Hold Me Down

Kevin Walsh

I liked this a lot.
The simple arrangement works wonders and its so easy to go off on one and trying to be advanced etc.
You  nailed this one.

When my wife heard me singing "Hold Me Down"  thought I was getting a little kinky for a few secs  🙂
Somehow it reminded me a bit of Springsteen
Did you sing the harmonies separate or use Melodyne?.

Anyway... well done on a heartfelt song.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, garybrun said:

I liked this a lot.
The simple arrangement works wonders and its so easy to go off on one and trying to be advanced etc.
You  nailed this one.

When my wife heard me singing "Hold Me Down"  thought I was getting a little kinky for a few secs  🙂
Somehow it reminded me a bit of Springsteen
Did you sing the harmonies separate or use Melodyne?.

Anyway... well done on a heartfelt song.

Thank you for listening and providing feedback, Gary! I apologize for taking so long to respond, my Dad's been in the hospital for several weeks and it seems that my time is no longer my own. :)

Melodyne is incredibly useful for creating harmonies and I often use it in the writing process, but usually once I have them I set them aside and record the harmonies the old fashioned way. It sounds a lot better to my ear that way. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 4:58 PM, David Sprouse said:

You have such an intimate style, it really comes across in the recording.  Liked your lyrics alot.

Thank you, David!

On 12/14/2019 at 8:06 PM, Lynn said:

Kevin, I love this song and style of singing.  This is a song that I will listen to over and over because it has what many songs are missing, and that's heart.  I'll be back for more!

Wow, thanks Lynn!

On 12/16/2019 at 3:10 AM, Bob Oister said:

Hi, Kevin,

This is an absolutely fantastic song!👍😀

Well written and performed, with excellent vocals and harmonies, and the sparse, bare bones mix showcases the deep emotion and story of the song.

I also definitely agree with Steve about the very catchy chorus hook that instantly sticks in your head.

Great stuff, Kevin, dynamite job on this!😀

Have a good one!
Bob

Thanks Bob, that's high praise from the King of Hooks!

On 12/16/2019 at 6:29 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Kevin -  really like this a lot - like the song and the arrangement i think is perfect.

I think   quite a lot of us thin out what we use as we go along - i know i have - i have been going through a lot of our old stuff from 10 or more years ago lately - i opened one project that had 16 (yes sixteen) different synthesizers on it!! 

Cheers

Nigel

lol, thanks Nigel, that's a boatload of synths. I know orchestral guys use a lot of instances but that kind of work is beyond me. I'm more of a little ditty kind of a guy.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:56 AM, amiller said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this.  Very intimate indeed.😊👍

Thank you!

On 12/18/2019 at 6:53 PM, congalocke said:

Nice work. It's raw and yet it's fun to see you work with an effect in there. (what is that?). Thanks for sharing...

Thank you for listening! There is a single acoustic guitar track, a single bass track, a lead vocal track and maybe three harmony tracks. There's reverb in there (Re-Matrix solo,  the pro-channel version) and I use Izotope 9 to master. I also slapped in an Izotope imaging plug in to help fill in the holes. I used some pretty agressive settings on the imager.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:54 PM, Jesse Screed said:

very unalloyed

pure feel

we should all take a few steps in this direction

I shall try this approach myself

Thanks, Jesse. It's rather liberating. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

• 2 weeks later...