Can anyone recommend a good free/cheap "doubler" that would work for guitar?

yeto

There is 'Acon Digital Multiply' and 'Duet' of Martin Eastwood (32-bit only), both free. But I think you can also use any vocal doubler like iZotope's Vocal Doubler (free). The 3rd possibility is to create 2 tracks with your guitar clip and change it in any way (different pan/delay/eq/compression/...).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marled said:

There is 'Acon Digital Multiply' and 'Duet' of Martin Eastwood (32-bit only), both free. But I think you can also use any vocal doubler like iZotope's Vocal Doubler (free). The 3rd possibility is to create 2 tracks with your guitar clip and change it in any way (different pan/delay/eq/compression/...).

Thank you. 

I tried all three and I like Acon Digital Multiply for guitar. 

Again, thank you for taking time to post. This really helps.

yeto

• Like 1

Mono instruments are ones that can only play one note at a time. Example, a sax, a flute, a trumpet, a singer, a trombone, a French horn.

Any track that has single notes as opposed to chords.

For instance, if you recorded background vox of three singers singing in harmony in to one mic to one track, you couldn't use the Izotope doubler because it doesn't understand the difference of the cluster of notes. BUT, if the singers recorded their harmony parts on separate tracks and the mics were fairly well isolated or the vox were recorded one part at a time, the Izotope will work like a charm because it can only understand one note at a time.

Hope that helped!

Edited by Sidney Earl Goodroe

4 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Mono instruments are ones that can only play one note at a time. Example, a sax, a flute, a trumpet, a singer, a trombone, a French horn.

Any track that has single notes as opposed to chords.

For instance, if you recorded background vox of three singers singing in harmony in to one mic to one track, you couldn't use the Izotope doubler because it doesn't understand the difference of the cluster of notes. BUT, if the singers recorded their harmony parts on separate tracks and the mics were fairly well isolated or the vox were recorded one part at a time, the Izotope will work like a charm because it can only understand one note at a time.

Hope that helped!

Yes, that does help. I now understand.

Thank you,
yeto

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

The VX-64 vocal strip has a doubler built in. It's primarily designed for vocals, but it might work ok on guitars.

By default VX-64 is disabled, but you can easily enable it:

Experimenting with this now. Thanks for sharing.

yeto

The initial tendency is to look outside the bundle for solutions, especially when it comes to the oft-overlooked Sonitus fx collection. I have this tendency myself.

However, Sonitus Modulator has a subcategory of factory presets called "Ensemble" that might have what you're looking for, or at least use as a starting point.

Their UI's are really dated and tiny, but I did a little digging and the Sonitus fx suite was highly regarded back in the day. The company that supplied them were (and are) some next-level signal processing eggheads.

Their only real limitation is that they are DX and so are limited as to which hosts they will run in. For me, that's Cakewalk and Vegas. So they don't make good "go-to" FX for me. Certainly no worse than using the ProChannel modules that can't be used in other programs at all.