Young Lady's Illustrated Primer to Theming Cakewalk

Colin Nicholls

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your efforts in helping others customize their user experience. I've been wondering about improving the look of the drum map that comes up in the multidock (main color on the left side, where the names are displayed). Any ideas where that color tweak might be found. Also any chance of also tweaking the fonts (color & size) Again, many thanks. I just recently got back into this DAW and am enjoying it now as much as any I've used, and more productive as well.

Thanks again,

DanRB

3 hours ago, Daniel Boyce said:

I've been wondering about improving the look of the drum map that comes up in the multidock (main color on the left side, where the names are displayed). Any ideas where that color tweak might be found.

@Daniel Boyce, I believe that these colors (drum map note names) can not be changed via themes. I definitely searched for them but was unable to find them. There are a few places where we just don't have that option, and I think this is one of them.

You're right. That feature I was unaware of as I don't use drum maps. I was thinking more of the drum names displayed in lieu of the black & white keys - shown in pink in your screenshot.

On a side note, I just searched Sonar X3 for the drum map background color with Duckbar and found it (96979c). Too bad Duckbar doesn't work with CbB (yet?).

Edited by sjoens

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

an error in the 0.9.6 YLG: at the end of p. 74 you offer MarianoGF's "Boston Flowers" as an example of of putting thought into how clips are colored in a theme, but the screenshot to illustrate it is missing.

Huh. You are correct, @Starship Krupa. I checked the .PDF on my local drive and it shows the image fine, it is also v.0.9.6. So that is strange.

Rather than replace it with the same version number, given that the contents would have changed, I've just regenerated the PDF from my current 0.9.7 source document and re-uploaded it. The link on the first post should reflect the new version. I double-checked that the missing image is now visible.

Any other changes I made since 0.9.6 are minor (but include an updated image for PRV "Grid Label Background", I know that!). 
I'll update my source document to 0.9.8 for future revisions.

Thanks, and regards to you and Sister Gluebird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not able to reproduce this, @sjoens.

• Select Track View > Options > Meter Options > Record/Playback/Bus meters are visible [x];
  • Select Track View > Options > Meter Options > [x] Horizontal Meters;
  • Select Preferences > Customization > Audio meter > Segmented Meters [x] Track View [x] Console View (I also tried the non-segmented option)

I have colored the Horizontal Audio Meters Scale background item as bright pink,  and saved the theme changes. I am not seeing any changes in the UI.  Same for Vertical Audio Meter Scale background.

Interestingly, I don't see a numbered scale in these areas. Is there another option somewhere to make the scale visible, and that's why I'm not seeing it?

Works here in both CbB/Theme Editor and Sonar/Theme Editor. Can't say why it's not working on your end.

They only work on audio/instrument tracks with "segmented" meters. Not on MIDI tracks. Not on non-segmented meters.

The number scale is colored in TE by Theme - Meters - Segmented meters - VU Tick Marks (Segmented).

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

I've always wanted to make a book like yours but don't have the time. You've undertaken a huge task so community help helps us all.

Hard part is knowing what not to include as Cakewalk & TE both include abandoned graphics from pre X series. 

Edited by sjoens

Okay I just uploaded v.2020.09.18 of the massively refactored Y.L.I.P.

This one is in three sections:

• Section A - Documented Elements by Feature (basically follows the View menu and Manual order)
  • Section B - Case Studies (the one you know and love)
  • Section C - Full List of Elements by Theme Editor Hierarchy (with cross-reference to documentation in Section A)

Also many additional items have been added, including the recent changes to the Synth Rack. I think we might have covered all the hard-to-reach fruit at this point, leaving only the obvious stuff. Let me know if you feel there is something important remaining to be documented.

The (revised) URL is in the first post on this thread.

Oh, I forgot to add - my primary goal with this re-factoring was to make it very clear which Theme elements affected multiple parts of the application UI. The cross-reference includes a links against each element that is covered in different parts of Section A.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3