Bug Schlaga video - Prog song about bug guts

haydn12

• 1 month later...

Wow nice blend of sounds.  Tell your daughter I enjoyed the video - she did a great job.  What a production. You really got a lot of stuff going on.  How do yo keep up with all those Parts?  Wow! Was i never saw the drummer??? Was that Frank Zappa on the drums? I sure heard the Z influence in this song!

Max Arwood

Weird topic for a strange song!  Song was inspired by a trip up I-5 south of Sacramento.  It sounded like rain but was bugs.  I started calling the bug guts "Bug Schlaga" and it stuck with my kids.

Max, I will tell my daughter you enjoyed the video.  She received a perfect 70 out of 70 points for this project in her class.

The drums were played in on the keyboard using Superior Drummer 2.   There is some Frank Zappa influence plus They Might Be Giants, Neal Morse (he has Gentle Giant influences), Genesis, Rush and Yes.   

Jim 

I love all the father/daughter-son collaborations.  So much talent everywhere!  I hope music stays in public schools.  I know it really trained my mind for mathematics (the maths?).  I wonder if this was prompted by that song *sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield* <Mary Chapin Carpenter>

Edited by David Sprouse

Fun song and well done.  Great playing, mix and creative video.  Oh yea great vocals/harmonies!  It sounds like Love Bug season in Florida.  We're lucky.  We have two seasons for Love Bugs -- spring and early fall.  I enjoyed this creative work by you and your daughter.  Please relay my kudos to your daughter.

Love it! All kinds of goodness in it (song and video). Wallflower, you're not. 😎

Can relate. Drive across a Mississippi River bridge up around La Crosse, WI in May. The June Bugs (they should be called May Bugs) can be so bad, that your windshield becomes completely obliterated in a single crossing, requiring a stop on the other side to clean things up enough to see. Sorta.

You have my sympathy.

Jim
Fun song and fun video. The song reminds me of what it's like driving around Klamath Lake in southern Oregon. Splattered bugs all over the front of your car. Can't even read the license plate.
Hope your daughter is or becomes an accomplished musician like yourself. One man band for sure.

My daughter does play the flute and piccolo.  We play in the Chandler Gilbert Community College Concert band.  I play flute and keyboards when needed in the band.  She is into graphic design which is what she is studying at ASU.

Jim

Coming up with titles for posts can be interesting.  It's hard to discuss a song about bug guts!

Thanks for all the comments.  I've shown them to my daughter.  Have to get her working on another video.  What should I write about next?!

Jim