Is Internet Required for Live Performance Use?

Hotel California

Do I need an internet connection, once I've downloaded and updated Cakewalk by Bandlab?

right now I have Sonar Artist installed, but I'm curious about BandLab. I Only use Sonar with No Plugins for live use. Mainly for the Song list Feature and opening different projects for live use. I would like to use it without an internet connection.

Thank you in advance!

micdim

Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) requires activation through contact with the Bandlab website over the internet at least once every six months.  In between those times internet access is not required.  Another consideration is program updates have been released about  every two months.  Each update has included many stability and reported issues fixes.  Internet access is needed for the BandLab Assistant to manage activation and updates.

The BandLab Assistant (BA) desktop download manager does not need to run all the time but you do need to run it periodically so updates can be applied and activation kept current.  Perhaps connecting to the internet and running BandLab Assistant once a month is a reasonable option?

Edited by Jim Fogle

Thank you for clarifying how BandLab works. Unfortunately at this time, I don't update my computer very often for reasons that I can't afford to have issues rise. I've learned that leaving my updates alone ensures that my program works with no issues. That is how I've been using Sonar, and Windows > If it works, don't update, thus no issues.

thanks again Jim, much appreciate it!

P.S.

I wish I could just purchase Sonar and update at my own discretion.

Cheers

Edited by micdim

I think in cases like these it's updates that can be rolled back that's important.

It shurely isn't when but how an update is installed. If you are 100% sure that an update can be rolled back and don't leave a mess it should be fine to do an update whenever it suits you. You wouldn't be afraid that it should cause havoc on your existing setup.

I should mention that Cakewalk does not allow an update rollback.

Well, not a supported one at least. You'll have to fix it yourself.

Hopefully the Bandlab team reconsider this for the future development.

You are allowed to install Cakewalk by Bandlab on multiple computers so why not install it on another computer and test it out?

Then you can install and move over the projects to the one for live use when you're ready.

There is a potential reliability issue if it turns out that Cakewalk decides it is time for the obligatory periodic update/re-authorization while you are in the middle of a performance.  How Cakewalk makes this update decision is pretty opaque, so if you are not connected to the internet you could find yourself without full function unexpectedly. I am not clear how the clock is reset, which one would need to know if advising you to a strategy like trying to force a re-authorization just prior to the performance in hopes of avoiding the issue. It might be a useful feature to have Cakewalk warn some considerable time in advance prior to requiring connection, or to allow you to over-ride the attempt for a period of time. 

Starting with 2019-09 CbB issues a notice 14 days before the application needs to be reactivated.

From the use case described in the OP even if CbB lost its activation the program still works for existing playlists and project playback. When CbB is not activated the save function is disabled.

• Thanks 1

I totally agree with having trustworthy bulletproof software for live performance. Your fear of changing to something untested by you personally is not unfounded. 

As it is there would be no real difference as far as the playlist goes between the 2 versions. Home Studio is all you really need in that regard so Artist is a cut above. 

Why not install and use CbB and use it for creating your tracks but stay with Artist for performance?  

I have stayed with a version of Win Amp that must be 20 years old for this reason..  I've yet to find a replacement. Most media players are all about looking stuff up on line so you can have song info etc.  Win amp is the only player I have found that can stop when a song is finished,, manual playlist advance, nothing else has it.  I toyed with the Sonar playlist idea but my gripe was it was slow between songs. I sometime like to start the next song immediately while the last chord is still ringing.  

Some misconceptions.

Cakewalk will never get deactivated mid performance. 

Activation does not require updating the software. You can choose to activate directly from bandlab assistant now from the menu next to the Cakewalk button without installing a new build.

Activation is not required very frequently and you will get a reminder weeks before it's required giving you sufficient notice.

There playlist has been greatly improved and many issues fixed in the latest 2019.11 release, so it's a lot safer to use live than older versions.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) requires activation through contact with the Bandlab website over the internet at least once every six months.  In between those times internet access is not required.  Another consideration is program updates have been released about  every two months.  Each update has included many stability and reported issues fixes.  Internet access is needed for the BandLab Assistant to manage activation and updates.

The BandLab Assistant (BA) desktop download manager does not need to run all the time but you do need to run it periodically so updates can be applied and activation kept current.  Perhaps connecting to the internet and running BandLab Assistant once a month is a reasonable option?

That's what I got until now. But to me the reactivation thing is still foggy. There are 3 questions that are open for me regarding BA, updates and activation:

1. If I have installed CbB on more than one computer, is it possible to use the downloaded update or full installer on (an) other system(s)? (Important if you have a slow internet)
  2. When I update like described above, does the 6 month period restart also for the 2nd pc?
  3. If I start BA periodically does it automatically restart the 6 month period or can I use its reactivate action in advance (before it is necessary)?

I'll have to try the "new" playlist, I wasn't aware they had updated that feature, it seems very few people use it so that's cool they took the time to give it some attention. 

I would like to have the option of basic 4 track mixing as well as midi control of some lights and effects.  In 1984 my Atari controlled all this no problem. 

On 12/13/2019 at 9:01 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

2. Activation is per PC

So this means the update itself does not reset the reactivation. I have to start BA and do that manually. Thanks a lot for this info!!

I am glad that I can use the downloaded installer on my other pc and it is no big deal to start BA for reactivation! 😊