Hold Me Down

Kevin Walsh

This one is melancholy, but I'm sure that's what you were going for, so well done.
Very sparse, but I think it conveys the message.  "piano/vocal" demos, "guitar/vocal" demos, are just that, "demos";
but I think this one stands alone well. Is that what you meant by "deconstructing" your style?

Tom

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

This one is melancholy, but I'm sure that's what you were going for, so well done.
Very sparse, but I think it conveys the message.  "piano/vocal" demos, "guitar/vocal" demos, are just that, "demos";
but I think this one stands alone well. Is that what you meant by "deconstructing" your style?

Tom

Tom, thanks for giving it a listen and thanks for your comments. Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I'm currently experimenting with a several songs that try to communicate as much as possible with as little as possible.  This is one of them, as are my previous two, "Little Cloud" and "Eyes to the Ground" (also on that reverb nation page.) I'm trying to learn how to write songs that work for me with all my limitations as a musician and this is part of the process I've come up with. 

7 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Thanks for taking the time to listen! Your comments did a world of good for this apprentice songwriter to read, Steve!

You underestimate yourself .. still haunts me (My wife keeps saying ' why do you keep singing " Hold me down" ... so I said she had to hear this song ..Tom Waits came to mind .. all good)👍

Steve

8 hours ago, SPAK said:

You underestimate yourself .. still haunts me (My wife keeps saying ' why do you keep singing " Hold me down" ... so I said she had to hear this song ..Tom Waits came to mind .. all good)👍

Steve

Thanks, Steve! I do try. I have a hard drive just full of crap I wouldn't let my dog hear. I figure if I just keep writing them, I'm statistically likely to produce a few good ones before the heat-death of the universe. :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Great song.  I really liked the sparse mix.  This is a direction I'm trying to go myself , I really like playing a lot of instruments on my recordings but sometimes simpler is better .     

Thanks for the listen, Mark. It's a real challenge to get a lean mix to sound reasonably full and present. I tried a bazillion things with this one.

Hi, Kevin,

This is an absolutely fantastic song!👍😀

Well written and performed, with excellent vocals and harmonies, and the sparse, bare bones mix showcases the deep emotion and story of the song.

I also definitely agree with Steve about the very catchy chorus hook that instantly sticks in your head.

Great stuff, Kevin, dynamite job on this!😀

Have a good one!
Bob

Hi Kevin -  really like this a lot - like the song and the arrangement i think is perfect.

I think   quite a lot of us thin out what we use as we go along - i know i have - i have been going through a lot of our old stuff from 10 or more years ago lately - i opened one project that had 16 (yes sixteen) different synthesizers on it!! 

Cheers

Nigel