Import Music .XML file Conversion to midi

Starise

So I'm working on a project that is being exchanged in xml format viewed as notation. What I would like to do is import the xml files as individual midi tracks.

Otherwise I would need to put each note from each part from the notation into piano roll view one note at a time, or play it in and make corrections if necessary.

Would be less time consuming if I could simply import xml and convert to midi in Cakewalk since there are lots of parts, match the parts up to instruments and build on that mix. 

Any advice on the best way to go about this? Thanks.

I dug a little deeper.Unless there was a programming change in Cakewalk since the Sonar days. I don't believe Cakewalk can do this directly.

Musescore  is a free 300mb download. It will export XML  to midi. Looks like a viable option.

XML looks to be mostly a generic notation exchange solution. I don't think it is high on the priority list for many unless you make  notation.

Edited by Starise

MuseScore is really the best option for converting the MusicXML files.  I have a one line batch file that uses it's command line options to do it.  You can then set that batch file up as a Send To target so you can actually right click files and send to the batch file and have it convert right there in the explorer.

"C:\Program Files\MuseScore 3\bin\MuseScore3.exe" "%~1" -o "%~d1%~p1%~n1.mid"

Change the path to where your copy of MuseScore is and save it as a batch file, MusicXMLtoMID.bat somewhere on your computer, then select the .bat file and do a right click and create shortcut.  Rename the short cut to just MusicXMLtoMID.lnk  then right click and cut it.

Then in the explorer type "shell:sendto"  (no quotes) This takes you to your Send To menu directory, then paste the shortcut in.

Now when you right click on an MusicXML file go to the Send To menu and pick MusicXMLtoMID and it will run the batch file on your xml file and produce a .mid file in the same location.

There may be other better ways to do this now.  I came up with this many years ago to solve problems with Guitar Pro's MIDI save feature not doing slurs correctly (but it's MusicXML was correct and could be converted).

Here's some help on doing the send to thing:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/customize-the-windows-vista-send-to-menu/

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1