How install to drive other than C

geswho22

When creating directory junctions the name used for the junction cannot already exist on the drive.

IOW in the following command

mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" D:\Cakewalk

will fail if there already is a folder called Cakewalk in "C:\Program Files" because the file system cannot have both a folder and a directory junction with the same name.

The process is

• Move the folder from its current location to the new location
  • Then create the junction using the old folder name pointing the the new folder location.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This is absolutely unbelievable @bandlab - your assistant installer doesn't provide any option to change the default folders which you can view (and open a finder browse) on settings in the windows assistant app. Please prioritize installation folder customization as an option in a future release. Please.

Gabriel

On 10/23/2020 at 5:08 PM, John Schlegel said:

tried all these methods...although there are some minor differences to get into admin command...... The command for cakewalk projects worked, but, the second one program files \cakewalk  to D:\cakewalk does not. it keeps saying it cannot create the file because the file already exists ????

The only thing I can suggest is does "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" actually exist on your system? If it does you need to move it to your desired location before creating a soft link  or a junction to that location. As for running as an administrator the simplest way I know is to be logged on as an administrator, right click the batch file and select "Run as administrator"...

i have a TINY old SSD (125GB RAID1, its old and hence small) but I have a heap of programs and samples "installed" on C drive (>400GB), as well as the OS and apps etc. what i did a few years back when it first started to get overloaded/full was create junction points. in the OS, it appears that it physically sits on the C drive (SSD), at a very low system level, it jumps to another drive (a HDD). It is actually used heavily by the windows OS already, so its not something unusual/funky. i have moved my stuff onto my 4TB RAID1 H drive (a large pinning HDD) 

So my C drive looks like the below in windows explorer (Take note of the different folder icons on the Junction Points. NB: The red circles are simply cut points I added to the image to make it smaller

492975761_Cdrive.png.15eb7ad97de71978d80cf6bb80564099.png

And below is my H drive i.e. the true physical location of the files.

771549404_HDrive.PNG.4ee9109dcce33a84211e2e57e360cf17.PNG

An example command I used

mklink /D /J "C:\Program Files\Music Applications" "H:\JunctionSources\C_Program Files_Music Applications"

I have mostly done it after the fact (ie installed to C and then transferred to H). But If you create an empty folder/junction point and then install, I would say it will be installed directly to H. Currently, as I have a junction point on "C:\Program Files\Music Applications" to "H:\JunctionSources\C_Program Files_Music Applications", anything I install under "C:\Program Files\Music Applications\*" will actually get installed to H drive, but appear to be located on C drive to the OS and the app itself.

H Drive.PNG

Once its done, its totally transparent to the user, i.e. no need to run as system admin.

Edited by JohnK
spelling / typos

• 2 months later...

@JohnK  Glad you posted this.  I came to this thread because I have a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.  Mklink does seem to be the way to handle this.  Many people are aware of what the winsxs folder is for, and this is how it works.  I just didn't know it was available to ordinary users.  For others getting this far here is a link I found from my searches to understand how this works.  Explains it simply and understandably:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

It's of particular use after you have installed a program, and then create junctions using copy/paste to get things right.

Now I gotta go find out what happens when you want to make a backup image of your drive.

Edited by dave coomber