We the Living

David Sprouse

*We the Living* is a book by none other than Ayn Rand.  I started writing a musical with that book in mind and this is the first song, we the living.  Years ago, I sequenced this in sonar 7. :D:D

1st version:   https://davidsprouse.bandcamp.com/track/we-the-living     

2nd version:   https://davidsprouse.bandcamp.com/track/we-the-living-2

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 2

Spak, thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy day to listen to my music.  I had ambitions to finish this with someone.  That never materialized so it sits in limbo.  I'm at the mercy of lyricists and book writers so gotta find someone like that.  I have probably half the songs though. 

Second tune I've listened to by you and I love it that you're not pedestrian and are exploring creative paths. It sounds like beginnings of a theatrical score with a touch of Zappa phrasing here and there.

Thanks for sharing...

Edited by congalocke

On 12/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, amiller said:

I can’t quite grasp as a musical.  For me, it sounds like it could easily be a soundtrack for a very serious movie.  Nonetheless, well done.😊👍

amiller:  movies make money and musicals lose money (often) so good advice there.!  I just like live drama.  I prefer live music as well.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:25 PM, Lynn said:

This is one of the most original and unique songs that I've heard in quite a while.  The sparseness of your arrangement gives the listener room to fill in the spaces.  When you finish this, I'd like to hear it again.

Lynn, 

Thanks for the superlatives.  It's a pretty messy recording...did it along time ago in sonar 7.  Thanks for your ears.

On 12/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, congalocke said:

Second tune I've listened to by you and I love it that you're not pedestrian and are exploring creative paths. It sounds like beginnings of a theatrical score with a touch of Zappa phrasing here and there.

Thanks for sharing...

Oh, zappa?  Interesting.  I'm not really sure where the song fits in.  Thanks for listening!

Edited by David Sprouse

On 12/20/2019 at 1:07 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Yeah! I heard "'70's TV show" in my brain . . . I like the suspenseful holds on many of the notes. What's next? we wonder . . .  I know it's a work in progress, maybe a little more reverb matching between the parts? But good so far, certainly held my interest.

cheers,

-Tom

Tom, there's a sample library that I've been wanting to get that has as it's theme 70's b-movies.  I love to hear from you .  Thanks for listening.

Edited by David Sprouse

On 12/23/2019 at 9:19 PM, bjornpdx said:

David
I had the same impression as Tom.  Reminded me of that kind of jazzy TV show music from the 70s.
Not sure if you could put lyrics to it, but I could see it as background to poetry or literature reading.

Thanks bjorn for listening.  I'm in the process of sequencing it again, and having some obsessive fun.