Presonus VU Meter FREE

cclarry

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Now available as VST, AU, and AAX and FREE

https://shop.presonus.com/VU-Meter

Presonus have announced that they are making some of their previously Studio One-only
premium plugins like the new Ampire from Studio One 4.6 and the Fat channel plugins available
as VST, AU and AAX.

Thanks Larry. 

Nice also that you can now access the shop from within Studio One Pro 4.6...

S146Shop.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Would we have to pay for the Fat Channel plugins outside of S1?

https://shop.presonus.com/Fat-Channel-Collection-Vol-1-Plug-ins

Seems no... Scroll down that page, the FREE versions are also VST3 host application compatible.

Edit - Ironically, I just added all of the FREE ones to the cart, but already had all but the https://shop.presonus.com/Fat-Channel-Plug-in-Bundles-PreSonus-Bundle

The individual ones it said I already have; but after checkout, it has those 4 individually for download.

Edited by mettelus
  • Thanks 1

They've also introduced the Presonus Hub, an installation program, which you
have to use to install the VST3, AU, and AAX plugins

Go to your account, find one of the plugins, expand for download, and you'll
see a "Redeem and download Presonus Hub" under the plugin.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

They've also introduced the Presonus Hub, an installation program, which you
have to use to install the VST3, AU, and AAX plugins

Go to your account, find one of the plugins, expand for download, and you'll
see a "Redeem and download Presonus Hub" under the plugin.

Requires Windows 10.

3 hours ago, antler said:

Do you mean the meter ballistics are off, or that the readouts are just wrong? Are there any good (preferably free) ones that you would recommend?

I would say both , basically just calibrating my session to standard -18 dbfs , compared to psp and kanglhem and it was so off , i had to switch reference in the presonus and even like that .... never understood why nobody complaint in the forum ...i came tôhe conclusion that :

1) nobody cares ?

2) people don t use ?

3) Hobbyist mainly ?

4) ?

• Haha 1

So I just tested out the Presonus VU meter and I have to agree with Zo, not good at all.  I typically use VUMT Deluxe, super awesome.  It's behavior is as expected, a 300ms average volume.  The Presonus VU isn't really acting like a VU.  Instead it behaves more like PPM.  Even with the sensitivity all the way down, it's not reacting to an average volume, just reacting slowly to peaks instead.  Not usable simply because it's behavior is not predictable.

[EDIT]  Ok, no joke, I think the Presonus gods were reading this thread.  I reopened Cakewalk and I was going to remove it from my plugin list and it came up missing!!!  I then uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, and it will not show up.  Oh well, no real loss.

Edited by LittleStudios
Update
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LittleStudios said:

So I just tested out the Presonus VU meter and I have to agree with Zo, not good at all.  I typically use VUMT Deluxe, super awesome.  It's behavior is as expected, a 300ms average volume.  The Presonus VU isn't really acting like a VU.  Instead it behaves more like PPM.  Even with the sensitivity all the way down, it's not reacting to an average volume, just reacting slowly to peaks instead.  Not usable simply because it's behavior is not predictable.

[EDIT]  Ok, no joke, I think the Presonus gods were reading this thread.  I reopened Cakewalk and I was going to remove it from my plugin list and it came up missing!!!  I then uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, and it will not show up.  Oh well, no real loss.

I don t think it was supposed to be seen and used in other daws , right ? At least it was like that when i got it back then .... 

2 hours ago, mibby said:

What I do like about it in Studio One is that it has the "mini" version where you can expand it on the channel inserts section and get an idea of your levels anywhere you insert the plugin.

This is how I use it and, to me, it's pretty great.  I use it for gain-staging plugins in Studio One. As mibby said there is a mini version that you can have open on every channel, which is great. I've never really considered the accuracy. I figure since I'm only comparing the VU to other versions of the same plugin it shouldn't matter. Any one wanna explain why it might?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

This is how I use it and, to me, it's pretty great.  I use it for gain-staging plugins in Studio One. As mibby said there is a mini version that you can have open on every channel, which is great. I've never really considered the accuracy. I figure since I'm only comparing the VU to other versions of the same plugin it shouldn't matter. Any one wanna explain why it might?

Because it diesnt behave like a real vu and doesn t show the reality .

your gain stage will not be Ebu standard .... is that an issue  ? 

1) if you use external hardware : yes

2) if you alwayz use their vu and stick with , at least you ll have a reference , witch woll make your monitoring consistent witch is what a lot of people undersestimate the impact of .

3) using emulations plugins might not be optimale 

4) headroom and deepness in mixes a production ( will do a video on that ) 

My real concern is how this was validated by professionnals at presonus ?  Never wanted to make waves about it , but like you guyz pointed out the mini view integration is exellent and i would lved to see it accurate .

• Thanks 1

I use this on every channel.  Like Piotr said, it gives me a frame of reference across the project that is consistent...but perhaps consistently inaccurate!  There's a video I followed to calibrate the initial channel for gain staging and ensuring there is headroom left for each channel.  I think it was in Groove3.  From there, I just drag that little thing over to each channel and, voila!, done.  Man, I hope I used that voila! correctly, Zo.

I'll keep using it for directional purposes, but to your point, Zo, it would be great if they could look at this.

1 hour ago, Marc Cormier said:

I use this on every channel.  Like Piotr said, it gives me a frame of reference across the project that is consistent...but perhaps consistently inaccurate!  There's a video I followed to calibrate the initial channel for gain staging and ensuring there is headroom left for each channel.  I think it was in Groove3.  From there, I just drag that little thing over to each channel and, voila!, done.  Man, I hope I used that voila! correctly, Zo.

I'll keep using it for directional purposes, but to your point, Zo, it would be great if they could look at this.

Groove 3 is a solid source so , i'ain't bothered bout that .... if you know the delta bertween a real VU andf this one , someone could just "ctrl +A" and adjust all channels input gain to stick with something accurate /....then 

3 hours ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

Does anybody know where the vst3 is installed? Can't find it, only a Presonus VST3 Shell which does nothing and is not recognized by CbB.

Bassman.

Was dealing with that last night.  They said the installer app was supposed to install vsts but no joy for me either.