XP-era code for the fly-out plug-in menus. No matter how many folders and plug-ins one has, the menus fit on the screen without the need for scrolling.

Re: recent EA Release: I noticed a difference when I used the right click track context menu to start the Insert wizard.  Will take a while to get used to columns I like the readable letters over the previous images, but I am worried that the dark grey on light grey (at least in my Mercury based theme) for VST2 is foreshadowing they greying out of VST2s.  I know some people hate VST2s and don't even bother to install them any more, but I'd be very sad if CbB gets rid of them entirely.  😞

Maybe they can be changed in the theme editor? UPDATE: YES!!!! [See 5th post below this one.]

image.thumb.png.f535ebe16acc51c1ac64b19a69ca8083.png

Edited by User 905133
(3) some customizations no longer seem to work any more; (2) to update based on additional research; (1) to add an image and reword the post to clarify that this references a recent EA Release

On 4/16/2021 at 4:46 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Understated indeed. They finally dumped the XP-era code for the fly-out plug-in menus. No matter how many folders and plug-ins one has, the menus fit on the screen without the need for scrolling.

I didn't check today--are these changes listed in the list of changes (you know, the ones when we click on the link in the new incompatible theme warning box)?  I only checked on that yesterday and don't remember seeing the change; but maybe the changes are just additions, resizings, etc. not this type of change.

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to the list of changes

On 4/17/2021 at 2:52 PM, User 905133 said:

Maybe they can be changed in the theme editor?

Maybe they will be changeable when the EA is released along with an updated theme editor?

image.thumb.png.2adeca8962a303fab092c51a2afbd759.png

Or maybe we are seeing place holders pending additional changes that are forthcoming?  I seem too recall that sometimes there have been changes planned for the official that were not included the EA release. 

In any case this is probably relatively trivial for the UX of most users.

Edited by User 905133
some customizations that previously worked no longer work

NOTE: I was not planning to bring the issue up in the EA thread thinking it was too trivial, but then I saw others commenting on visibility issues.  So I brought it up here.

I made a mistake a year or so ago not bringing up how (at the time), the Basic Workspace forced a specific theme only to learn later on that it was an error in the release (fixed shortly thereafter) and I should have mentioned it when I stumbled onto it.  

I assume @Colin Nicholls will be interested in the answers as they might necessitate changes to his still amazingly awesome and much appreciated guide.

• Thanks 1

Possibly only theme-breaking changes are listed, and when an image is no longer used (as in the add synth/plugin lists) and is obsolete, it probably isn't worth high-lighting.

I like the new look of these selector lists and I hope they stay this way, and are not placeholders.

• Like 1

NOTE: Customizations that used to work seem to no longer work. So it is unclear if these kinds of customizations will work in the future.

So far:

image.png.4f15cafcca77b26e273cad0ebf03e92d.png

Addendum: As Colin notes in the Theme Guide, sometimes changes don't occur until a Cakewalk reboot. Today, I got this with the same theme elements as above:

image.thumb.png.4744f6f2ebaac65fb68b45ca60babff4.png

In case it doesn't stand out, today the VST3 / Plug-in Tree text color/colour (Green) now shows up in the Plug-in Browser.  (No change in the new and improved soft synth list. Also, not sure where the "DX" color/colour is coming from.) 

Edited by User 905133
(2) to fix a couple of typos; (1) to add additional info

On 4/17/2021 at 5:21 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

I like the new look of these selector lists and I hope they stay this way, and are not placeholders.

I like them too, mostly because they all fit on the screen at one time and they're easier to read. The thing of listing the type (VST2, VST3, DX) would be good to have everywhere, not just on the last 5 plug-ins I've used.

Showing me the type of plug-in it is only after I've used it seems kinda....backward.

58 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

The thing of listing the type (VST2, VST3, DX) would be good to have everywhere, not just on the last 5 plug-ins I've used.

Maybe I don't understand this, to me the type is shown, though you do have to expand the folders/categories to see them (at least with the manufacturers).  

The work-in-progress continues to, um progress.

Updated 2021.04.27

Refactored the introductory chapter to include a section on Preferences > Color Customization and how they interact with customized Theme elements. This is preparatory work so that we can start including references to un-themeable UI elements that are customized only through color preferences.

• Like 1

Curious what they'll do when the Inspector Header is no longer big enough to add icons for all the stuff they keep adding to it. 🤔

Maybe it's time for a 3rd collapsible view.

p17: According to the PURPLETRATOR test, "Export" will always be written in White. So we are constrained somewhat in our design choices. Also, even though there are 5 slides in the element, only the first one is used. The button does not change when clicked, only the menu appears.

There's a few like this. Not sure why they don't carry thru on some of these buttons. They did fix one a while back after I mentioned it's spring had sprung. :D

I think any new function should also be color customizable now that it's a thing.

Edited by sjoens

8 hours ago, sjoens said:

Curious what they'll do when the Inspector Header is no longer big enough to add icons for all the stuff they keep adding to it. 🤔

[..]

I think any new function should also be color customizable now that it's a thing.

I'm experimenting with this look for Mil-Spec Alpha R3:

image.png.2b9fefa13603b25ffc4a190c3dedd54e.png

As for color customizing, you can tell from the latest new features that the Bakers are doing their best to deliver functionality without impacting theme designers or requiring supplemental work on supporting theming, and I can't say that I blame them. It's a fine line and I applaud it, so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 9:25 AM, Colin Nicholls said:

Thanks, guys.

The title is a riff on Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer" which is a pretty cool SF book; recommended.

It seemed to be a good time to prepare the document, as it is clear that the Theme Editor is pretty stable in the development cycle. The bugs and inconsistencies aren't going to be worth the time the skeleton dev group would need to spend, so documenting seems reasonable.

I'm not expecting anyone to go through this line by line looking for errors; and there's definitely more useful stuff that could be added. All suggestions welcome! If you have any theme-ing tips or tricks that you know of, let me know and I'll add them in.

I'd like to make this a community effort and of course I'll adjust the credits to suit.

Just found this gold mine of information and want to add my kudos and thanks. This doc is incredible! Wow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...