mastering

LNovik@aol.com

I was searching on ideas for mastering, and came across something about LANDR. They say I can access it when I attempt to export my currrent project. I have hit the export menu item, but don't see such a choice. DO I have to download it first. The article seemed to say it was already there, but perhaps that was in Platinum.

LNovik

While it would be a dream come true to just press a button and out comes a perfect master everytime, it now at best is a hit and miss debacle!

Nothing, IMO, will take the place of a good old analog human being using the oldest tool known to man, his ears!!!!

Mastering audio tracks has wrongly been enshrouded with a mystique that scares people to death!!!

There are tons of online tutorial programs and YouTube is overflowing with tips and tricks to get you started.

When it comes down to it, there's only 5 things that you need.

1- Know the sound of the room you work in. Play your favorite songs over and over to train your hearing in that space.

2- Choose reference tracks that are along the same lines as your project sonically.

3- A thorough understanding of EQ. Especially the one you are using!!

4- A thorough understanding of Compression!

5- And last but not least, a good limiter!!!

Not to over simplify things, these tools are really the core of any world class mastering engineer to the little guy sitting in his bedroom studio banging out songs.

I won't go into the process because I already mentioned material above. Try several different ways and find a workflow that works for you.

The results will be far better and more consistent than any automated service can deliver once you learn the ropes!!!

Just my opinion!!

• Like 3

On 12/15/2019 at 12:54 PM, David Baay said:

FWIW, I tried LANDR a couple of times, but generally did not like it better than my own best effort. Its primary value might be in providing an alternate perspective  - e.g.  "Hmmm... maybe I should bring the mid-bass up a bit".

Exactly... Take the lander output and study it for ideas. I've done this.

I don't still do it.

Edited by Gswitz

Thanks. That seems to agree with my experience. The LANDR version seemed to be a little brighter. HOwever, since it's just a music video I'm doing for friends and family, most people tend to listen on their mobile phone. That already is heavy on the highs, with little bass. I figure I don't need anything brighter.

LNovik

• Like 1

For anyone curious or not in the  know, Emastered seems to be noticeably better than LANDR, from the [quite a few] reviews I've seen on both.  LANDR is no longer the only game in town.

Having said that, I'd have to agree that these online mastering services are still very hit or miss...especially with non-pop genres.

As for me...most of what I do is death metal and hard rock, so I'm gonna stick to real mastering for a while yet.  Lol.

Edited by AxlBrutality
  • Like 1