Humble Bundle - Filmmakers ( inc Hitfilm Pro 14.1 )

aidan o driscoll

Quick note to add to Matthew's for those who haven't bought/tried the Ukramedia scripts yet. The Ukramedia scripts require the CC version of Adobe After Effects. I have the Adobe CS5.5 so will not run there, and my version is also dependent on Quick Time, which was recommended to be removed from systems years ago due to security issues, so AE eliminated itself before this deal occurred.

Premeire Pro 5.5 (from CS5.5) is in a similar boat for me, since the audio VST blacklist required so much maintenance that I eventually wrote a script to rename my VST folders when launching PP. It defeated the purpose of using a program productively when you spend more time on workarounds. Adobe went down the path of making users choose to either allow Adobe to force them down a path of dependency or kick Adobe to the curb. One big selling point for CC was the interoperability between applications, but in recent years more and more competitors are accommodating this, some more seamlessly than others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 9:02 PM, Christian Jones said:

Trying hard not to collect and only buy what I'll actually use.

17 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

*sigh*

J.C., 40 days and nights in the desert:

Away from me, Satan!

C.J., after 3 pages in Larry's Lair of Deals:

*sigh*

4B36584D-CBF0-4E84-9781-C457A67EA0B0.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I guess I'm trying to convince myself this is a no-brainer price and I "have" to buy it...

If you need to add special effects to your projections this is a pretty good deal.

Outside of that, I personally don't see the value if you are happy with Vegas 14.  And if you are not happy with Vegas 14, Davinci Resolve for Free is where I'd be looking first.  

• Thanks 1

I've been using Vegas for years and currently on v16. Because it crashes a lot and I just wanted to try something different I recently went for the free DaVinci Resolve and now HitFilm Pro.  Resolve is good but it has a whole other way of doing things compared to Vegas or Adobe Premiere.  HitFilm seems geared more for special effects and you get a bunch of those with the Humble deal (and they work in Vegas too. Haven't checked Resolve) . I caught on to the HitFilm way of doing things pretty fast and so far it seems stable. It probably won't replace Vegas but it's good for the brain to try out new stuff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

I've been using Vegas for years and currently on v16. Because it crashes a lot and I just wanted to try something different I recently went for the free DaVinci Resolve and now HitFilm Pro.  Resolve is good but it has a whole other way of doing things compared to Vegas or Adobe Premiere.  HitFilm seems geared more for special effects and you get a bunch of those with the Humble deal (and they work in Vegas too. Haven't checked Resolve) . I caught on to the HitFilm way of doing things pretty fast and so far it seems stable. It probably won't replace Vegas but it's good for the brain to try out new stuff.

Premire Pro was my primary NLE, I've done hundreds of hours of projects on it.

I own Vegas, oddly I found the "other way of doing things" to be the mode of operation for Vegas

DaVinci is the I use it as long as I'm using a PC that is capable of running it software.  I found it is more in line with the way Premere Pro operates than Vegas, though all of these programs you have to look up "how to" on a number of things.  

Haven't tried Hit Film recently but I was suprised at the operating requirements of their Photo RAW processor software, wouldn't even run on one of my machines that I have ALL of the other market leaders on (Capture One, Lightroom, Luminar, On1 RAW, Darktable, Rawtherapee)  This alone gives me some reservation for anyone that isn't using the latest machine.  

More info from a conversation on the Samplitude Forum (must be logged in) for those still on the fence on this one.  I did purchase it mainly for the additional stuff as I have Vegas Pro 14 (refuse to give Magix another $199) and dabbled in Resolve.  I'm not a power user but this was interesting.

Philw: I've installed Hitfilm Express (free) to discover, but there's no way to setup audio pref, that's insane, I have no sound (meters works, clip has audio in it).

Trensharo: I would use HitFilm Pro over Free Resolve, unless I used formats only supported by Resolve (and not HitFilm).

I would use Resolve Studio over HitFilm Pro, though, except for small[er] hobby projects where I just don't want to deal with the "extras," forced project setup/management, and don't have a lot of footage to manage.

Ignite Pro can be used with practically any NLE, incl. Resolve, but what's supported depends on the particular host.  Generally you won't get full support in anything that isn't a Compositing/VFX package (Adobe After Effects, Apple Motion, maybe [not] Blackmagic Fusion).

For small projects, HitFilm is fine, though.  I got the bundle, mostly for the Ignite Pro Plugins... but I also replaced my VEGAS Pro install with HitFilm Pro.  FXhome supports the projects better ,and with VEGAS you're perpetually waiting on fixes and stuck with a broken product when a new one is released.  Samplitude Pro X is fortunate to have a longer release cadence, IMHO.

Also, anytime I have to reinstall VEGAS Pro (sometimes it would get broken to the point where I have to do this), I'd have to reinstall Sound Forge Pro and ACID Pro, since Uninstalling VEGAS Pro breaks all of the DIrectX plugins and often I have to do a full registry clean and then reinstall everything to fix it (or I'd get random error messages due to things not being registered properly).  Only happens with VEGAS Pro 😞

Philw: I am not enough pro in video to go deep inside softs... your experience is interesting, thanks.

Anyway, I have a reply from the Hitfilm forum and... it's a joke... you CAN'T setup the audio in this soft, period. It's a powerful soft, that can be used professionally, but you can't setup the audio...?!?! how it's possible, in 2019 ? Win Audio is deactivated here, I use only the soundcard, so it's dead. Impressive.

Trensharo: HitFilm is a VFX/Compositing Application with necessary editing functionality tacked onto it.  It is not a DAW turned into an NLE like VEGAS Pro.

Some applications have holdover "issues" informed by history.  For example, Resolve is an amazing NLE, but it has stupid high GPU requirements that result from its history as a color grading platform.  So, even if you run it only for Audio Post (Fairlight), you still need a decent GPU or you're going to run into performance issues.

Because HitFilm started off as a budget alternative to After Effects, this has informed its early development, and that's why it has this shortcoming today.

For years, HitFilm Pro (which used to include the Ignite Plugins, as well) was bundled in the Vegas Pro Suites by Sony.  So, many people would get VEGAS Pro Suite as a cheaper alternative to the Adobe Video Suite (Vegas, HitFilm, and Sound Forge Pro, DVD Architect, etc.).  This is why HitFilm has shipped integration plugins for VEGAS Pro since many years ago.

If you need an NLE with good Audio functionality, then HitFilm Pro is not the NLE for you.  I don't even think it supports VST plugins.  It's a VFX/Compositing Solution with the necessary editing functionality built into it.

This would not be a problem, except it doesn't support common interchange formats like OMF and AAF...

SO either get VEGAS Pro 16/17 + HitFilm Pro, or use a different NLE like Resolve Studio while saving money and gaining on functionality (but also system requirements), without the round tripping headache (Resolve does not support ASIO, though).