Newbie midi and vsti question

Matt Pearce

Hi Guys

Really new to cakewalk. So i have a midi track of a commercial song which i want to use for myself to learn the guitar solos etc.. so there is a piano midi track1, and its some real ropey epiano synth. I have a copy of ivory Yamaha vsti.  how/can i even change the instrument on this midi channel to use the ivory vsti???  

sorry for lame question, i have been googling but not rally found what im looking for.  thank you 

Essentially , you can load the Ivory VSTi synth in the Synth rack and point the MIDI output of track 1 to that VSTi.  You do this by looking for the small widget labeled  ( O ) - stands for output , (C )  stands for channel  (B ) stands for bank. You  right click on the ( O )  output and assign it to the instrument and you may may need to set  ( C ) the midi channel of that midi track and correspondingly set the  Ivory Yamaha to receive on that Midi channel. That might depend on what other tracks are assigned to, but generally if it's the only VSTi loaded and that track is assigned to it - you might be able to leave it assigned to omni by default. Look for some general  Tutorials on VSTi instruments on Cakewalk. There are other methods - but I think this is a basic method. When you load a VST instrument - it will create " audio"  tracks from the output of the VSTi. You may need to assign those tracks outputs appropriately to your audio interface. 

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1