Young Lady's Illustrated Primer to Theming Cakewalk

Colin Nicholls

pg8. Global / Frame Rounded Corner Bottom Left & Right are no longer used. They were the lower corners of TV's frame in X1 when more graphics were used.

Since then several colors & graphics were abandoned in favor of using internal elements to draw the GUI. Most all the gray CV Module backgrounds are obsolete yet are still included in the TTSImage file & TE.

• Thanks 1

I think I found an addition:

Console View/Strip Label Text (as referred to on p. 49 of my copy of the YLIP) is the color for the digits used to display peaks (the Console View's counterpart to the Track View's Header Peak Text).

Like Header Peak Text, it won't reveal itself unless you change its value and then run the transport a bit.

13 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think I found an addition:

Console View/Strip Label Text (as referred to on p. 49 of my copy of the YLIP) is the color for the digits used to display peaks (the Console View's counterpart to the Track View's Header Peak Text).

Like Header Peak Text, it won't reveal itself unless you change its value and then run the transport a bit.

Confirmed. GOOD CATCH. Document updated and uploaded.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to suggest some additions:

On p. 51, for Console view / Modules / Sends/Patch / Open Insert Send Menu, Console view / Modules / Sends/Patch / Scroll Sends Down, and Console view / Modules / Sends/Patch / Scroll Sends Up, there are no hot pink highlights in the image. I'd like to see that added.

Also, these images seem to be used for the similar functions in the Console FX Bin, and if that's the case, a cross-reference to indicate it would be nice.

23 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'd like to suggest some additions:

On p. 51, for Console view / Modules / Sends/Patch / Open Insert Send Menu, Console view / Modules / Sends/Patch / Scroll Sends Down, and Console view / Modules / Sends/Patch / Scroll Sends Up, there are no hot pink highlights in the image. I'd like to see that added.

Also, these images seem to be used for the similar functions in the Console FX Bin, and if that's the case, a cross-reference to indicate it would be nice.

Huh. Definitely worth documenting.

My research indicates that Open Insert Send Menu is used in Track View FX Bin, Console FX Bin, and Console Add Send.

Scroll Sends Down and Scroll Sends Up are only used in Track View FX Bin as far as I can tell - the Console view increases the size of the Send/FX bins as they are added, to avoid the scrolling list.

• Like 1

pg 82. The un-selected Track Name background color appears to be 2C2C2C and does not have a corresponding Theme element.

#ToDo: Confirm this. It's NOT Track View > Unfocused Track Background! c.f. Synth Rack un-selected name background color.

But it should be, as everything else in PRV follows Track View. 

pg 88. As of version 2020.08, the docked Synth Rack does not use Synth Name Bezel theme element for displaying the synth name.

Same issue as PRV. Currently no way to change either background. 

The Docked version is now half graphic & half color mask overlay making it look bad all the way around.

I'd like to see 2 graphics - one Selected & one Un-Selected used in all views - and 1 color for the preset text.

@sjoens, thanks for your comments. I've made some minor changes to the PRV entries (now on page 75,76?) and updated the graphic because when I re-tested this, it looked a little different from my previous screen-clip. (new version 2020.12.13 uploaded)

>> Re: Synth Rack View
>> I'd like to see 2 graphics - one Selected & one Un-Selected used in all views - and 1 color for the preset text.

I'm not sure what you're asking for, that isn't already in the document. Can you give me a visual example?

Sorry, comment wasn't for you but for how I'd like to see them format the synth rack & all other track views over how it currently is. The Synth Rack has been changed several times & the current format is the most challenging to modify.

Edited by sjoens

Hi @Colin Nicholls and thanks for this incredible guide.

Just one question that I couldn't find. In tungsteen theme there are a some special details which are not in Mercury theme. One of them is the console gain an pan indicative color (I paste the example in "young lady's" purple).

Do you know if is it possible to change their color? Thanks::.

1N2X7H8.jpg

Edited by MarianoGF

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding p. 44 of TYLIP, it describes the Plug-In Tree Icons image (which I gratefully swiped from you for Racing Green). It also halfway down the page states "These are also used for icons in the 'Add Track' instrument selection drop-down menu."

I can't find that, or maybe I just don't understand it. Colin, can you clarify?

• 2 weeks later...

In the interests of helping to keep TYLIP up with the most current developments, I wish to inform the author that as of 2021.04, the Arranger Inspector's background now follows Background #1.

This caused me a bit of consternation with Racing Green, as the color I was using for Background #1 looked a tad gaudy when applied to such a large expanse. I had to tone it down. Most STH lords and ladies don't go as far as I do with Background #1, so it likely won't be an issue for most themes.

Another suggestion I have for future editions of TYLIP is a mention of the Theme Editor Toolkit folder found in Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Themes. Within this folder the intrepid theme creator can find 20 different complete sets of Console faders (I use 02 in my custom theme, and also recommend taking a look at 07 if one would like a change from the standard faders). There are also 39 sets of Console and Track meters in a variety of colors including green, white, purple, yellow, orange, and blue. All of them of course fit with no alteration needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1